AMD Stock cooler overheating over 100 degrees

Senpai_Jaayy

I have an AMD Anthlon X4 860k running with the stock cooler that AMD provides, But my CPU is overheating to 90 degrees just by opening google chrome and is at 78-85 at idle.

When I run any game whether its minecraft or Resident Evil 7,even though the games run at consistent frame rates, the temperature goes up to 100-110 degrees.

There are no cables blocking the cpu fan, cable management is fair. I have only 1 Case fan pushing air out of the case.

Should I just reapply thermal paste or should I get a new cooler?

2017.02.17-19.14_01.png

2017.02.17-19.10_01.png

2017.02.17-19.08_01.png

2017.02.17-19.08.png

Just get a new cooler

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

1 minute ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Just get a new cooler

Can you recommend a good one between 10~20 bucks please?

2 minutes ago, Senpai_Jaayy said:

Can you recommend a good one between 10~20 bucks please?

https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/neweggmkt/LPVBD3

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

4 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Your thermal paste is shiet. No cooler is that bad. But yeah, get a new one. There are plenty youtube vids to help you decide..

yes I will, this one got recommended to me 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177GTUE6?m=A3EOPO7J42GV74&ref_=v_sp_detail_page
Do you think it do the job? i dont really know that much about coolers

You need a new cooler . Remember to clean off the old thermal paste before applying the new cooler and thermal paste.

Also you probably want to leave your PC off until you have done this otherwise your CPU/motherboard will probably die soon.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need a new cooler . Remember to clean off the old thermal paste before applying the new cooler and thermal paste.

Also you probably want to leave your PC off until you have done this otherwise your CPU/motherboard will probably die soon.

appreciate the advice

That's bad even by stock cooler standards

Bad mount, reseat it and use some good thermal paste

4 minutes ago, Senpai_Jaayy said:

yes I will, this one got recommended to me 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177GTUE6?m=A3EOPO7J42GV74&ref_=v_sp_detail_page
Do you think it do the job? i dont really know that much about coolers

It's not a high preformance one, that's for sure. But I should do a much better job than the stock one

8 minutes ago, Senpai_Jaayy said:

Its actually pretty small

There's no way your CPU is that hot, speccy is almost definitely reading the temp wrong. That being said you should still replace the stock cooler.

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

There's is no way your CPU is that hot, speccy is almost definitely reading the temp wrong. That being said you should still replace the stock cooler.

Speccy is not the only program that i used to read temps, but yes i am going replace the cooler with the Cryorig M9a, thanks for your reply

5 minutes ago, Senpai_Jaayy said:

Speccy is not the only program that i used to read temps, but yes i am going replace the cooler with the Cryorig M9a, thanks for your reply

Most programs have problems calculating the temp of AMD CPUs so that isn't surprising.

Are you sure your cooler is not completely clogged with thick layers of dust and crap? And are you also sure the fan is actually still working?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Isn't that an Intel cooler though? This is an AM3 CPU.

FM2+ actually but they use the same cooler mount design.

1 hour ago, Light-Yagami said:

Your thermal paste is shiet. No cooler is that bad. But yeah, get a new one. There are plenty youtube vids to help you decide..

Thermal compound doesn't make a massive difference like that dude.

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

I too call for bad temp readings. Check what BIOS says for idle and compare idle in Windows.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, JohnBRoark said:

Thermal compound doesn't make a massive difference like that dude.

If there is not enough of it or if it doesn't transfer heat as it should because it's old, then of course it makes a difference.

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I too call for bad temp readings. Check what BIOS says for idle and compare idle in Windows.

^ ^  I agree, thermtrip should be shutting down the system at anywhere near those temps.

1 hour ago, Light-Yagami said:

If there is not enough of it or if it doesn't transfer heat as it should because it's old, then of course it makes a difference.

Old/New or Good/Bad thermal compound doesn't make a crazy big difference man. 

Here is a image comparing loads off different good and bad thermal compounds, you can see that between worst and best thermal compound there was only five degrees of difference.

The only thing thermal compound does is transfer heat to an actual heat sink. I've used systems before with no thermal paste at all that worked just fine (though I'd never recommend it.) Having much better thermal paste will do little to nothing to actually improve the preformance of your heatsink. Thermal compound also doesn't really age badly, unless it's caked in dust. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list.