Help Choosing Camera and lens

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Agree with this, one more used option could be a 7D mark ii and a fast prime to go with it. 

And the 24-105 could be changed for a 24-70 if you want a slightly sharper lens. 

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

Not on APS-C, 24 is too long on crop. Also, the 24-70 is quite a bit more expensive, even used. 

On APS-C, I'd go with the 17-55 f2.8, its amazingly sharp and has constant aperture. Also, the 3.5(x1.6) is quite narrow. The 2.8 certainly is an improvement.  

ok so literally im such an amateur at photography that i don't even know much of the differences between those lenses, but i will take a look at the 6d and the 7d - i feel tempted to just go for the eos 5d mark 3 and the most expensive lens kit i can buy, is that a smart move or should i get a mid ranger and then move up to canon's next flagship camera when it comes out?

25 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

ok so literally im such an amateur at photography that i don't even know much of the differences between those lenses, but i will take a look at the 6d and the 7d - i feel tempted to just go for the eos 5d mark 3 and the most expensive lens kit i can buy, is that a smart move or should i get a mid ranger and then move up to canon's next flagship camera when it comes out?

How large is your budget? If you can afford I would go with a FullFrame and a set of nice glass. 

The 5D mark iii will of course be an amazing camera, but if you can't pair it with good glass the 6D + good glass is a lot better option. 

You should however read in on what lenses you would finde useful for you. Do you know the basics? Like how the mm number works? Like a low number is wide and a larger mm is a longer lens? 

Do you know how aparture works? Lower f-stop = more shallow dof? 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

2 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

How large is your budget? If you can afford I would go with a FullFrame and a set of nice glass. 

The 5D mark iii will of course be an amazing camera, but if you can't pair it with good glass the 6D + good glass is a lot better option. 

You should however read in on what lenses you would finde useful for you. Do you know the basics? Like how the mm number works? Like a low number is wide and a larger mm is a longer lens? 

Do you know how aparture works? Lower f-stop = more shallow dof? 

i know the basics like that, but i really just want a good body for around 600  bucks used and i can spend as much as i need on lens

1 hour ago, gtx1060=value said:

i know the basics like that, but i really just want a good body for around 600  bucks used and i can spend as much as i need on lens

Hmm, if you are really lucky you can find a used 6D, but I doubt it. Really its a 70D or 80D you will get in the $600 range. Look for a 80D firstly in that price range. 

The way you are describing it, we`ve been going at this all wrong. The 5d3 is a great camera, so are the 6d and 7d, but they are quite professionally minded, hence the high price tags. Since you yourself admit you are not that good a photographer, why do you feel the need to get a 5d3 with a good kit lens, a pack which will certainly cost north of $2,500? The 5d3 is a great piece of kit, but its quite bulky and you won`t be carrying it around with you everyday, you may even find yourself leaving it behind when going on a trip, which is when we mostly use our cameras. 

For example I travelled to a friend in Cardiff last month, I carried a 5d3, 24-105L, 50mm 1.4, gorillapod, 2 spare batteries, charger and an intervalometer. The total weight was around 3.5kg. That was way more than my clothing and I didn't even have everything I'd like to carry with me. It also took a lot of space in my bag. That is seriously not ideal.  

I feel like you are about to make the mistake of spending too much on this, so I think that it would be to your benefit to think of what specifically you want out of it. How old are you? Are you already employed in another field, in which case photography is a hobby you are moderately serious about? Are you likely to study/ work as a photographer in the future? How much do you use your camera? What utility can you get out of it? Has it become a bottleneck? How so? What equipment do you already have? (like a list of everything).  

Going from there, we may be able to recommend the optimal scenario for you. However, spending the money on a 6d, without knowing if its going to be overkill/ not appropriate is problematic. 

If my understanding of the situation is correct, the best option for you would be a sony a7ii, with a couple of extra batteries, the 28-70mm lens and perhaps a fast 50, if not something like a 750d. To me the a7ii is the definitive camera for someone who needs something intermediary, has no professional responsibility, owns a small amount of equipment (i.e. is not locked in to the Canon System), but the FF sensor may still be overkill. "Entry level" dslrs are amazingly good these days too and much more convenient. 

