Wondering about my Pc's Performance

rpalmz46

Hi, 

I wanted to post here to get some other people's opinions whether or not there is potentially something wrong with my computer. I notice often when playing it it will cease up and freeze once in a while and I also feel like I should be getting more performance than I currently am out of it. For example the witcher 3 a few months ago I could run everything at ultra on it hairworks at 8x AA(I realize turning it off increases my performance a lot I just like it for some reason) and I was able to maintain 60fps constantly pretty much with no difficulties. But playing it right now and lately I seem to be dipping into the mid 40's at times and often drop 5 fps and you might think this is negligible but to me it is very annoying since with vsync on I immediately notice the frame dips. I was just wondering if there might be something holding my pc back so to speak. I personally think my problem might lie with a slower hard drive and ram in my system but of course I'm not sure just a guess since they are the weaker part of my system. Or potentially my PSU is hindering performance? Any replies are appreciated. Thanks

Before you say my temps are fine on both gpu and cpu both under 60 or gpu hits 64 at max usually.

Pc Specs:

GPU: Asus Geforce Gtx 1070 8GB

CPU: I5-4690k OC @ 4.1GHz from 3.5GHZ

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

Ram: 12GB 1600MHz

HDD: Toshiba dt01aca300 1tb or something along those lines

PSU: Corsair Cs650M

well if everything is running fine and no weird noises or clicking there are just 2 possible thing that i can thing of that can cause this - software(virus or not) that runs in the background and hogs a lot of resources for itself or  stupid drivers. The one is likely if you installed any programs that are on all of the time - even tho with 12 gb memory and that cpu i doubt it will affect much.... . About the drivers I've seen nvidia on purpose to make drivers that cause their gpus to run worse (we tested it on gtx 260 a year ago and with the stock old disk drivers it gave more fps....) but that's brand new card so again not very possible....

It shouldn't be  thermal throttling with those temps also. Hows ur available hard disk space?If you are running very low it may cause ur system to run a lot slower.

If you are good on space i would try a bit older gpu drivers dude!

1 minute ago, komar said:

well if everything is running fine and no weird noises or clicking there are just 2 possible thing that i can thing of that can cause this - software(virus or not) that runs in the background and hogs a lot of resources for itself or  stupid drivers. The one is likely if you installed any programs that are on all of the time - even tho with 12 gb memory and that cpu i doubt it will affect much.... . About the drivers I've seen nvidia on purpose to make drivers that cause their gpus to run worse (we tested it on gtx 260 a year ago and with the stock old disk drivers it gave more fps....) but that's brand new card so again not very possible....

It shouldn't be  thermal throttling with those temps also. Hows ur available hard disk space?If you are running very low it may cause ur system to run a lot slower.

I have very fast internet so I have done this a few times but whenever I have fresh installed windows in the past to fix one of these problems it almost always makes my computer run better. Currently I have about 400GB of space available to be used. My current drivers are the most up to date ones. Since my temps are fine I was assuming I didnt need to open my pc and dust anything off. Side note could this be of issue? My PC was knocked over months ago at a friends house when his little brother was playing on it and he had a seizure and ever since then I'm almost positive that my PSU has been making VERY loud fan noises. It's not a constant noise but when it happens I usually need to restart my pc to get it to stop. 

5 minutes ago, komar said:

Could it also maybe be possible my overclock is actually negatively affecting it. I mean I dont get bluescreens or anything so I personally don't think so but then again I don't know everything xD

36 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Could it also maybe be possible my overclock is actually negatively affecting it. I mean I dont get bluescreens or anything so I personally don't think so but then again I don't know everything xD

PSU loud noise could be just crap fan  - if its still spinning and its not annoying you (it would piss me off for about 20 mins if its that bad XD) its fine. Dust... if the temps are fine and they is no problem.  For the OC i've seen that happen - my athlon 760k was getting lower scores in cinebench at higher clock but that was due to the crappy mb (witch made me decommission them both and now use my q6600 till ryzen(sucks)). The only real way to find is download cinebench and try with stock and OC (or just get stock results for that chip from the web)

PS new windows always makes it run better at first :P