Apple TV alternative

Ocian

My dad learned to browse YouTube on the big screen using a android tv and then that got old too slow so I bought a Apple TV as a replacement. However, that keeps coming up as error.  The key thing that was consistent between the transition was the keyboard being used to navigate rather than a phone/tablet/laptop. I need help finding something similar, using keyboard to browse YouTube. 

2 minutes ago, Ocian said:

My dad learned to browse YouTube on the big screen using a android tv and then that got old too slow so I bought a Apple TV as a replacement. However, that keeps coming up as error.  The key thing that was consistent between the transition was the keyboard being used to navigate rather than a phone/tablet/laptop. I need help finding something similar, using keyboard to browse YouTube. 

Nvidia Shield

15 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Nvidia Shield

some SFF PC running kodibuntu

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Steam link is good, and cheap when it's on sale, if you don't mind not being able to use the computer running it at the same time.

Mac Mini? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I was going to suggest a Roku Premiere+ like what I have but that wouldn't use a keyboard...

Maybe like Zodiark1593 suggested, a Mac mini or to save money a cheap Windows PC, connected to the tv?

A cheap Windows computer could be used with a wireless mouse and keyboard.  That might work for what you're trying to do I think.  Logitech makes some very nice small wireless keyboards with a touchpad on them that could work well for your needs.

Seriously? No one has said Chromecast? Fucking $35 man. Get that shit.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

3 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

Seriously? No one has said Chromecast? Fucking $35 man. Get that shit.

I dont believe you can directly use a keyboard with chrome cast.

1 minute ago, AG1233 said:

I dont believe you can directly use a keyboard with chrome cast.

Oh, didn't notice that part. Then yeah, like, something small using Kodi. That's what I'd recommend. Pi or FireStick or whatever.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD