IPS glow vs backlight bleed

Dogsparky

Not an interesting story, but i saw a guy on youtube saying TN panels cant have backlight bleed and that is the only pro they have against ips monitors, but then i thought wait cant all lcd monitors have backlight bleed but just the ips monitors get the IPS glow?

@Dogsparky Not too sure, but AFAIK, my 3-year-old 18.5" Acer S191HQL TN panel has no backlight bleed, dead pixels or whatsoever. Very satisfied 768p user. ???

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

Technically there is always backlight bleed unless you use plasma or OLED.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

TN panels can have backlight bleed. My own laptop uses a TN panel and it bleeds a very small amount in the top-left corner. I don't think I've ever seen as rampant of bleed in desktop TN panels as I have in both desktop and laptop IPS panels, though. And I know the difference between IPS glow and backlight bleed.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

2 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

TN panels can have backlight bleed. My own laptop uses a TN panel and it bleeds a very small amount in the top-left corner. I don't think I've ever seen as rampant of bleed in desktop TN panels as I have in both desktop and laptop IPS panels, though. And I know the difference between IPS glow and backlight bleed.

So i am thinking right then, because when i told the guy that tn panels can have backlight bleed too, he said i should go back to whatever school i am attending and take his word as a IT professional, i have seen enough videos of Linus and other monitor problems to know the difference with that.

But was thinking that maybe i got it wrong

Both of my TN monitors (now decommissioned) suffer from backlight bleed.

My Dell U2515H doesn't (as far as I can tell) but does suffer from inherent IPS glow.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

48 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

Not an interesting story, but i saw a guy on youtube saying TN panels cant have backlight bleed and that is the only pro they have against ips monitors, but then i thought wait cant all lcd monitors have backlight bleed but just the ips monitors get the IPS glow?

All you have to do is set your monitor to a black background and turn off the lights... You will still be able to see a glowing rectangle in the room where your monitor is, unlike something like an OLED screen... If you do the same thing on an OLED phone it will be completely black and you will not be able to see the phone in a dark room.

That is backlight bleed right there. The reason you can see the glow of the monitor in a dark room on a black image is because the light from the backlight is bleeding through the panel. Of course what most people are concerned about is not actually backlight bleed itself, which is present on all LCD monitors without exception, but uneven or excessive backlight bleed, particularly around the edges. However this too can happen on any LCD monitor regardless of panel type, since it has to do with the sealing around the edges of the panel, not the light passing through the panel itself, so the structure of the panel doesn't have any effect on backlight bleeding around the edges.

24 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

So that answers my question then, TN panels can have backlight bleed

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

All you have to do is set your monitor to a black background and turn off the lights... You will still be able to see a glowing rectangle in the room where your monitor is, unlike something like an OLED screen... If you do the same thing on an OLED phone it will be completely black and you will not be able to see the phone in a dark room.

That is backlight bleed right there. The reason you can see the glow of the monitor in a dark room on a black image is because the light from the backlight is bleeding through the panel. Of course what most people are concerned about is not actually backlight bleed itself, which is present on all LCD monitors without exception, but uneven or excessive backlight bleed, particularly around the edges. This can happen on any LCD monitor regardless of panel type, since it has to do with the sealing around the edges of the panel, not the light passing through the panel itself, so the structure of the panel doesn't have any effect on backlight bleeding around the edges.

Thanks for the detailed description u will use that as a reference actually