Our CHEAPEST & FASTEST Network Speed Yet!

Nevermind, this isn't Floatplane Club. :(

Edited by KuJoe
Nevermind.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Is this a repost? I thought I already watched this.

Floatplane? :) haha

I'm not sure I "got" this. If the speeds didn't top 10 GBit/sec, did it perform better than a 10GB Ethernet? 

I guess it will be somewhat better because nobody ever gets more than 10 GB on a 10 GB Ethernet, and the storage is on its own dedicated network, but how much better is it?

2 hours ago, chatterbeak said:

I'm not sure I "got" this. If the speeds didn't top 10 GBit/sec, did it perform better than a 10GB Ethernet? 

I guess it will be somewhat better because nobody ever gets more than 10 GB on a 10 GB Ethernet, and the storage is on its own dedicated network, but how much better is it?

While they didn't see performance above their 10Gbps network video, they did achieve the same performance for less money.

Plus, they didn't see the performance because consumer copies of Windows don't support file transers above 10Gbps, apparently. If one uses Linux or Windows Enterprise, they could potentially see the faster speeds, provided they're transferring large or a multitude of files.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You said you might be able to user Windows Server or Linux to make this EVEN FASTER.

Yes, please.

Additionally, I would argue that you should do this on Linux since most consumers and enthusiasts could get their hands on a Linux distro pretty easily for free, whereas Windows Server costs some extra cash (or a lot of extra cash), and part of the point was to save money.

3 minutes ago, Tallix said:

You said you might be able to user Windows Server or Linux to make this EVEN FASTER.

Yes, please.

Additionally, I would argue that you should do this on Linux since most consumers and enthusiasts could get their hands on a Linux distro pretty easily for free, whereas Windows Server costs some extra cash (or a lot of extra cash), and part of the point was to save money.

Well you dont need a lot of money to get windows server , if you know what I mean. ( just for trial because ethics)

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

LTT went through all this trouble with ram disks where if they used linux or BSD could have used /dev/zero or /dev/random as a data source

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

While they didn't see performance above their 10Gbps network video, they did achieve the same performance for less money.

Plus, they didn't see the performance because consumer copies of Windows don't support file transers above 10Gbps, apparently. If one uses Linux or Windows Enterprise, they could potentially see the faster speeds, provided they're transferring large or a multitude of files.

Well it's mainly to help with multiple people accessing the same server more than one person needing 10Gbps speeds.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

If you want a really cheap ethernet solution, don't forget you can turn these cards into Ethernet devices so you don't need the Infiniband fabric manager.

For Windows, download and install the latest Mellanox WinOF VPI for Windows software package available via the Mellanox Web site at: http://www.mellanox.com => Follow the installation instructions included in the download package. After installing Mellanox WinOF VPI for Windows on your machine, you can change a port's protocol configuration.

That means you just bought a 10Gb Ethernet card for $25, which is a much more useful thing!

Plus, because it's a Mellanox card with a Mellanox driver stack, they're typically significantly better at being low latency and doing a lot of hardware offloading. Great ethernet solution, we use them all the time.

And you don't need to specify a gateway.

Also, I'd add that we don't actually use these most often for storage networks. They're much more common as a messaging bus.

So how did the guy in the original post manage to run them in Windows (as far as I can see from the screenshot) but you could not find the drivers and opted for Mellanox MHQH19b-xtr?

Also the Mellanox MHQH19b-xtr seems a lot more expensive. Can someone provide the link where I can get them for $25?

8 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Well it's mainly to help with multiple people accessing the same server more than one person needing 10Gbps speeds.

They used it purely as point to point, which is likely how many home users would use a 40Gbps connection.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Nice video, but they should turn down the tempo of the video and go in more detail.

It feels very rushed and it's more of a rant/ramble than a proper video imo...

They should at least make the adventure complete with some shots of jake or linus or whatever messing with the other adapters and failing. You guys know we like to come along for a ride! Even if it is just 1 video and not a series like whole room water cooling or moving vlog :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Cool beans.

Though I don't get why you couldn't have the fileserver act as a switch or a router and ditch the Ethernet connection to the workstation. Can you not do that on Windows? Why did you make the server run Windows anyway?

16 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

LTT went through all this trouble with ram disks where if they used linux or BSD could have used /dev/zero or /dev/random as a data source

Linus states why they tried Windows at the beginning of the video: most of the LTT audience primarily uses Windows. Its cool that Linux can do this, and I like linux, but that was not the point of the video.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

How long before LMG buys a 40 Gb/s Switch to add to this fun configuration from E-bay for another couple of hundred?  Someone has to have a complete overkill setup for their office, right?

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

They used it purely as point to point, which is likely how many home users would use a 40Gbps connection.

Ehh, I didn't watch the video and don't intend to but that is usually the use-case for high bandwidth connections, especially with media companies.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

17 hours ago, nfwolfpryde said:

Also, I'd add that we don't actually use these most often for storage networks. They're much more common as a messaging bus.

Namely a messaging bus between nodes in a high-performance computing cluster -- i.e. supercomputer. Fiber channel or Ethernet optical fiber is what's typically used for storage networks. Previously SANs used to feature FDDI rings...

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

4 hours ago, Granular said:

Cool beans.

Though I don't get why you couldn't have the fileserver act as a switch or a router and ditch the Ethernet connection to the workstation. Can you not do that on Windows? Why did you make the server run Windows anyway?

i dont get it either. I dont use a switch on my fileserver, just a straight connection to every device because extra NICs were about the same price as a switch without the extra cables

2 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Linus states why they tried Windows at the beginning of the video: most of the LTT audience primarily uses Windows. Its cool that Linux can do this, and I like linux, but that was not the point of the video.

sure for desktops. i think most of his audience are running linux or BSD on their servers

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

WOW my post actually became a video: what an honor!

My Post

I didnt buy the adapter I quoted in the original post (I just quick searched another one so that global users can find one quickly) I actually bought two of those:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Mellanox-ConnectX-2-VPI-Network-Adaptor-PCIe-Server-Card-/331765696568

(ConnectX2 MHQH19B-XTR)

I used use WINOF drivers to get and start opensm.exe (In the installer dir) on one machine then no IP configuration is needed because windows 10 will recognize fastest link after 2 min

I got exactly 10 Gbit at first. It was a cabling problem. Passive copper QSFP+ only gives about 10Gbit. So I searched for QSFP+ fibre and found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finisar-FCBN414QB1C10-QSFP-TO-QSFP-InfiniBand-Optic-Network-Cable-WUJ02R4-10m-/112231143635?hash=item1a217f58d3:g:Z5oAAOSwZJBX-iGF

Installing WINOF (driver of mellanox)

http://www.mellanox.com/downloads/WinOF/MLNX_VPI_WinOF-5_35_All_win2016_x64.exe

Gives a special tab in device manager properties which says: Speed up for single port.

Thats was it.

Single File Transfers will never go faster than 10Gbit :( But many copies at once will saturate the link and you get 3.2 Gbyte/s write/read. To fully test the link i used lanbench or multiple file copies at once.

http://www.zachsaw.com/?pg=lanbench_tcp_network_benchmark

with this i could achieve the maximum data rate PCIe 2.0 x8 can handle which is 24 real Gbits.

Conclusion: Still below 100 Dollars. 3.2 Gbyte/s read/write. Cables did cost more than the adapters but 10m is something to work with.

You dont need Windows Server at all. Mellanox works on fresh installed windows 10 without drivers.

For all who think who needs this: Copying from and to 960pro ssds over network will be slowed down by 10Gbit!