PSU That Doesn't Blow Up?

iamdarkbowser

I need the cheapest reliable PSU capable of 500W that can be found. Black would be preferred but I might be able to make other colors work. It can be new or refurbished.

grey CXM series is good afaik

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Have a look at XFX and also I take it you're on a tight budget but would still like a budget none the less just to give us an idea. I don't know whether to look at units costing $10 or $60.

1 minute ago, FJRiley said:

Have a look at XFX and also I take it you're on a tight budget but would still like a budget none the less just to give us an idea. I don't know whether to look at units costing $10 or $60.

Around $50 USD max. I am already about $200 above my original budget and will have to do some compromising.  

8 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

Around $50 USD max. I am already about $200 above my original budget and will have to do some compromising.  

The PSU is the last thing you should compromise on.

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

8 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

Can't you borrow a bunch of stuff from your brother :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Can't you borrow a bunch of stuff from your brother :P

I want everything to be new, and this computer is for a friend with a laptop that seems to want to commit suicide.

1 minute ago, iamdarkbowser said:

I want everything to be new, and this computer is for a friend with a laptop that seems to want to commit suicide.

Ah, well I gotcha then.

A Corsair CXM would be best for your situation 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, iamdarkbowser said:

The friend or the laptop?  One of these would be much more concerning.

On-topic:  The Rosewill Quarks are affordable, often go on deep discounts, and are decently well made according to the teardowns/reviews I've read.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

14 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

If you can wait for a $10.00 rebate, Newegg has a SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO out there for right around $50.00 after the rebate.

2 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

The friend or the laptop?  One of these would be much more concerning.

On-topic:  The Rosewill Quarks are affordable, often go on deep discounts, and are decently well made according to the teardowns/reviews I've read.

Off topic: If it were for the laptop, I would be using something far more powerful and explosive, to make it pop.

On topic: Just searching "rosewell quark" on amazon, only one of the PSUs is under $100 USD

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

If you can wait for a $10.00 rebate, Newegg has a SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO out there for right around $50.00 after the rebate.

Sold!

Not actually bought yet, I just have chosen it.

4 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

Off topic: If it were for the laptop, I would be using something far more powerful and explosive, to make it pop.

On topic: Just searching "rosewell quark" on amazon, only one of the PSUs is under $100 USD

The Quark 550W is currently US$89.99 on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182349

I bought mine on sale for around $50-60.  Hard to say no at that price for a fully-modular, 80+ Platinum, all-black PSU that was reviewed decently.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

The Quark 550W is currently US$89.99 on Newegg.

I bought mine on sale for around $50-60

Ah, ok, I'm going for the  SeaSonic M12II anyway.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

Ah, ok, I'm going for the  SeaSonic M12II anyway.

Seasonic can pretty much do no wrong.