Instead of a used 7d2, if the FF sensor is not that much worth it, Get the 750d, preferably new:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116100-REG/canon_0591c001_eos_rebel_t6i_dslr.html 

This allows you to use whatever accessories you already have. When you feel its necessary, grab a 10-18mm EF-S lens, not the sharpest around, but not too expensive https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1051476-USA/canon_9519b002_ef_s_10_18mm_f_4_5_5_6_is.html 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

OK, so, im an enthusiast, already employed elsewhere, im just looking for a camera that isn't too bulky like the 5d (ill get that later on for when i go out just for shooting) so the 80d or 6d seems like a good option right?

I have a 100mm lens and the standard one that came with the t2i and that's about it in terms of photography equipment, 

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Hmm, if you are really lucky you can find a used 6D, but I doubt it. Really its a 70D or 80D you will get in the $600 range. Look for a 80D firstly in that price range. 

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

The way you are describing it, we`ve been going at this all wrong. The 5d3 is a great camera, so are the 6d and 7d, but they are quite professionally minded, hence the high price tags. Since you yourself admit you are not that good a photographer, why do you feel the need to get a 5d3 with a good kit lens, a pack which will certainly cost north of $2,500? The 5d3 is a great piece of kit, but its quite bulky and you won`t be carrying it around with you everyday, you may even find yourself leaving it behind when going on a trip, which is when we mostly use our cameras. 

For example I travelled to a friend in Cardiff last month, I carried a 5d3, 24-105L, 50mm 1.4, gorillapod, 2 spare batteries, charger and an intervalometer. The total weight was around 3.5kg. That was way more than my clothing and I didn't even have everything I'd like to carry with me. It also took a lot of space in my bag. That is seriously not ideal.  

I feel like you are about to make the mistake of spending too much on this, so I think that it would be to your benefit to think of what specifically you want out of it. How old are you? Are you already employed in another field, in which case photography is a hobby you are moderately serious about? Are you likely to study/ work as a photographer in the future? How much do you use your camera? What utility can you get out of it? Has it become a bottleneck? How so? What equipment do you already have? (like a list of everything).  

Going from there, we may be able to recommend the optimal scenario for you. However, spending the money on a 6d, without knowing if its going to be overkill/ not appropriate is problematic. 

If my understanding of the situation is correct, the best option for you would be a sony a7ii, with a couple of extra batteries, the 28-70mm lens and perhaps a fast 50, if not something like a 750d. To me the a7ii is the definitive camera for someone who needs something intermediary, has no professional responsibility, owns a small amount of equipment (i.e. is not locked in to the Canon System), but the FF sensor may still be overkill. "Entry level" dslrs are amazingly good these days too and much more convenient. 

Instead of a used 7d2, if the FF sensor is not that much worth it, Get the 750d, preferably new:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116100-REG/canon_0591c001_eos_rebel_t6i_dslr.html 

This allows you to use whatever accessories you already have. When you feel its necessary, grab a 10-18mm EF-S lens, not the sharpest around, but not too expensive https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1051476-USA/canon_9519b002_ef_s_10_18mm_f_4_5_5_6_is.html 

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

OK, so, im an enthusiast, already employed elsewhere, im just looking for a camera that isn't too bulky like the 5d (ill get that later on for when i go out just for shooting) so the 80d or 6d seems like a good option right?

I have a 100mm lens and the standard one that came with the t2i and that's about it in terms of photography equipment, 

You'd think so, but the 6d and 80d are not that small either, certainly less bulky and lighter though. 

Both are amazing cameras, the 6d is getting a bit old in the tooth by now, but I doubt you will be dissapointed. The FF sensor will keep you excited for a while;P 

The downside of the 6d is its not compatible with EF-S lenses, so you can't use the kit 18-55. Some good all purpose lenses are the 28-135 IS, 24-105 f3.5-5.6, 24-105 f4L, 24-70mm f4L IS and of course, the amazing 24-70mm f2.8. I have listed them in order of price as well as sharpness, i.e. cheapest performs worse of the bunch. They are all sharp enough don't get me wrong, the L glass is obviously better though and benefits from a constant aperture.

For an ultrawide, the most affordable option, although quite old is the 17-40mm f4L I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Some other considerations are the 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.   

The 80d benefits from a more updated techonlogy, better focus system, touchscreen etc. but is an APS-C sensor, so crop factor, less low light performance, deeper dof etc. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Just keep in mind, the 80D and 6D are not super small bodies. But they are built to last with weather sealing and so on. 

Lenses are very hard to reccomend without a special usecase in mind but as @cc143 said those normal zooms he listed are good all purpose lenses. You may want a fast prime to go with them too, you will have to decide on that.