Server Idea

Hi everyone, new here to the forum, just wanted to see what possible ideas I could do with a server I was able to take home from work. Currently I have it set up with Ubuntu with a GUI because I wanted to use android studio on it with a friend. I don't know anything about software, just a hardware guy at my company for the data center. 

Currently I have a Synology NAS handling my plex and personal files but with the power I have on my PowerEdge R610, 2x 6 core processors and 64gb of memory I was hoping to do something with this server. 

Could anyone suggest any ideas that I could easily learn for and accomplish? 

I would like to use it as another NAS but I don't have big enough hard drives for it right now, only 4 146GB drives, for plex and files, but besides that, like I said above I have it set up for Ubuntu and Android Studio to learn some coding but my issue with that is when using RealVNC the resolution is stuck and 640x480.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, I am up for learning whatever I need to in order to get it up and running as well.

Thank you! 

Id put linux with kvm or esxi on it and then do everything in a vm. Do't do anything on the bare metal os.

Then setup all the basics like AD, DHCP, pxe boot, in there own vms

Install ESXi or Hyper V Server -> Run Many VM's to suit different needs.

5 hours ago, Raen said:

Install ESXi or Hyper V Server -> Run Many VM's to suit different needs.

Or use proxmox which is free, more optimized than hyperv, and is very much comparable. 

My native language is C++

I have a similar spec'd R610. I have ESXi 6.5 installed on mine. (Mines 2 x X5650 Xeons, 64GB Ram, 4 x 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD's for the VM Datastores).

As guests on the ESXi host im running:

2 Domain Controllers in a forest, with DNS & DHCP services.

1 SCCM Server

1 WSUS Server

2 VDI's for general use

2 Ubuntu development desktops

1 Ubuntu Seedbox

1 CentOS Development webserver

1 Plex server

My testing install of FreeNAS 10

Then on my router i've pointed the DNS servers to my Primary/Secondary DC's which allows me to do internal DNS for everything - regardless if its domain joined.

My Seedbox and Plex Server are both talking to my storage NAS. I think its a good way to have it, so that your services are completely seperate from your raw storage.

BTW: There is free licensing for both a basic 2 CPU host for ESXi, and HyperV.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA