How do I get the best possible airflow in my case?

MValuableP

Hello everyone,

I'm in need of help. I am going to be building a PC in the near future (yeah I'm waiting for Ryzen so Intel prices drop blah blah blah), but I'm debating on my airflow. I don't know how I want to set it up, as I'm getting a 240mm CPU AIO cooler, that can be either put in the front as intake or on top as exhaust. The case I'm buying is the Phanteks Eclipse p400S, and I believe it comes with 2 stock fans that I'll use.

I have three scenarios:

1. I use the AIO cooler as intake on the front. Then I'll be able to put one exhaust fan at the top and one at the back for exhaust as well. That should in theory give me relatively balanced airflow through my system, but there might be better options.

2. I use the two stock fans as intake on the front and put my AIO cooler on top for exhaust. That (I believe) should make cable management easier and make it look "cleaner", but I don't know if exhausting with an AIO cooler is a good idea (please inform me).

3. I use the same strategy from number 1, but go out and buy another fan and put it as exhaust on top for 3 exhaust fans in total. The only thing is it might make the airflow unstable, as there will be more exhaust fans than intake fans.

As you can probably tell, I need you guys' help. Here's a link to my entire build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZhmGtJ

Another thing. I do NOT need help on picking parts. Therefore, this post is not meant for you to leave suggestions such as; "thats the fucking worst piece of garbage pc ive ever seen get this *puts pcpartpicker link in*", as I don't need that.

The only thing is if you've got a plan that involves a special king of AIO cooler because it has some weird feature or something, then it's okay to mention it, and I'll have a look. 

Thank you in advance :D

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

Unfortunatly I am not the best in building PC's. However for the best possible airflow I'd recommend building your rig without a case. As for where you would put all the materials then I'd recomend Antartica. Not only is it one of the coldest places on earth (killing cooling solution!) it also happens to be one of the windiest places on earth (Maximizing airflow).

I am sorry for the lack of a valuable contribution. I hope that someone with actual knowledge comes to help you.

4 minutes ago, mathizel said:

Unfortunatly I am not the best in building PC's. However for the best possible airflow I'd recommend building your rig without a case. As for where you would put all the materials then I'd recomend Antartica. Not only is it one of the coldest places on earth (killing cooling solution!) it also happens to be one of the windiest places on earth (Maximizing airflow).

I am sorry for the lack of a valuable contribution. I hope that someone with actual knowledge comes to help you.

Might move there then ;)

Thank you, I hope someone is able to help me :D

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

Routing cables and making sure none are in the path of your fans' airflow is a good place to start.

As for the radiator location, if you want maximum airflow, I'd suggest putting it with the exhaust fans like your second option. The air coming in from your intake is fresh air that isn't partially blocked by your radiator and allows it to go more directly to more areas of your PC. Not to mention that fresh air goes directly to your radiator and exhausts it right back out, making it a better cooling solution.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

As you can't move to colder climes you will just have to live with fans etc. Cases help direct airflow to where it is required so quite often the airflow is actually 'better' with the side closed than open

Never have more fan(s area) out than in .  If anything have more in than out, gives positive pressure which helps restrict dust ingress to the machine.

The fans in will already be moving less air as it is blowing air through the radiator.

Two in through a radiator does not equal the two exhaust so perhaps the two in through the radiator+one unrestricted intake in against the two fans working as exhaust.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

2 minutes ago, thomas gameris said:

if you want the best air flow just dont use a case or use it without side panel :DDD

Nope. Cases help direct airflow to where it is required so quite often the airflow is actually 'better' with the side closed than open

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

10 minutes ago, Psychemm said:

Routing cables and making sure none are in the path of your fans' airflow is a good place to start.

As for the radiator location, if you want maximum airflow, I'd suggest putting it with the exhaust fans like your second option. The air coming in from your intake is fresh air that isn't partially blocked by your radiator and allows it to go more directly to more areas of your PC. Not to mention that fresh air goes directly to your radiator and exhausts it right back out, making it a better cooling solution.

So solutions 2 is my best option?

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, soup said:

As you can't move to colder climes you will just have to live with fans etc. Cases help direct airflow to where it is required so quite often the airflow is actually 'better' with the side closed than open

Never have more fan(s area) out than in .  If anything have more in than out, gives positive pressure which helps restrict dust ingress to the machine.

The fans in will already be moving less air as it is blowing air through the radiator.

Two in through a radiator does not equal the two exhaust so perhaps the two in through the radiator+one unrestricted intake in against the two fans working as exhaust.

Your message is a bit unclear. Can you give me a final answer of which of my solutions would work best?

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

Theres a linus tech tips about it. Check the pc building playlist. By the way, they tested It and It doenst if your cables are in the middle of the airflow, they dont interfere. The only thing that matters is whether you push the air in or out the case and the distribution.