"Unstitching" a 360 video?

Guarino

Hey guys, hi everyone...i've a doubt regarding 360 videos since i never worked with them. While i was on a trip i had the possibility to try the new Nikon KeyMission 360, a pretty cool action cam that shoots 360 video in 4k. The only thing i have to complain about is that the action cam itself stitches together the videos taken by the two sensors. Now i am actually editing a sort of vlog from the videos i took during that trip, and wanted to include some footage taken with the action cam, but obviously i know it is not possible to insert a 360 video on a normal timeline. So i was wondering: is it possible to do the inverse stitch process, to obtain two separate videos from a 360 one?

On 2/17/2017 at 6:14 AM, Guarino said:

Hey guys, hi everyone...i've a doubt regarding 360 videos since i never worked with them. While i was on a trip i had the possibility to try the new Nikon KeyMission 360, a pretty cool action cam that shoots 360 video in 4k. The only thing i have to complain about is that the action cam itself stitches together the videos taken by the two sensors. Now i am actually editing a sort of vlog from the videos i took during that trip, and wanted to include some footage taken with the action cam, but obviously i know it is not possible to insert a 360 video on a normal timeline. So i was wondering: is it possible to do the inverse stitch process, to obtain two separate videos from a 360 one?

Once the video is stitched by the software I'm pretty sure you're SOL. But, there might be some software that can undo it that I don't know about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2017 at 6:14 AM, Guarino said:

Hey, so I met the guys from Nikon for the release of this exact camera, this was one of the biggest questions about the camera and sadly what you get from the camera is what you get. As for putting a 360 video on a normal timeline I'm pretty sure the latest Premiere CC will take in 360 ecto rectangular footage. If you have a version I'd say give it a try. Edit: Sorry I misunderstood, you were saying putting 360 in with regular footage lol my bad, but you could insert footage from the ecto rectangular, or use the 360 footage to make "small world" footage. 

adobe-premiere-pro-cc-vr-video-editing.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 8:53 PM, TFields said:

Hey, so I met the guys from Nikon for the release of this exact camera, this was one of the biggest questions about the camera and sadly what you get from the camera is what you get. As for putting a 360 video on a normal timeline I'm pretty sure the latest Premiere CC will take in 360 ecto rectangular footage. If you have a version I'd say give it a try. Edit: Sorry I misunderstood, you were saying putting 360 in with regular footage lol my bad, but you could insert footage from the ecto rectangular, or use the 360 footage to make "small world" footage.

First of all, sorry for the really really late reply :D

Yeah i tried with premiere, and once dragged on the timeline it did all the magic. Not a really clean result, but still better than nothing.

Anyway it is a really big letdown for that camera. You can't use a 500$ action cam as a normal camera. It would have been great if they added the option to use only one lens, or stitch the video by yourself, or even using a single lens with a reduced FOV and distortion correction.