what will be removed in "keep my file"?

jxing2

I'm trying to reset my system for little bit more effective. I saw an option called "keep my files" saying "removes apps and settings, but keeps your personal files". So anyone know what exactly will be removed and what will be kept? Like I have C for system, D for apps, E for games, and F for musics, movies and some drm free games, what will be removed?

6 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

I'm trying to reset my system for little bit more effective. I saw an option called "keep my files" saying "removes apps and settings, but keeps your personal files". So anyone know what exactly will be removed and what will be kept? Like I have C for system, D for apps, E for games, and F for musics, movies and some drm free games, what will be removed?

if i remeber right it just put all the files from the my documents, my pictures etc. into a folder and deletes everything else as if it was a new pc 

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, peej said:

if i remeber right it just put all the files from the my documents, my pictures etc. into a folder and deletes everything else as if it was a new pc 

well that's not really helping with keeping my "files"... Do you have any idea how to reset the system but keep those apps and games?

15 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

well that's not really helping with keeping my "files"... Do you have any idea how to reset the system but keep those apps and games?

If you're using steam, move your games to a new steam library folder on a different drive. Then, after you've reinstalled, you can pick that same steam library folder and all your games will be there.

Most other applications, though, you're screwed. There are usually registry entries that would be too time-consuming to fix, not to mention programs laced with DRM and such that will no longer function (it's a "new computer" you've installed it on). It's best to just use Ninite and grab most of the programs you need, followed by reinstalling others as you discover you need them.

EDIT: yes, this means other games outside of steam too. If you have a bandwidth cap then you'll just have to download only the ones you REALLY want to play.

Edited by HarryNyquist
additional stuff

7 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

If you're using steam, move your games to a new steam library folder on a different drive. Then, after you've reinstalled, you can pick that same steam library folder and all your games will be there.

Most other applications, though, you're screwed. There are usually registry entries that would be too time-consuming to fix, not to mention programs laced with DRM and such that will no longer function (it's a "new computer" you've installed it on). It's best to just use Ninite and grab most of the programs you need, followed by reinstalling others as you discover you need them.

EDIT: yes, this means other games outside of steam too. If you have a bandwidth cap then you'll just have to download only the ones you REALLY want to play.

how about the video and music files? files like those will not be removed?

1 minute ago, jxing2 said:

how about the video and music files? files like those will not be removed?

I'm pretty certain it moves those to C:\Windows.Old, but I always keep all that on a different hard drive than the OS. I can't say for sure.

2 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I'm pretty certain it moves those to C:\Windows.Old, but I always keep all that on a different hard drive than the OS. I can't say for sure.

i mean i  have a individual hdd to store my videos and musics, if i choose "keep my files" will files like those be removed?

39 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

and how to move the game to a new steamlibrary? like just copy and paste?

im trying to reset my system(basically clean up my C disk) to boost my system. i have my games in E in a individual hdd and apps in D, video and music files in F, D&F are in an individual hdd, system disk C in ssd, is there any method to reset or reinstall my system but not losing my apps,games& files?

If all your files and applications are on different drives than C:\, you should be fine to format your C:\ drive and re-install Windows on it. You'll need to reinstall your applications again probably.

No.

Unplug your data drives, clean install windows, reinstall your programs, then plug your data drives back in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Raen said:

If all your files and applications are on different drives than C:\, you should be fine to format your C:\ drive and re-install Windows on it. You'll need to reinstall your applications again probably.

games are fine, steam can check the files, i wander those apps who use register keys or activate code, are those codes still available?

If it's Windows 8 or Windows 10, the closest option you have is the Refresh command, but this gets rid of your applications.

2 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

games are fine, steam can check the files, i wander those apps who use register keys or activate code, are those codes still available?

You'd have to reactivate them.

2 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

No as the Windows registry will get wiped when you fresh install. That's why you'll likely need to re-install most applications. 

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No.

Unplug your data drives, clean install windows, reinstall your programs, then plug your data drives back in.

What? You dont have to unplug anything at all. At the windows installation process, select your partition with your OS and thats all (using a bootable Windows installing device [usb or dvd])

BUT, IMPORTANT, windows has its own built-in feature which restores your Windows installation to a "factory state". It lets you choose whether you want to KEEP your files, your apps or both, but keeping your apps can lead you to tons of compatibility troubles with versions and installing folders. I would recommend you to just keep your files and reinstall the apps.

1 minute ago, Maxinfamily said:

What? You dont have to unplug anything at all. At the windows installation process, select your partition with your OS and thats all (using a bootable Windows installing device [usb or dvd])

It's a good idea to unplug all drives except the one you're installing Windows on until Windows is fully installed. To avoid complications, like some parts of Windows being installed on one drive and some on another, etc.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

6 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

And yeah, I totally forgot about games, leve them where they are, you will likely have no trouble with them, he is right.

5 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

BUT, IMPORTANT, windows has its own built-in feature which restores your Windows installation to a "factory state". It lets you choose whether you want to KEEP your files, your apps or both, but keeping your apps can lead you to tons of compatibility troubles with versions and installing folders. I would recommend you to just keep your files and reinstall the apps.

No, you should ALWAYS unplug all drives except the one you are installing on.

When installing, you need to delete all the partitions on that drive.

Having other drives plugged in adds risk that you will accidentally delete one of the partitions of stuff you actually want to keep.

Also, windows is stupid and even when you select which drive you want to install windows on it creates 3 other partitions which can often be accidentally put on other drives.

Then you end up with an OS with parts on different drives, and you can't format or remove any drive otherwise the OS stops working.

TLDR: only have ONE drive plugged in while installing windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It's a good idea to unplug all drives except the one you're installing Windows on until Windows is fully installed. To avoid complications, like some parts of Windows being installed on one drive and some on another, etc.

I have never ever had any problem like that and Ive installed tons of Windows... o.O

10 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

I have never ever had any problem like that and Ive installed tons of Windows... o.O

Same. I've literally installed Windows at least a few hundred times and never seen this happen.

11 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

Good for you. Many people (inc. myself) have had these problems happen. If you don't want to give Windows a chance to install on other drives, the easiest and most foolproof way to do that is to just disconnect those drives.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

4 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Good for you. Many people (inc. myself) have had these problems happen. If you don't want to give Windows a chance to install on other drives, the easiest and most foolproof way to do that is to just disconnect those drives.

yeah i think that will work. so i just unplug the drives except the system drive, then reset or reinstall the system?

reset or reinstall, which one is better? i think both of them i just need to log in my MS account

1 minute ago, jxing2 said:

yeah i think that will work. so i just unplug the drives except the system drive, then reset or reinstall the system?

reset or reinstall, which one is better? i think both of them i just need to log in my MS account

If you remove your D, E, F, etc. drives, then the data on them should remain safe. I'd suggest either doing a full clean reinstall, or a "keep my files" reset.

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

If you remove your D, E, F, etc. drives, then the data on them should remain safe. I'd suggest either doing a full clean reinstall, or a "keep my files" reset.

if i do a full clean reinstall, can win10 still know i have already activate it?

Yes, Windows 10 automatically activates based on your HWID. You don't need a CD Key.