Windows, MacOS, or Linux ? who winning ? why ?

Operating Systems  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Windows, MacOS, or Linux ? whos winning ?

Just like the hardware lets take a poll on the software as well.

the parameters are:

Stablility

User Friendly

Third party software support

Repositories (apple store / windows store)

Functionality

Also tell us which OS are you using and on which machine, and why ?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA Z170M - D3H | CPU - intel core i7 6700k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler | RAM - 32gb Kingston HyperX 2666 (8x4) | Graphics - Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb (Gigabyte) | PSU - Cooler Master B700W PSU | SSD 1 - 120GB Kingston 100 UV SSD (simple storage) | SSD 2 - 240GB kingston 400 UV SSD (OS & programs installed) | Cabinet - Corsair Spec 1 | OS - Windows 10 home Single Language 64bit

:) If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer:ph34r:

I voted for Windows.

Machine 1 (windows) (Custom built gaming rig)

Good for day to day work, supports millions of third party softwares, gaming feels just right.

Machine 2 (MacOS) (Custom built)

Only for FCP and Garageband

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA Z170M - D3H | CPU - intel core i7 6700k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler | RAM - 32gb Kingston HyperX 2666 (8x4) | Graphics - Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb (Gigabyte) | PSU - Cooler Master B700W PSU | SSD 1 - 120GB Kingston 100 UV SSD (simple storage) | SSD 2 - 240GB kingston 400 UV SSD (OS & programs installed) | Cabinet - Corsair Spec 1 | OS - Windows 10 home Single Language 64bit

:) If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer:ph34r:

Voted for windows.

Im using it on my custom built gaming pc.

I use it cause I've always used windows for gaming, so naturally I just kept going with the flow.

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

does win/mac/linux fall under flame wars?

also, none are "winning", they just apply better to different parts of the market:

90-something % of the desktop market is windows

90-something % of the websites publicly accessible are hosted on linux

every time you see a DJ, chances are pretty big they have a macbook.

Linux isn't an OS. It's a kernel. It's also the only one of the three that really belongs to the user.

If you don't care about being in charge of your computer and the limited variety of software and hardware compatible with MacOS meets your needs, it's probably the better choice on the account of better stability and supposed user friendliness ( personally, the MacOS DE frustrates me to no end, but I recognize that I'm in the minority on that).

I voted for Windows only because it has the largest market share. Though if MS keeps screwing up they might find themselves fighting for Market Share. MAC OS market share has grown, so have Linux. I think if Vulcan API takes off and we get slightly better Linux support, Linux might be able to put up a small fight against MS. But as it stands MS Windows is the most widely used at home and in business. As a result most people will continue to buy Windows based machines. 

Now if you look at the server market you see that most players have an equal share. Which I find more interesting.  

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

does win/mac/linux fall under flame wars?

also, none are "winning", they just apply better to different parts of the market:

90-something % of the desktop market is windows

90-something % of the websites publicly accessible are hosted on linux

every time you see a DJ, chances are pretty big they have a macbook.

Not a flame war if we act like civilized humans. But you really hit the nail on the head. Thats really how the market is. What most people dont understand is every company has a market they try to hit. Microsoft is business. Linus is servers, and Macs are creative people/students. I see lots and lots of students at EMU with Macbooks. 

On a side note. When I graduate from University I plan on maybe turning to Linux on my desktop and or laptop. I dont like the direction MS is going. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Desktop: Windows (Gaming)

Laptop: OSX (Work)

CPU i5 6500 - Motherboard ASUS H110M-K - GPU Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB - RAM 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix - SSD Kingston V300 120GB SSD - HDD WD Blue 1TB - PSU Corsair RMx 550W - Case NZXT S340 (White)

Linux isn't an operating system >.> GNU/Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/Arch/etc. are. Android is. ChromeOS is. Kernel is just a kernel, more comparible to NT or Mach. An OS is built around/on top of a kernel.

The reason I'm being pedantic is because it's important to understand the difference between kernel and OS if you want to talk about who's winning.

From a kernel perspective all the factors you listed are pretty similar. 

At the OS level comparing Windows andMac OS and is fairly easy. But adding Linux based OSes in makes things more complicated because, not only is there a ton of different distributions of GNU/Linux (I assume that's what you were referring to?), there's also Android, ChromeOS, and several other platforms that don't use traditional GNU system packages.

Even with GNU/Linux though those factors all vary wildly depending on the individual distribution. Red hat Linux is insanely stable, whereas Fedora breaks constantly. Ubuntu is super user friendly to the point of pissing off free software fanatics, but Debian is definitely not the most user friendly of beasts. Functionality? How can you say no to the extra productivity inspired by Hannah Montana Linux?

Linux is my answer, but I want to be clear that "Linux" is not a single entity to compare against Windows or Mac. That would be like comparing Windows to Mach instead of MacOS. Mach runs not just MacOS and iOS, but also most BSDs, GNU's Herd, the PS4 OS, and others.

On my computers at home and work I have a ton of different VMs running, most of which are running either Windows or Fedora, but a few of which have other specialized Linux OSes tailored towards their needs.

On 16/2/2017 at 10:33 AM, gabrielcarvfer said:

User Friendly

- Windows

I'd say some Linux Distros are very very good user-friendly, even better that the stock windows. Elementary, Mint, Manjaro, even Ubuntu's Unity...

It's a diferent paradigm and people are SO used to windows its hard for anyone, but in terms of friendliness Linux Distros have been focusing on it a lot lately

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Banana, watermelon, kiwi. 

Which one you like???  

/s

My point is it is all about personal preference. 

I use macOS for work and other stuff. Windows for gaming only. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.