LMG now shooting with 8K cameras?

My first post on this forum ... so I appologize if this is the wrong place to ask.

I saw in Unboxing a PETABYTE of Storage - HOLY $H!T Ep. 16 ( https://youtu.be/uykMPICGeqw ) that they are now using 8K cameras?  

Does anyone know what camera they are using and what type of machine they are editing on?

as to the machines just watch the office videos since its a bit complicate since they use a rendering server as well as their main computers which are already beefy computers 

I know, that they are shooting on a RED Camera. Ithink it's the Dragon variant. Just editing them on their regular editing rigs. They uploaded a video where they showed them off, so you'll find the specs over there.

Wow ... an 8K RED is quite an amazing camera.  I'm sure this will help them with their green screen shooting.  They must be intending to crop/zoom in post so they don't have to use two cameras to have a tight and wide shots.  I wonder if they picked up a Red Rocket for their work stations.  

I edit Blackmagic RAW footage and I wish they had a solution like RED does.  I hope they aren't going through their crazy transcoding methods that they did in the past.

12 minutes ago, J4ynik said:

They uploaded a video where they showed them off, so you'll find the specs over there.

What video was that?

4 minutes ago, MarkDLeach said:

What video was that?

I think It was the video when they were upgrading their coolong system to cool the whole room with the same loop, but that video is a bit old.

They record in 8k, but I still only watch it in 1080p..........

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

21 minutes ago, MarkDLeach said:

I'm sure this will help them with their green screen shooting.

When it comes to chroma keying, while actual footage can be important, the lighting of the shot is vastly more important, as well the skill of the artist doing the key.  But to be honest, I'm a VFX artist, but the time it'd take to get a 'proper' chroma key for television production, it's not he time I'd think it'd be worth investing in something like LTT.  They're probably trying to get a single 'good' key with just one instance of KeyLight and maybe a few garbage masks.

They shot the last few videos in the RED EPIC-W with the 8K Helium sensor, but a few days ago the new RED WEAPON HELIUM arrived, the differnece between the two of them is different internal speca, like higher FPS up to 8K and other sstuff.

I believe they have upgraded their WS with 6900K and TITAN XPs, although not sure, but most tlikely they are using Adobe Premiere Pro along with RED's proprietary softwware along with RED ROCKET X Accelarators, most likely use case scenario, on their Rendering Server /Farm.

Edited by JamieOlive

I hope LMG does a full feature on how they film, and the methods used to process, way beyond my budget but I would love to geek out over it.

@LinusTech DO ITTT

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

51 minutes ago, Jim-B said:

only 16 times less resolution. haha 

28 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I hope LMG does a full feature on how they film, and the methods used to process, way beyond my budget but I would love to geek out over it.

@LinusTech DO ITTT

pretty sure they have at least a similar video on the Edditing and processing the videos 

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

pretty sure they have at least a similar video on the Edditing and processing the videos 

I hope they do another, with all their new servers and setup.  Bonus marks for all of LMG wearing RGB tuxedos.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

13 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

only 16 times less resolution. haha 

Hey, schtap it, its HD and thats all that matters.

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

49 minutes ago, Jim-B said:

Hey, schtap it, its HD and thats all that matters.

720p is HD also but 720p feels so Low res now days haha. But everyscreen i use at home is 4k lol. 

4 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

720p is HD also but 720p feels so Low res now days haha. But everyscreen i use at home is 4k lol. 

sorry, couldn't help myself/.....

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

When it comes to chroma keying, while actual footage can be important, the lighting of the shot is vastly more important, as well the skill of the artist doing the key.  But to be honest, I'm a VFX artist, but the time it'd take to get a 'proper' chroma key for television production, it's not he time I'd think it'd be worth investing in something like LTT.  They're probably trying to get a single 'good' key with just one instance of KeyLight and maybe a few garbage masks.

Absolutely.  A good codec with a high bitrate is also very important when it comes to getting a good key.  Even moreso if you plan on zooming/reframing in post.  I don't think I have seen any of their greenscreen work on their new gear ... but I know given given equipment and stage they have, their keys should be better.  It looks like they might have a lot of bounce since the hosts tend to look discolored for those videos.  Hope people don't read that as an insult to LMG.

2 hours ago, Jim-B said:

A lot of production houses use gear that is 2x high resolution than what they master for so they can zoom in post without dropping below the master resolution.  So shooting at 8K to master for 4K for most people to view at 1080p is actually pretty normal

Ah man i'm still at 1080p on my monitors.  Might need an upgrade sooner than I thought.

CPU i5 6500 - Motherboard ASUS H110M-K - GPU Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB - RAM 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix - SSD Kingston V300 120GB SSD - HDD WD Blue 1TB - PSU Corsair RMx 550W - Case NZXT S340 (White)

On 16.2.2017 at 2:15 PM, Kierax said:

@LinusTech DO ITTT

Brandon will most likely do overview of camera at some point (not in FPC yet). But I don't think their workflow will change otherwise. And you can find hints on how that works from older server upgrade videos. And the server troubleshooting video.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

We don't even know how to do it yet. RED footage is freakin huge and Premiere is not great with it. Even just importing it can lead to problems. attaching proxis often doesn't work. Viewing at 1/4 or 1/8th resolution works well on my computer, not as well on some others. Premiere can't even SORT the footage in alphanumeric order. How hard is that, Adobe??

But daaaaayum does the footage look good.