Nintendo Switch Thunderbolt 3??

Syris3024

This might be some where, but i could not find it. 

What is the possibility that the Nintendo Switch is rocking thunderbolt 3 as it's "Type C" connector?  

This site got me thing more about it. http://tendoswitch.com/im-starting-to-think-the-usb-c-is-powered-by-thunderbolt-3/

If this turns out to be true could we see a Nintendo external GPU? Thus far surpassing any Xbox One or PS4. 

Nintendo says the Switch will do VR.

.... the switch outputs 1080p  60 fps when docked also incense CPU clock speed due to overvolting. the swich is not more powerful than a ps4 or a Xbox one, the article is pure speculation for views. just remember this is a handheld that runs Zelda 720p on hand and 900p docked not a powerhouse. stop with the unrealistic rumors seriously its like the news of " rx 480  kills gtx 1080 for 200 usd" miracles don't happen, the switch is a optimized tablet. 

Rumor has it that theyre supposed to be releasing a dock that contains a gpu. Im disappointed that we cant connected a usbc to hdmi cable into the switch itself and output it to a tv. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Don't think so. Whoever wrote the article you point out is clearly clueless about actual engineering

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

On Monday there was post about the Switch, appearently it's specs have been leaked... and it precisely debunked the speculation about there being thunderbolt support... :/

Check it:

That thread can tell you more than I can. :)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Display Port alt-mode for USB Type C supports:

- Display Port 1.3

- USB 3.1/3.0/2.0

- Charging

According to the patents the dock contains an adapter that converts Display Port to HDMI 1.4. It's more than likely the Switch is using this USB Type C alt mode. There's no reason why it needs to have thunderbolt so I think it's fairly safe to assume that it doesn't have it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

19 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

GTX 1060 with an ARM cpu.

gg Sony and Microsoft.

why, a 1060 is the bottleneck i was thinking more of a quad sli titan xp. 

On 2/15/2017 at 10:17 PM, skywake said:

Display Port alt-mode for USB Type C supports:

- Display Port 1.3

- USB 3.1/3.0/2.0

- Charging

According to the patents the dock contains an adapter that converts Display Port to HDMI 1.4. It's more than likely the Switch is using this USB Type C alt mode. There's no reason why it needs to have thunderbolt so I think it's fairly safe to assume that it doesn't have it.

only reason is for a more powerful Dock/ GPU in the future 

13 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

only reason is for a more powerful Dock/ GPU in the future 

If that's what they were doing but they aren't so I don't see why there's any reason to speculate. It would also kinda defeat the point of the console if all of your power was in the dock. At that point isn't it just a regular console?

Anyways, the post linked to in the original article added up bandwidths of various technologies. HDMI + USB Type C. That's how they came to the thunderbolt conclusion. They were simply unaware of the fact that there are alt-modes for USB Type C that enable display out. You don't need Thunderbolt support to have video-out run over USB Type C.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

9 hours ago, skywake said:

If that's what they were doing but they aren't so I don't see why there's any reason to speculate. It would also kinda defeat the point of the console if all of your power was in the dock. At that point isn't it just a regular console?

Anyways, the post linked to in the original article added up bandwidths of various technologies. HDMI + USB Type C. That's how they came to the thunderbolt conclusion. They were simply unaware of the fact that there are alt-modes for USB Type C that enable display out. You don't need Thunderbolt support to have video-out run over USB Type C.

I Think it is more of a We wish speculation so maybe this could get actual decent AAA games supporting it.

It would be similar to the Xbox one/ Scorpion PS4/ PS4 pro in terms of how they go about it id imagine.

I doubt its Thunderbolt aswell. Though i do think the switch is too underpowered to get support like the PS4 & Xbox do hopefully im wrong. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2017 at 4:07 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

.... the switch outputs 1080p  60 fps when docked also incense CPU clock speed due to overvolting. the swich is not more powerful than a ps4 or a Xbox one, the article is pure speculation for views. just remember this is a handheld that runs Zelda 720p on hand and 900p docked not a powerhouse. stop with the unrealistic rumors seriously its like the news of " rx 480  kills gtx 1080 for 200 usd" miracles don't happen, the switch is a optimized tablet. 

What?  I don't even....I....what?  I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I can start by pointing out the complete irrelevance of it being a "powerhouse" or not.  That doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything.  Thunderbolt 3 is just a bus, the graphics processing power and processing power of the system are not relevant.

Unrealistic rumors?  Miracles? (which btw, they do happen, and they're rare, do some research maybe?)....ummm...first of all, it's not unrealistic.  At all...it is actually perfectly feasible that it could have used thunderbolt 3.  It just so happens that it was not necessary for the needs of the dock and system and so it doesn't.  Why the hell would you call that unrealistic?  And comparing that "rx 480 kills gtx 1080 for 200 usd" bullshit to the dock using thunderbolt 3 or not?!  again....what?!  That doesn't make any sense as a comparison.  It's like apples to oranges.

To sum it up, while you obviously understand what you're saying, you're not making any sense.

11 minutes ago, johmei said:

What?  I don't even....I....what?  I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I can start by pointing out the complete irrelevance of it being a "powerhouse" or not.  That doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything.  Thunderbolt 3 is just a bus, the graphics processing power and processing power of the system are not relevant.

Unrealistic rumors?  Miracles? (which btw, they do happen, and they're rare, do some research maybe?)....ummm...first of all, it's not unrealistic.  At all...it is actually perfectly feasible that it could have used thunderbolt 3.  It just so happens that it was not necessary for the needs of the dock and system and so it doesn't.  Why the hell would you call that unrealistic?  And comparing that "rx 480 kills gtx 1080 for 200 usd" bullshit to the dock using thunderbolt 3 or not?!  again....what?!  That doesn't make any sense as a comparison.  It's like apples to oranges.

To sum it up, while you obviously understand what you're saying, you're not making any sense.go 

Go make toast in a bathtub, i am trying to say it's a rumor, not gonna happen. re-read my statement before saying i don't know what i am talking about.

The possibility is very slim, considering that Thunderbolt requires more licensing fees to Intel and Nintendo is infamous for avoiding extra fees.

Well that and it doesn't really make sense to have an external GPU with the Switch. Granted I don't know how well its CPU performs against the PS4 Pro's, but I can't imagine the X1 being substantially more powerful if not the same, or less.