Mixers and ProTools for Windows

Hey LTT Forum,

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured the general discussion board would be the best.  So, basically, I studied audio engineering while in college and in those days its was all about ProTools on Macs.  It was the industry standard and everybody used it.  Let's flash forward to today, where I still think Mac/ProTools is the standard, but PCs and ProTool for Windows has certainly closed the gap.  Being out of the audio mixing/mastering game for about 12 years now, what would be a nice home studio board to get that won't break the bank, but still has great usability with ProTools Windows.  I  don't need some giant 64 channel mixer.  I'm talking 16 channels and something that can fit on or under my desk.  I look forward to hearing everyone's input!  Thanks

~Tropton13~

ProTools is waaay overrated and doesn't offer a whole lot over other choices, at least not anymore. Been using Reaper for a long time now and I've only spent $60 on it as they have two more than fair licenses (which you can find on their website). It comes with every single plugin you need unless for some reason you prefer something else like different compressors maybe for example. That of course is if you don't already have ProTools. ;)

As for audio interfaces, I would spend the money on something from Focusrite as they have really good quality gear. You could also get you a rack started because if you want to get back into the game, you're going to be tempted to buy even more gear.

2 hours ago, tropton13 said:

Hey LTT Forum,

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured the general discussion board would be the best.  So, basically, I studied audio engineering while in college and in those days its was all about ProTools on Macs.  It was the industry standard and everybody used it.  Let's flash forward to today, where I still think Mac/ProTools is the standard, but PCs and ProTool for Windows has certainly closed the gap.  Being out of the audio mixing/mastering game for about 12 years now, what would be a nice home studio board to get that won't break the bank, but still has great usability with ProTools Windows.  I  don't need some giant 64 channel mixer.  I'm talking 16 channels and something that can fit on or under my desk.  I look forward to hearing everyone's input!  Thanks

~Tropton13~

I haven't used Reaper much, but from what I know it's solid. I started with logic 9 then switched to Cubase. I like Cubase, it was easy to figure out. Mind you I only did recording and mixing as a hobby, but Cubase is a solid program. As for mixers... sorry can't really help there :/ 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

The thread was moved to the Audio section

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Reaper is drastically bet in my opinion since pro tools can only do so many channels so cant be used for surround audio. (i know theres a mod but its stupid and doesnt work well and for some reason hollywood still uses it but there idiots)

A cheap digital desk with a usb card added would work well. Behringer X32 line is probably the cheapest decent desk. The compact has a decent amount of faders and is pretty small, and still has the scribble strips and a decent size screen
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/X32-COMPACT/p/P0AAP
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Mixer-Accessories/X-USB/p/P0AZP

Allen & Heath Qu-16 comes up quite a bit as a DAW controller, as does the Behringer X32 as Ahoy Hoy mentions. I'd start looking at those to see what fits your needs best.

- Should also mention that through experience using the Qu Series that the multi track routing is nice and easy and a bit quicker than the X32 if memory serves.  I did also have issues with recording through USB on Qu but only on my surface pro 4 and there's no mention that I've come across documenting someone having a similar problem so maybe just me

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

15 hours ago, Steinway said:

Allen & Heath Qu-16 comes up quite a bit as a DAW controller, as does the Behringer X32 as Ahoy Hoy mentions. I'd start looking at those to see what fits your needs best.

- Should also mention that through experience using the Qu Series that the multi track routing is nice and easy and a bit quicker than the X32 if memory serves.  I did also have issues with recording through USB on Qu but only on my surface pro 4 and there's no mention that I've come across documenting someone having a similar problem so maybe just me

QU does something strange when you record multi tracks and it requires you to download software from A&H to play it, I personally found the QU annoying to work with. 

11 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

snip

Hmm, my experience with it is a little different, I simply installed the ASIO drivers and have access to all the ins and outs within REAPER. Maybe you are refering to Qu-Drive? I've only ever used the stereo recording which puts out a .WAV file, and I think the multi track version would just give you .WAV files for each input.

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.