Proper Way to Assign Static Ip Address

iceblade2097

Hello, I was reading up on how to assign static IP addresses for port forwarding and the guides I was reading essentially said go to the network connections properties  and alter the config on ipv4,  After plunking around on my router I noticed there was an option to "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 64)".  My questions are as follows:

1) Is it better to assign an static ip address via the properties on the ipv4 protocol or through the manual assignment on the router?

2) If the OS is set to automatically get an IP address but the router has that device bound to an IP address via a MAC address via the manual assignment option on the router will the two settings conflict? 

3) Why would a router limit the number of bindings to such a low number?

5 minutes ago, iceblade2097 said:

Hello, I was reading up on how to assign static IP addresses for port forwarding and the guides I was reading essentially said go to the network connections properties  and alter the config on ipv4,  After plunking around on my router I noticed there was an option to "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 64)".  My questions are as follows:

1) Is it better to assign an static ip address via the properties on the ipv4 protocol or through the manual assignment on the router?

2) If the OS is set to automatically get an IP address but the router has that device bound to an IP address via a MAC address via the manual assignment option on the router will the two settings conflict? 

1) Is what you're using a laptop? If so then I'd set the IP address via the router and leave the laptop set to automatically use whatever the DHCP server assigns it so it doesn't mess with things if you try to connect to an outside network with it, like in a library/starbucks/friend's house etc. If it's just a desktop that you don't like take to lan parties then you can do it through either one or both if you want really.

2) There shouldn't be any conflict between them, unless you accidentally set both to differnet IP addresses.

3) 64 static IP addresses is more than enough for a router on a residential network because I doubt you really have enough internet capable devices to have that be a limiting factor xD

1. Set the Static assignment on the DHCP server and also Set the device to DHCP with Manual Backup of the Static address on the device.(this allows for failover in-case of router issue/power failure)

2. the settings don't conflict in that scenario, the Router will just give the DHCP for the static assignment to the OS.

3. this will depend on a number of things, OS that the router is running, the Subnet size and a few other things, however in most cases you won't have more than 64 devices that need a static address(normally servers)

As mentioned it is always better to set the IP addresses statically via the DHCP server. This prevents double leasing and makes it easier to manage.

Double leasing can occur with a device that is manually set through its network properties to use an IP address. While that device is offline (powered off or removed from the network, eg. laptop or phone), that same IP address may be leased to another address. When the first device returns, it will show connectivity errors as the IP address is leased twice.

5 hours ago, iceblade2097 said:

The end result will be more or less the same. It just depends on how you want to handle things like avoiding duplicate addresses.

No, that is exactly how you want things set up if you use the "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP".

Your computer will ask for an IP from the DHCP server like normal, and the DHCP server will always give the same IP to that particular computer.

No idea.

If you ask me, the proper way is to set your DHCP to exclude the ~10 first addresses, and use those to manually assign them to computers though the "network properties menu".

1) It requires less configuration. You change the DHCP scope once and then you just set the IP on each machine, instead of having to look up the MAC-adress and then manually bind that every time you add/change/remove a computer.

2) If your DHCP server stops working it won't cause devices with static IP's to lose them. They can just keep working as if the DHCP server never existed to begin with.

3) If you work with larger networks, you will have to do it this way anyway. Nobody is going to set up a DHCP server and assign static addresses for things like point-to-point links between routers, or for virtual interfaces.

The two benefits I can see with having static DHCP are:

1) You don't risk assigning the same IP to two devices (although this is easily avoided by being able to count to 10).

2) If you need the static IP to be on for example a laptop then it can be a pain in the ass to go into settings and manually set your IP when you get home, and then when you take the laptop to somewhere else like work you have to enable DHCP again.