The not so good G3258 - Overclock

Not so long ago I made the decision to buy a G3258. I thought it will be a good CPU, I just have to overclock it. And relying on that was a mistake.Not a huge mistake, but still a mistake. I red some forums about people achiving 4.5-4.7GHz overclocks at around 1.225V. A few days later all the parts arrived at my door, time to build it. Everything went fine, so it was time to overclock it, right? Well, that's what I thought, I looked up some guides, then I began the pre-overclock system stability/base tests. I noticed that the core voltage was 1.176V under load, wich was way over the 1.025-1.04 range that most people had. At first, it didn't really bother me, as long as the overclock goes fine. The came the overclock. I'm not going to list all the steps I made, here are the parts and results.

---PARTS---

Motehrboard - MSI H81M-E33

Power supply - Some random cheap 500W Danubius PSU

RAM - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz

CPU - Intel Pentium G3258

GPU - XFX RX460 4GB, single fan

CPU cooler - LC Power LC-CC-120-LiCo

---RESULTS---

4.0GHz@1.375VCore, 1.875VCCIN. Temps are low, in the mid-high 70s (Celsius), but that's to be expected with that cooler. Can I do anything about it, or did I simply lose the silicon lottery? I might try a different PSU, I saw a pretty big delta in some voltages (12V is anywhere between 11.75 and 12.80).

On 2/17/2017 at 4:14 PM, TotalMoron said:

I'd hone in on this as a possibility. A silicon lottery loser in the G3258 world is one that only hits 4.2GHz. If your PSU isn't the issue, then yeah, I think you just lost big. Sorry :(

On 2/17/2017 at 4:28 PM, PCMasterDebater said:

You need a Z rated board to overclock past 4.2 ghz.

If you don't know what the f-ck you're talking about.

Signed,

A guy who got his G3258 to 4.5GHz on a B85 board, and 4.4GHz on an H81M.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

On 2/17/2017 at 4:36 PM, PCMasterDebater said:

-snip-

1. Open PC

2. Insert G3258

3. Attach cooler

4. Enter BIOS. Stress in Windows. Adjust vCore as needed, as high as 1.4v if cooling allowed.

5. 4.5GHz on ASUS B85E/CSM, 4.4GHz on some MSI H81M piece of crap, 4.4GHz on MSI Z97S-SLI Krait Edition. 

Your move, ace. What super technical, impossible to understand stuff did you do to get your G3258 almost up to the speed that an overclocking utility would have set it to, hm?

Moral of the story: don't tell someone looking for help that they're an idiot, especially when you seem to not have any idea what you're talking about yourself.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

1. Open PC

2. Insert G3258

3. Attach cooler

4. Enter BIOS. Stress in Windows. Adjust vCore as needed, as high as 1.4v if cooling allowed.

5. 4.5GHz on B85, 4.4GHz on H81M, 4.4GHz on Z97. 

Your move, ace. What super technical, impossible to understand stuff did you do to get your G3258 almost up to the speed that an overclocking utility would have set it to, hm?

Moral of the story: don't tell someone looking for help that they're an idiot, especially when you seem to not have any idea what you're talking about yourself.

Cause its the same on all mobos right?  -Rolls eyes-

Keep trying. Your new to this. I've build more computers then you've used in your life.

Gigabytes h81 doesn't allow anything beyond 4.2ghz or 1.3v. Locked solid in the bios, only passible by bios update. But of course you know this... Right?  Please kid, sit down.

And you only got 4.4 on the Z97.. Lawl.

Also, 1.4v's on a h board will fry the power phases, consider there are only 4-6 of them. Depending on the boards of course   :P

Check mate.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

3 minutes ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Keep trying. Your new to this. I've build more computers then you've used in your life.

Mine's bigger.

OP, this numbnuts talks a bad game and plays a worse one. An H81 board does not lock you to 4.2GHz. I think it's your power supply, but if not, I think your chip only matched one number in the silicon lottery.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Mine's bigger.

OP, this numbnuts talks a bad game and plays a worse one. An H81 board does not lock you to 4.2GHz. I think it's your power supply, but if not, I think your chip only matched one number in the silicon lottery.

If the Op wants to throw money away. Sure, encourage the purchase of a unnecessary PSU on a system that pulls less then 250w's. But you know so much after all.  Lawl.

OP, 4.2ghz aint bad at all. Enjoy it   :)

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

Not checking yout notifications for a few hours, and this happens... This mobo has 4 power phases, and I don't plan to fry them *sets VCore to 1.4V*. This PSU was used to power and older system with a GTX 260GS, that's the reason for the 500W, but the PSU is only a year old, it wasn't used that much. I'm going to check it with a few different PSUs, and a "different" mobo, the MSI H81M-P33. It's the exact same PCB, but maybe. CPU voltages are rock solid, I don't think that there is an issue there.

1 hour ago, PCMasterDebater said:

You need a Z rated board to overclock past 4.2 ghz. No one failed you but yourself.

i can oc mine to 4.4ghz on  an msi b85i itx

A little update: 4.4&4.3 got me into Windows, then crashed, I was able to open CPU-Z at 4.2, and prime95 ran for about 10 minutes at 4.1

in most cases the less than z-chipset will voltage lock under 1.3v (a lot of them are 1.25). this will be a factor in the overclock being stable.

