Youtube's Unskippable 30-second Ads Are Going Away

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Why not remove all ads entirely? 

That'll work just fine! 

Oh wait, Servers cost money... 

INSERT LINK TO SOURCE HERE

Youtube sucks all around. They change stuff all the time, some designs make no sense. Then you have Google starting to shove unwanted content from garbage channels in your face who are totally not shills and biased to one specific narrative.

You may not remember when literally everyone was throwing fits about Youtube implementing advertisements on videos, but now many people don't really care. It's been put on us so much that we either just skip when available or turn on some kind of ad block extension. It's become the norm. Google knows best amirite guise.

Well, now they're throwing out the idea of unskippable 30-second ads, right into the garbage where it belongs.

Google has announced that it will cease allowing 30-second unskippable preroll ads on YouTube videos from next year, reports Campaign.

Google explained that its aim is to provide a better advertising experience for online users. “As part of that, we’ve decided to stop supporting 30-second unskippable ads as of 2018 and focus instead on formats that work well for both users and advertisers.”

T2NINhwlHgOSk.gif

Well I'll be gosh derned to heck, friend. Google is all of a sudden figuring out what the little people who are their products users want.

Weeeelllll.... not really.

While it’ll be great to lose the most unpopular ad format, it isn’t all good news …

Aside from having to wait until next year, Google says that 20-second non-skippable ads will continue, and it will also be making heavier use of so-called ‘bumper ads’: unskippable 6-second ads.

MRW

Wq4XuPC9gFzR6.gif

The author of the article goes on to say that an "industry insider" says that Google/Youtube is worried about Facebook's video platform becoming a competitor to Youtube. I can see it happening as people who already have Facebook accounts can just directly upload to Facebook and not have to have a Google/Youtube account. I don't think advertisements exist on uploaded Facebook videos yet either, but I might be wrong.

If Google/Youtube would just stop screwing up the website (in terms of design and creator bias) then they wouldn't have to be worried I think. But what do I know.

Alright guys today's sponsor is....

LinusTechTips Forum Mods

LTT forum mods. Lock every thread.

pls no ban ok

We have the best mods, don't we folks? 

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

LTT forum mods. Lock every thread.

pls no ban ok

We have the best mods, don't we folks? 

well, that sure helps your case ?

inb4 lock I guess ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

well, that sure helps your case ?

It's a joke.

Now if we could just stop the stupid unskippable 2-3 MINUTE ads.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, Jed M said:

They're making a lot of good choices lately... Cancelling PewDiePie's shows, deciding which videos are allowed on trending without any real reason, etc.

I hope they update the Youtube Android app to the iPhone version. Boy oh boy would that be the best decision ever :)

I seriously don't understand what's the fuss is with YouTube ads. They're as shit not like the 5 minutes of constant ads you get on actual TV. People get it wrapped up in their heads that the internet is "free", so everything on it should be "free", when it's not. Go to the source video of any 30 second non-skippable ad and all people comment on is how the company is a scumbag for making an un-skippable ad. Entitlement much?  Just look at Air Canada's recent advertisement campaign, absolute cancer in the comment section. Not because of the content itself, but the fact that it's an ad, that's non-skippable.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I hope they update the Youtube Android app to the iPhone version. Boy oh boy would that be the best decision ever :)

I (as an iPhone user) was unaware of a major difference between the two versions. What are the differences?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I seriously don't understand what's the fuss is with YouTube ads. They're as shit not like the 5 minutes of constant ads you get on actual TV. People get it wrapped up in their heads that the internet is "free", so everything on it should be "free", when it's not. Go to the source video of any 30 second non-skippable ad and all people comment on is how the company is a scumbag for making an in-skippable ad. Entitlement much?  Just look at Air Canada's recent advertisement complain, absolute cancer in the comment section. Not because of the content itself, but the fact that it's an ad, that's non-skippable.

The problem for me personally is that it used up data for me when I just wanted to watch a quick video. I ended up getting Youtube Red (comes with Google Play Music subscription) so I don't have this problem now, but still.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

I (as an iPhone user) was unaware of a major difference between the two versions. What are the differences?

Navigation is slightly different. on iPhone from my understanding, the navigation buttons are on the bottom of the screen. On Android, they're toward the top and you can swipe between them instead of only having to press them.

YouTube on TV doesn't have adblocker rip

Ooooooo...Godbytes is looking at this thread...wonder if anything is going to happen... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

The problem for me personally is that it used up data for me when I just wanted to watch a quick video. I ended up getting Youtube Red (comes with Google Play Music subscription) so I don't have this problem now, but still.

I suppose if it's proportionate to the video length, then it'll be better.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ooooooo...Godbytes is looking at this thread...wonder if anything is going to happen... :P 

Quickly, press backspace.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Now if we could just stop the stupid unskippable 2-3 MINUTE ads.

You can skip them by pressing F5....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Eh... I use uBlock, never saw an ad on Youtube.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

'cause your font and link thing at the top that you did at the top was factually annoying to the eye. So, when I edit a post, I follow a very formal layout. This allows me to edit quickly the thread and pass to other things and not start playing with styles, font size, and so on.

he is following the rules, Wether it is annoying to you, or not, shouldnt really matter, should it? If so, can we please have a "things that annoy the mods is illegal" clause added to teh Community guidelines?

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

@Kloaked

you mean they will go away after 30 seconds, rite?

30 seconds from right now.

At this second.

This one.

Just now, Prysin said:

what about this second?

or this?

l0MYIH1uwQf49mSFq.gif

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can skip them by pressing F5....

Not easy to do or convenient, especially on mobile.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

Not easy to do or convenient, especially on mobile.

Pressing a single key is definitely easy...

How lazy are you?? xD

On mobile press back and click the video again?

It will reload a new add which isn't unskippable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Pressing a single key is definitely easy...

How lazy are you?? xD

On mobile press back and click the video again?

It will reload a new add which isn't unskippable.

Except when you're on mobile and it may take 10-20 seconds to even load the video, which if I reload I will have to sit through again.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

26 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I seriously don't understand what's the fuss is with YouTube ads. 

When you have a 1.5Mb/s connection and are barely able to load at 360p, when an advertisement insists on loading at 720p or 1080p, a 30 second video advertisement because 2-3 minutes of buffering.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I live in Madeira, Portugal and i get ads directed to people in Madeira Beach in Florida.

Love it. 10/10. Would kill the freaking St Pete clearwater ads again.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Except when you're on mobile and it may take 10-20 seconds to even load the video, which if I reload I will have to sit through again.

What kind of crappy mobile plan are you on?

Spoiler