Lancelot (HTPC Rig)

Hello again, fellow TechTippians!

I'm back with my second build in 2 years, and my first build since moving to the USA.

As part of my larger Project: Kingdom series of builds (more on that later), I'm building a HTPC & Couch Gaming PC for use in my living room. For context purposes, the rig will be running on a 4K TV (Model: Sharp N6100U), and in the future will be connected to a (as yet to be determined) wired surround speaker system.

The machine's main purposes will be; running games in Steam Big Picture mode (1080p at 60fps), and connecting to our Plex Media Server on the local network (4K & 1080p content playback).

THE RIG

In the current configuration of parts, the full specs include:

• CPU    Intel i3 7100 (3.9 GHz) (Amazon US)
  • Motherboard    MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC Mini-ITX (Amazon US)
  • RAM    Corsair Vengeance LPX 8Gb (2 X 4Gb) DDR4 2800MHz (Amazon US)
  • GPU    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini (Amazon US)
  • Case    Silverstone SG13B (Amazon US)
  • Storage    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD (Amazon US)
  • PSU    EVGA Supernova G1 650W Power Supply (Amazon US)
  • Cooling    Noctua L-Type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler NH-L9x65 (Amazon US)

THE BUDGET

At a maximum, I'm looking at spending no more than $500-600 on all equipment. I already have the case (due to the dimensions of where the machine is going to be placed, this case was my only real option), and already have the SSD on hand.

THE NEXT STEPS

So I turn this proposed build over to you, LTT forum goers. I'm open to feedback on components choices, suggestions on ways to improve upon the parts I've already got on hand, and any advice on building / maintaining HTPC rigs in general.

That's all for now guys - catch you next time!

Media Producer & PC Enthusiast

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

I personally think you would be better off with this card due to it's small size/performance. Will give you more room, and better overall temps.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814137081&gclid=CMHGjrTUk9ICFUdufgod13kIgQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 minutes ago, Void_Viking said:

I personally think you would be better off with this card due to it's small size/performance. Will give you more room, and better overall temps.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814137081&gclid=CMHGjrTUk9ICFUdufgod13kIgQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's genuinely useful, thank you! I hadn't come across this model from MSI in my research.

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

10 minutes ago, Holford said:

That's genuinely useful, thank you! I hadn't come across this model from MSI in my research.

Glad I could help!

Also I will always reccomend a Cryorig cooler. But of course Noct is always good as well.

Edited by Void_Viking
Forgot to add

A pcpartpicker.com build list is a lot easier to work with.

A 250W psu is more than sufficient to power the system. So 650W is far more capacity than needed. Beside, EVGA G1 psu offer only average quality and performance. Also, the listed unit is 180 mm long. Silverstone lists the max psu length as 150 mm

The cpu cooler is too tall for the case. Silverstone lists the max cpu cooler height as 61mm. Noctua lists the NH L9x65 height (with fan) as 65mm.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($119.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($37.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($139.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($57.15 @ Amazon) 
Total: $505.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-15 23:20 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

53 minutes ago, brob said:

A pcpartpicker.com build list is a lot easier to work with.

A 250W psu is more than sufficient to power the system. So 650W is far more capacity than needed. Beside, EVGA G1 psu offer only average quality and performance. Also, the listed unit is 180 mm long. Silverstone lists the max psu length as 150 mm

The cpu cooler is too tall for the case. Silverstone lists the max cpu cooler height as 61mm. Noctua lists the NH L9x65 height (with fan) as 65mm.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($119.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($37.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($139.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($57.15 @ Amazon) 
Total: $505.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-15 23:20 EST-0500

Thank you for the comprehensive list - I admittedly forgot to use PartPicker to confirm compatibility of my components, and am genuinely grateful for your suggestions. Thanks @brob!