Am I pushing my PSU too much?

Gerr

Seasonic 360W Gold PSU

CPU = Xeon E3-1231v3 (no internal gpu)

Cooler = Cryorig C7 (92mm fan)

Motherboard = ASRock Rack H97m WS (micro-ATX workstation mobo)

RAM = 2x8GB DDR3-1600

Video card = MSI GTX 950 2G Gaming (+100 OC to both core & mem)

Optical = Blu-Ray recorder.

Boot Drive = Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 SSD

Game Drive = WD Blue 2.5" 1TB SSHD

Transcode Drive = Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

Backup Drive = WD Blue 2.5" 500GB HDD

NVR Drive = WD Purple 3.5" 3TB HDD.

Case fans = 2x Noctua 120mm intake, 1x Cougar 120mm exhaust.

Uses:

24/7 Blue Iris NVR recorder to the WD Purple drive.

Transcode system(infrequent) - rip Blu-Rays and transcode them using Handbrake, all on the Samsung SSD.

SteamLink Gaming system(infrequent) = play 1080p games in Steam's Console Mode, which will be ported over to the SteamLink on my big TV.

Notes:

The NVR will be running 24/7, but the system won't play games & transcode at the same time.

While I do have the video card OC'ed, I can return it to normal specs if needed.

All PSU calcs seem to place load around the 300W-365W mark, but that's with 3x3.5" 5400RPM drives where 2 of those are 2.5" drives. 

So far, it's running just fine, but want to make sure I am not risking blowing out other parts by pushing the PSU too far.  I don't have the money for a better PSU at this time.  Am I safe?

3 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Seasonic 360W Gold PSU

RAM = 2x8GB DDR3-1600

Uses:

Transcode system(infrequent) - rip Blu-Rays and transcode them using Handbrake, all on the Samsung SSD.

SteamLink Gaming system(infrequent) = play 1080p games in Steam's Console Mode, which will be ported over to the SteamLink on my big TV.

Notes:

The NVR will be running 24/7, but the system won't play games & transcode at the same time.

While I do have the video card OC'ed, I can return it to normal specs if needed.

All PSU calcs seem to place load around the 300W-365W mark, but that's with 3x3.5" 5400RPM drives where 2 of those are 2.5" drives. 

So far, it's running just fine, but want to make sure I am not risking blowing out other parts by pushing the PSU too far.  I don't have the money for a better PSU at this time.  Am I safe?

Maybe I missed it but what PSU are you running on?

Toss your parts into PCPartPicker, it should show system power output.

As long as this number isn't like, actually 360, you should be good.

It's a SeaSonic unit, so it probably won't blow up soon

Looks like you don't push your system too often so you should be fine

No.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Under synthetic load probably pushing the limit, under regular gaming load, high but it's a seasonic PSU it's fine.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

1 minute ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Maybe I missed it but what PSU are you running on?

It's at the top of the post... Seasonic 360W Gold.

OP: I'd turn down the OC since you're not actively using it to game and it's just sipping power, but other than that, eh, you should be fine.

That's really stretching it. Most PSU's are rated to be most efficient at between 60-75% load. I typically round the math up to 80% when I do my calculation becuase you are never really going to max out your power unless you use a program that is designed to do it. I would go with one that is between 450W and 500w.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Holy hell I'm retarded, was that always at the top? Lol, anyway I'd say you'll be okay. Seasonics are pretty dependable and as long as your uses don't increase you should be...golden. ;)

Its fine. Xeons draw 100W max and that gtx 950 draws very little as well. The seasonic 360W is a great PSU, even if you push it too hard, it will just shut down without doing any damage to your components.

4 minutes ago, MrImnotMLG said:

That's really stretching it. Most PSU's are rated to be most efficient at between 60-75% load. I typically round the math up to 80% when I do my calculation becuase you are never really going to max out your power unless you use a program that is designed to do it. I would go with one that is between 450W and 500w.

Efficiency wouldn't matter, unless he cares about his electricity bills.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Efficiency wouldn't matter, unless he cares about his electricity bills.

Which at 360W doesn't really matter anyways.

You're fine.