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

To OP: "H" boards can oc the cpu just fine past 4.2Ghz, though i don't know how well MSI will fair, most successful overclocks of the G3258 are on Asus's H81 boards. And just for reference I had a Z97 board and mine wouldn't go above 4.1 Ghz and keep stable, that wasn't the fault of the mobo though, since its a CPU binning lottery and it all mainly depends on how lucky you get.

correct, to this point, on my asus z97i i could easily go 5.1GHz on 1.45v VCORE stable, but only 4.3GHz on 1.20v VCORE. so it really comes to what the silicon needs to stably hold the multiplier to the limited amount of VCORE voltage supplied. this is where the z-platform is best suited. but for assurance, really no fps/performance differences between 4.2GHz and 4.3GHz.

2 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Wow, 5.1 Ghz that's quite something, though i didn't had the cooling back then to take it that far voltage wise.

it is a lot of number, but fails in actual performances.

cinebench r15 only a 360 and single core 195 which is high (stock 244/130) but when pressed not a lot of umph behind the speed.

h100i with 800rpm fans at 78°

On 2/17/2017 at 4:28 PM, PCMasterDebater said:

I have the same motherboard, and I ran my Pentium G3258 at 4.7 ghz with a combination of BCLK overclocking, and multiplier increasing, I used an older bios, and had to do a lot of tweaking.

If you want a stable overclock that doesn't need BCLK editing, you want Z170.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

54 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I have the same motherboard, and I ran my Pentium G3258 at 4.7 ghz with a combination of BCLK overclocking, and multiplier increasing, I used an older bios, and had to do a lot of tweaking.

If you want a stable overclock that doesn't need BCLK editing, you want Z170.

Do you mean an MSI H81M board? If yes, wich BIOS did you use?

12 hours ago, TotalMoron said:

Do you mean an MSI H81M board? If yes, wich BIOS did you use?

The H81M-E33, an MSI H81m board.
Version 6.6

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-E33.html#down-bios

I broke that motherboard, so I got a new one, and am currently using it with an i5-4590.

Just to let you guys know, only about 5% of known Pentium G3258's can reach 4.8 ghz.

Most of them max out at 4.1 or 4.2 ghz, and I can attest to this, as my best bud has a Z97 series motherboard, and can max out at only 4 ghz.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

4 hours ago, He_162 said:

The H81M-E33, an MSI H81m board.
Version 6.6

You also said that you edited the base clock. But the MSI H81M-E33 doesn't allow the BCLK to be changed.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:40 AM, TotalMoron said:

You also said that you edited the base clock. But the MSI H81M-E33 doesn't allow the BCLK to be changed.

It's unmodified bios doesn't, as far as I know. CPU-Z confirmed it at the time, unless I was using a different mobo, which I don't think is the case.

On 18/02/2017 at 8:14 AM, TotalMoron said:

Not so long ago I made the decision to buy a G3258. I thought it will be a good CPU, I just have to overclock it. And relying on that was a mistake.Not a huge mistake, but still a mistake. I red some forums about people achiving 4.5-4.7GHz overclocks at around 1.225V. A few days later all the parts arrived at my door, time to build it. Everything went fine, so it was time to overclock it, right? Well, that's what I thought, I looked up some guides, then I began the pre-overclock system stability/base tests. I noticed that the core voltage was 1.176V under load, wich was way over the 1.025-1.04 range that most people had. At first, it didn't really bother me, as long as the overclock goes fine. The came the overclock. I'm not going to list all the steps I made, here are the parts and results.

---PARTS---

Motehrboard - MSI H81M-E33

RAM - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz

CPU - Intel Pentium G3258

GPU - XFX RX460 4GB, single fan

CPU cooler - LC Power LC-CC-120-LiCo

---RESULTS---

4.0GHz@1.375VCore, 1.875VCCIN. Temps are low, in the mid-high 70s (Celsius), but that's to be expected with that cooler. Can I do anything about it, or did I simply lose the silicon lottery? I might try a different PSU, I saw a pretty big delta in some voltages (12V is anywhere between 11.75 and 12.80).

The motherboard would be the main problem. My i7 4790K could overclock to 4.8GHz on my Asus H87M Pro (quite easily too-only the voltage and multiplier were changed from auto), however it did require a significantly higher voltage than it does on my Z97 Sabertooth (4.8GHz @ 1.35V instead of 1.4V) to reach that overclock.

And I think you did kind of lose out on the silicon lottery, although you can find cheap replacements/upgrades on Ebay which run better without the need to rely on an overclock.

On 18/02/2017 at 8:28 AM, PCMasterDebater said:

No you don't.

On 18/02/2017 at 8:45 AM, PCMasterDebater said:

Cause its the same on all mobos right?  -Rolls eyes-

Gigabytes h81 doesn't allow anything beyond 4.2ghz or 1.3v. Locked solid in the bios, only passible by bios update. But of course you know this... Right?  Please kid, sit down.

And you only got 4.4 on the Z97.. Lawl.

Also, 1.4v's on a h board will fry the power phases, consider there are only 4-6 of them. Depending on the boards of course   :P

Check mate.

No, the VRM won't be fried as Haswell and Broadwell have a FIVR, which takes a lot of the load off the motherboard's VRM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The motherboard would be the main problem. My i7 4790K could overclock to 4.8GHz on my Asus H87M Pro (quite easily too-only the voltage and multiplier were changed from auto), however it did require a significantly higher voltage than it does on my Z97 Sabertooth (4.8GHz @ 1.35V instead of 1.4V) to reach that overclock.

And I think you did kind of lose out on the silicon lottery.

My friend has a Z97 motherboard, maybe I'll ask him if I can test my Pentium in his system. If the CPU only goes up to 4.0-4.1GHz on that, then at least I know that the CPU is the issue. 

You can find cheap replacements/upgrades on Ebay which run better without the need to rely on an overclock.

I'm not planning to upgrade any time soon.