Looking for a RAID card

2 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

Side panel fans? I have never even seen a case with side panel fans.

Yeah, sadly they got killed off for windows / glass panels.

Pretty much I'm just saying try to get some airflow to the RAID card if you can.

I should probably spend the extra money to get the RAID card with the fan.

Well, I think you're still going to need to get a fan to blow air...I'm doubtful the tiny fan on that RAID card can keep it cool without any other airflow.

Ah, just a safety thing, I'm sure it's obvious, but please don't grab RAID cards if they've been under load / don't have a direct fan cooling them. They will burn you...I learned this first hand.

3 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, just a safety thing, I'm sure it's obvious, but please don't grab RAID cards if they've been under load / don't have a direct fan cooling them. They will burn you...I learned this first hand.

That also includes 10Gb network cards.

I wondering if it is even worth it to invest so much money in a SAS 3 RAID card when SAS 4 is expected later this year.

19 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

I wondering if it is even worth it to invest so much money in a SAS 3 RAID card when SAS 4 is expected later this year.

Oh wow, I didn't think SAS4 was due out yet...I even thought SAS3 was only couple years old. Enterprise sure moves fast.

9 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Oh wow, I didn't think SAS4 was due out yet...I even thought SAS3 was only couple years old. Enterprise sure moves fast.

New revisions of SAS come out every four years.

SAS 1: 2005

SAS 2: 2009

SAS 3: 2013

SAS 4: 2017?

I thought of another idea of how to get around the SAS2 6gb/s bottleneck but it may cause problems regarding TRIM support. I could put two 1.6 TB SAS2 SSDs in RAID 0 to get speeds around SAS3. Once I buy a new RAID controller later in the year each drive will be 12gb/s which will result in speeds around SAS4.

I have rearranged most of the PCIe devices in my PC to improve airflow? I still haven't decided on a specific RAID card yet. Does anybody have any more recommendations on cooling a RAID card?

WP_20170227_14_18_53_Pro.jpg

8 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

-snip-

Well, the ghetto route would be to literally have a fan free stand right on top of the PSU and blowing air at the card. I think either 92mm or 120mm will fit.

I can see why that RAID card gets hot though...the heatsink is kind of small (height wise).

On 2/16/2017 at 4:57 AM, TheCherryKing said:

I am looking for a RAID card with at least 16 ports and the SAS 3 interface. I am looking for a RAID card that is safe to use 24/7. I have found a few but I am concerned about the temperature of the RAID card. Please help me find a RAID card with a fan or a way to improve airflow in my case.

Are you looking for something that can do hardware RAID or just JBOD? Good Jbod cards are the lsi 9300 series. If it has i16 on the end that means it has 16 ports (4 x sff 8087

46 minutes ago, Donci said:

Are you looking for something that can do hardware RAID or just JBOD? Good Jbod cards are the lsi 9300 series. If it has i16 on the end that means it has 16 ports (4 x sff 8087

I am looking for something with hardware RAID support. I will be choosing either the LSI 9361-16i or the Areca ARC 1883ix-16.

3 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I am looking for something with hardware RAID support. I will be choosing either the LSI 9361-16i or the Areca ARC 1883ix-16.

Yeah, I think you're stuck between the two sadly. Though I'd personally go with the LSI since your ASUS RAID card is currently LSI so you don't have to redo the RAID arrays.

16 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I think you're stuck between the two sadly. Though I'd personally go with the LSI since your ASUS RAID card is currently LSI so you don't have to redo the RAID arrays.

I think the LSI one will be better because it is $200 cheaper and I won't have to redo the RAID arrays. However, there is no fan on the LSI card.

3 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

I think the LSI one will be better because it is $200 cheaper and I won't have to transfer the RAID arrays. However, there is no fan on the LSI card.

Yeah, you might try playing around with mounting a fan near it...or free stand one in front.

That being said, I don't think your RAID card will get that hot since you're not doing RAID5 / 6 (Which really pushes the RAID card hard) or pushing the RAID card that hard with your current set up.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, scottyseng said:

Yeah, you might try playing around with mounting a fan near it...or free stand one in front.

That being said, I don't think your RAID card will get that hot since you're not doing RAID5 / 6 (Which really pushes the RAID card hard) or pushing the RAID card that hard with your current set up.

What size fans should I use? Should I use high airflow or high static fans?

What size fans should I use? Should I use high airflow or high static fans?

Airflow, but you don't need high speed ones. I have Be Quiet Pure Wings on mine and it works well.

As for the size, you have to measure it yourself. I think 120mm or 92mm might work...but it's hard to tell.

My server (Though in your case it would be standing straight up on top of the PSU):

z57kjMU.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, scottyseng said:

Soon I will order a 120mm fan and the LSI 9361-16i.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

Soon I will order a 120mm fan and the LSI 9361-16i.

I wish the best of luck to you. I'm sure it'll serve you well.

My LSI RAID card is still chugging along after three years now.

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I wish the best of luck to you. I'm sure it'll serve you well.

My LSI RAID card is still chugging along after three years now.

Thank you very much for the help. I'll post here if I have any problems. I will order the RAID card sometime next week.