14 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Seasonic 360W Gold PSU

RAM = 2x8GB DDR3-1600

Uses:

Notes:

You're fine. Don't worry about it unless you get a better GPU. If you upgraded to a GTX 970 or RX 480 or some other thing then yeah, it'd be a good idea to get another PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Should be fine, under normal circumstances youll only load the psu

to 2/3s capacity or so. While its rated for 360w it can probably

pump out a good amount more than that.

31 minutes ago, OnfireYH said:

Its fine. Xeons draw 100W max and that gtx 950 draws very little as well. The seasonic 360W is a great PSU, even if you push it too hard, it will just shut down without doing any damage to your components.

Yeah, no. I have an X5650 @ 4.26 GHz and it draws around 300w under Aida64 on a gold powersupply

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

53 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Yeah, no. I have an X5650 @ 4.26 GHz and it draws around 300w under Aida64 on a gold powersupply

hold on, hold on.... your Xeon draws 300W?

You probably mean total system consumption, then I would imagine your Xeon draws around 100-150W. Of course, it depends on the specific product and I was referring to those modern "consumer-xeons", I should have clarified it better.

3 minutes ago, OnfireYH said:

You probably mean total system consumption, then I would imagine your Xeon draws around 100-150W. Of course, it depends on the specific product and I was referring to those modern "consumer-xeons", I should have clarified it better.

It's overvolted to 1.4125 at 4.26ghz from its original 2.66ghz and 1.125v, under valley and Aida the whole system pulls 650w with an EVGA GTX 970, an SSD, keyboard, and mouse, and an h100i along with 6 4gb dimms 

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Ashiella said:

It's overvolted to 1.4125 at 4.26ghz from its original 2.66ghz and 1.125v, under valley and Aida the whole system pulls 650w with an EVGA GTX 970, an SSD, keyboard, and mouse, and an h100i along with 6 4gb dimms 

Obviously he wasn't referring to ancient Xeons from 2010 that have been overclocked...

34 minutes ago, Kommanche said:

Obviously he wasn't referring to ancient Xeons from 2010 that have been overclocked...

He did ask if the xeon takes 300 w..

15 hours ago, OnfireYH said:

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

He did ask if the xeon takes 300 w..

I was referring to his comment - "  Xeons draw 100W max  "

That's when you chimed in, like you needed to brag or something.

2 hours ago, Kommanche said:

I was referring to his comment - "  Xeons draw 100W max  "

That's when you chimed in, like you needed to brag or something.

I wasn't bragging; I was stating the fact that some xeons do draw more than 100W..

This has a TDP of 145W for example: https://ark.intel.com/products/91317/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v4-55M-Cache-2_20-GHz

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I wasn't bragging; I was stating the fact that some xeons do draw more than 100W..

This has a TDP of 145W for example: https://ark.intel.com/products/91317/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v4-55M-Cache-2_20-GHz

TDP isn't the maximum power draw.  It's the estimated maximum heat output.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

TDP isn't the maximum power draw.  It's the estimated maximum heat output.

I still think that it'd draw allot of power.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

I still think that it'd draw allot of power.

It's got 22 cores with hyper-threading, so yeah lol.  I ran it on a couple PSU calculators and it showed a max estimated usage of 196W.  Even an i3-6100 is going to have max loads of over 100W.   It's just the low power models (mobile CPU's and I believe the ones that have a T in the model) that will go below that.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's got 22 cores with hyper-threading, so yeah lol.  I ran it on a couple PSU calculators and it showed a max estimated usage of 196W.  Even an i3-6100 is going to have max loads of over 100W.   It's just the low power models (mobile CPU's and I believe the ones that have a T in the model) that will go below that.

i3-6100 doesn't pull anywhere near 100W, not even on peaks.

Even on Prime95 you're looking at 50W.

https://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/intel-core-i3-6100-skylake-processor-review/

The i7-6700K at stock under gaming loads pulls less than 80W and peaks at 104W under a  synthetic "torture test"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-11.html

3 minutes ago, Kommanche said:

i3-6100 doesn't pull anywhere near 100W, not even on peaks.

Even on Prime95 you're looking at 50W.

https://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/intel-core-i3-6100-skylake-processor-review/

Interesting. I was going by power calculators. I used two different ones. They admittedly tend to estimate on the high side, but I wonder why there is such a big difference.