Do Backplates Cool Your GPU?

oh boy yet another series

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I am so sick of that orange and RGB

illuminated.jpg

Why does Luke look so angry? Reminds me of him:

Slikovni rezultat za sir christopher lee

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

when you think this is the new floatplane video only to realize its not :(

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

Soon!!! (TM)

Still having issues, hoping to have everything resolved very soon... The good news is that you guys probably get 2 videos over there today :P

2 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

Should've stuck to normal youtube. :P

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

5 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Soon!!! (TM)

Still having issues, hoping to have everything resolved very soon... The good news is that you guys probably get 2 videos over there today :P

Something happen today? can't help but notice how far past target release time we are.

also did you just try to TM Soon, I think DirecTV Now might sue, that's there line when asked when features are coming.

12 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I am so sick of that orange and RGB

illuminated.jpg

Just like Zotac man. "Here's a GPU with RGB lighting! Just ignore the bands of yellow on the backplate!"

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Something happen today? can't help but notice how far past target release time we are.

also did you just try to TM Soon, I think DirecTV Now might sue, that's there line when asked when features are coming.

Soon (TM) is just a meme as far as I know... can apply to anyone (Valve HL3 Soon! (TM)), just thought it was funny.

This week is a short week for us here in Canada (we were out Monday), we're still getting used to handling RED footage, and we're training 4 new people here in office... So it's a bit of an odd time, and unfortunately it's causing some issues.

But we'll be much better for it once we get everything figured out :D can't wait to see where we're at in a month or two...

Glad to see the 67/76 thing was fixed even though no one ever acknowledged that on floatplane :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Maybe when you took off the heatsink and applied your own thermal paste, it improved performance exactly equal to the (small) backplate's performance. I think you should have retested with the backplate back on, with the same thermal paste.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Soon (TM) is just a meme as far as I know... can apply to anyone (Valve HL3 Soon! (TM)), just thought it was funny.

This week is a short week for us here in Canada (we were out Monday), we're still getting used to handling RED footage, and we're training 4 new people here in office... So it's a bit of an odd time, and unfortunately it's causing some issues.

But we'll be much better for it once we get everything figured out :D can't wait to see where we're at in a month or two...

guess I'm just to old then, not up on all the meme's. No problem's just curious, lots of changes at LMG these days, 20-30% increase in staff, new cameras, 8k filming, pretending Linus didn't take Project Valerie xDxDxD

What about fan speeds and clocks? Just because the temps arent the same, dosent mean that there werent any differences.

This video proved nothing. Hopefully GN will do a proper video on it.

Also, 6:14 video with only 4:26 worth of actual content? Thats pretty bad

Ncase M1 V3         Samsung Evo 850 2

Spoiler

50gb

Spoiler
Spoiler

2x8gb Corsair LPX 2400mhz

Msi z170i AC pro

Be quiet Shadow Rock LP                     Noctua NF-F12 x12 x3

Be Quiet Sile

nt Wings 3 x2

Corsair Commander Pro

Intel i7 6700k

Samsung Evo 960 256gb                 Corsair SF-450

Gigabyte 980 Ti Extreme Gaming w/ Arctic Accelero Extreme 3

Samsung Evo 850 500gb

Noctua Redux NF-B9 1

Protip: That "cool spot" is down to the shiny copper having a different emissivity than the matte black around it so it reflects the cooler surroundings (point the thermal camera at a window and you'll see yourself, even though the entire window is the same temperature). If you want to compare temperatures between two different materials (or finishes) then put something like electrical tape on them.

I wonder if it'd perform differently in case, instead of on a test bench...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What about preventing heat radiating off the back of the pcb which could possibly raise internal ambient temps which could raise cpu temps?

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

no thermal pads or heat pipes so what is it cooling? the fibreglass PCB? the screws that hold in the real heatsink?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, Ensho said:

What about preventing heat radiating off the back of the pcb which could possibly raise internal ambient temps which could raise cpu temps?

that's not how thermals work, that's like saying since water cooling keeps your stuff cooler you'll have cooler room temperatures.

12 minutes ago, Pat-Roner said:

What about fan speeds and clocks? Just because the temps arent the same, dosent mean that there werent any differences.

Unfortunately I've checked the video to try seeing if gpu clocks were different to see if there was a performance gain that might account for the increased thermals and it just doesn't show gpu clocks....boooooo

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Y'all missed an opportunity to ghetto hack a CPU waterblock to the backside with some thermal pad or tape and see if even under world's best circumstance does it make a difference.

It's also on my todo list to try this with the back of a CPU socket, in theory the die can be cooled through the socket pins through the PCB.

And the Titan X has memory on the backside so it's actually worth watercooling that backplate if you want max overclocks.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

that's not how thermals work, that's like saying since water cooling keeps your stuff cooler you'll have cooler room temperatures.

Ask Steve at Gamer's Nexus if that is a legit concern and see what he says.  Fact is, it may not affect it much, but heat coming off the back plate of a gpu can raise cpu temps for people with lower powered cpu air coolers by raising the internal ambient temps around the cpu socket.  It won't affect matters much, but cooler is always better (unless they are charging you a $40 premium for 3c...cough Aorus).

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

This proofs quite well what I have been thinking and "testing" (by adding backplate to my Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce). The backplate doesn't really help cooling anything, it doesn't affect on the max. temperatures. Whoever thought that few millimeters thick metal plate really affects the cooling, doesn't really know anything about cooling or physics. The backplate would acctually affect cooling if it even would be closely something like heatsink, but it's litterally just a plate. But what backplate (at least with my GPU) does in cooling is it by little bit slows down heating (and this is just plain physics, after all you have that extra mass optimally thermalpadded to the GPUs board, so some of the heat is transfered to the backplate), but that's probably just statistical no real change to the situation.

When someone makes backplate which acctually has a lot of mass and surfacearea and it is mounted to the GPU with thermalpaste and metal-to-metal connection (just like the real cooler, but on the back), I can think it would make a difference in cooling. But then you wouldn't have a backplate, you would have heatsink behind your GPU which wouldn't be that effective than putting that weight and effort to the front of the GPU.

it would have been interesting to test this with evgas new card, with all the additional temp sensors on the vram and power components.

Am I the only one who doesn't care if the backplate helps with cooling?  It helps the card with sagging and it looks better than an open PCB when in a case with a window.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.