3200mhz and 3600mhz, what is the difference?

Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,

3000/3200 is the sweetspot for Sky/Kaby, that's why. You may not be able to push 3600 with the memory controller.

I am buying  2x8 Trident Z series and I want to know what is the difference between 3200mhz vs 3600mhz.

When I look at high end builds I am always seeing people with ram speed of 3200, what is so special about it?

No noticeable difference, get whats cheaper.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

3000/3200 is the sweetspot for Sky/Kaby, that's why. You may not be able to push 3600 with the memory controller.

idk

400MHz

The difference is actual use is usually very little, because higher clocked memory often also has some higher CL number. Plus most applications don't take full use of the faster memory.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Always buy the cheapest brand name RAM you can for the amount of RAM you want. The speed is irrelevant, you'll never notice the difference.

4 minutes ago, Priortox said:

I am buying  2x8 Trident Z series and I want to know what is the difference between 3200mhz vs 3600mhz.

When I look at high end builds I am always seeing people with ram speed of 3200, what is so special about it?

The difference is clearly 400mhz 

There's a 400mhz difference.

On a serious note, fast memory tends to help relieve CPU bottlenecks in games, contrary to what many people say. There comes a point where you'll get diminishing returns, but I don't know of the exact number. For DDR3 memory, you'd want 2133Mhz memory, for DDR4 I think you'd at least want 2800 or up.

1 minute ago, Raen said:

Always buy the cheapest brand name RAM you can for the amount of RAM you want. The speed is irrelevant, you'll never notice the difference.

Memory speed is very relevant.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Memory speed is very relevant

To who? lol. Maybe in a production environment. Certaintly not for home use.

2 minutes ago, Raen said:

So did you bother to ask OP what they're using their PC for, then? :)

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

So did you bother to ask OP what they're using their PC for, then? :)

Did you? Must have to assume it was "very relevant".

2 minutes ago, Raen said:

Well.. I would argue that you will definitely notice huge improvement between 1MHz and 3200MHz RAM so the speed definitely matters.

In case of OP...meh... I would get the cheaper one.

5 minutes ago, Raen said:

Not always true.

Crysis 3 2133 vs 3200 is around 7FPS with the 6700K

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

To put it simple: Nothing above 2666 mhz makes a noticable difference at this point in time. It will in the future. I have a 3000mhz kit. There wouldn't be any noticable difference if I had a faster memory.. Take whats cheaper.

26 minutes ago, Priortox said:

there was a good episode from GN about answering this. It depends what chipset your using and if you plan to overclock. Some mobo/cpu don't even support higher than 2133mhz so getting the faster ram won't do you any good because they will actually run at lower speeds if you don't use xmp etc. 

On 2/16/2017 at 4:07 PM, Priortox said:

Look at the timings and CAS Time   Example :  32000 Mhz with Cas : 15 15-18-18-18 36 will be slower than 24000 Mhz 10-14-14-14-28 cas : 10

Corsair dominator has 2400 Mhz with excellent timings at 200 Bucks a bit more expensive but those timings tho.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233999&cm_re=Corsair_dominator-_-20-233-999-_-Product

DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

Timing 10-12-12-28

Much better than 3200 Mhz if you want to spend your money on speed which where youll have the best , go for timing not Mhz speed.