Why isn't hackintosh discussion allowed on the forum?

Aaronius_Leonius

I don't understand why it's not allowed. It's not really hacked software, just a boot loader. Linus even did a hackintosh video a few years ago so it's a bit hypocritical as well.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

6 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I don't understand why it's not allowed. It's not really hacked software, just a boot loader. Linus even did a hackintosh video a few years ago so it's a bit hypocritical as well.

i did wonder this myself, especially given this video exists. Won't argue though, as the forum is well within it's rights to exercise these rules. Maybe it's a case of "do as we say, not as we do"

The rules are pretty flexible though, my article about my own hackintosh is about as close to the line as you can get without being banned or having the thread pruned. 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Welcome to the Twilight Zone... Where the community standards do not quite align themselves perfectly with opinions and motives of the administration, but nonetheless must be upheld because of complicated legal matters.

I personally agree its a bit... "c'mon now guys, really?" But to build a hackintosh (incl. installation of software) you are technically breaking a EULA, and since you don't technically 'own' the software going in,you are actually breaking a law by installing it on a machine not branded and sold by apple. As with all illegal activities in NA, it's a forbidden place here on the forums. This is a gray zone in the CS certainly though.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I remember mods saying the video came out way before they were forced to change the rules due to Apple's pressure or something therefore even though they done it once they can't allow it.

I don't know why bother though, Windows >>>>>> macintosh

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

24 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Windows >>>>>> macintosh

There goes again

In matter of hackintosh though, I guess this is actually a good thing, since I think that the hackintosh dedicated communities are much more capable to help than what a small portion of LTT forums would be.

1 hour ago, DnFx91 said:

i did wonder this myself, especially given this video exists. Won't argue though, as the forum is well within it's rights to exercise these rules. Maybe it's a case of "do as we say, not as we do"

The rules are pretty flexible though, my article about my own hackintosh is about as close to the line as you can get without being banned or having the thread pruned. 

I do see your point and I see that linus is not a hypocrite (sorry Linus). It probably is that case.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Welcome to the Twilight Zone... Where the community standards do not quite align themselves perfectly with opinions and motives of the administration, but nonetheless must be upheld because of complicated legal matters.

I personally agree its a bit... "c'mon now guys, really?" But to build a hackintosh (incl. installation of software) you are technically breaking a EULA, and since you don't technically 'own' the software going in,you are actually breaking a law by installing it on a machine not branded and sold by apple. As with all illegal activities in NA, it's a forbidden place here on the forums. This is a gray zone in the CS certainly though.

It really is a bit of a grey area in legality. Apple doesn't really care though but that doesn't mean they will make any exceptions. 

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

I remember mods saying the video came out way before they were forced to change the rules due to Apple's pressure or something therefore even though they done it once they can't allow it.

I don't know why bother though, Windows >>>>>> macintosh

I just signed up on this forum last year so I wouldn't know. Also, I would rather my computer not restart to update without my permission.

1 hour ago, Jalmio said:

There goes again

In matter of hackintosh though, I guess this is actually a good thing, since I think that the hackintosh dedicated communities are much more capable to help than what a small portion of LTT forums would be.

True, I have gotten a lot of help from tonymacx86

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

It's something to do with apple changing their rules and making this illegal or something like that

Hello

6 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

It's something to do with apple changing their rules and making this illegal or something like that

Its technically not illegal. But LMG has made decision about not to allow asking help or helping with breaking another service's ToS. It falls nicely under piracy ruling and covers, besides piracy itself, all talk about how to break any ToS, circumventing any security system etc.

There is, and has been, many times when LTT content goes against forum rulings. The old Hackingtosh video, USB key to "break" into any Windows PC... I had another example but can't remember it. Linus could be more clear about that kind of advices, "do as I say, not as I do" doesn't always cover it that well.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The TL;DR is = Technically, Hackintosh computers are illegal (depending on the country you live in, anyway).

Why you might ask? Apple TOS agreement for macOS.

Technically, the macOS TOS/EULA specifies that macOS can only be installed on Apple hardware. It's "free" in the sense that the cost of macOS is subsidized by your hardware purchases (and, really, by the entire Apple ecosystem, via app purchases, etc). However, it's not "free" for anyone to use on any hardware they choose. By using macOS on non-Apple hardware ("Hackintosh"), that's technically piracy.

Now, Apple Store doesn't care too much, since Hackintosh computers are pretty rare. Apple Store employees will load macOS onto a USB stick for free for pretty much anyone that asks, but Apple Store Employees do not equal Apple Corporate Policy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

but Apple Store Employees do not equal Apple Corporate Policy.

but but but

aren't they geniuses?

Sorry had to do it.

Because do as I say, not as I do. xD

On the note of that video, I was really surprised that he made it. You have to pirate a copy of OS X to run it. Even though you can't buy the OS, it's still illegal. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Because do as I say, not as I do. xD

On the note of that video, I was really surprised that he made it. You have to pirate a copy of OS X to run it. Even though you can't buy the OS, it's still illegal. 

They made it due to viewer pressure. People have been asking for a video on the subject for years. Plus, the odds of them being prosecuted for such a video are slim at best.

Whereas with the forums, rules are very clear, and the risk goes beyond the individual actions of staff, so it makes sense that they are more cautious on this platform.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hackintoshes are weird. I know some users aren't gamers and that's totally understandable, but the best drawing programs for digital art are Windows only (Paint Tool Sai and Clip Studio). For a media focused machine (rip ports), all I can think of with OSX and creation is Skrillex pressing some buttons. 

It's because of DMCA takedown. @Windspeed36 clarified that in another thread (second part of his reply) ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I find Apple a lot like Nvidia, a locked down company that wants their technology to themselves. It's just the way things are with a lot of companies, and I don't blame them. They created the technology/software, so why should they have to let anyone have access to it if they don't buy it directly from them?

56 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

I find Apple a lot like Nvidia, a locked down company that wants their technology to themselves. It's just the way things are with a lot of companies, and I don't blame them. They created the technology/software, so why should they have to let anyone have access to it if they don't buy it directly from them?

I actually have no problem at all with the way Apple handles Hackintosh builds.

Think about it - they give macOS away free to Apple users. Why? Because those users have already (and hopefully will continue to) contributed to funding the OS via a hardware purchase. macOS is free, because Apple can afford to pay for development of it via profits from other parts of their portfolio.

People who build a Hackintosh are not contributing to that.

I know lots of people would love to legally install macOS (and have proper hardware support) on non-Apple hardware. But I bet those people also want it to continue to be free. If Apple were to ever become an actual OS company and start offering their OS to the masses, they would probably need to start charging for it (or the user inevitably becomes the product).

Apple turns a big enough blind-eye to Hackintosh builds as to allow small communities to exist (and not to sue everyone in sight who does a build). The Apple Store employees also turn a blind-eye towards it, and will pretty much give the OS out to anyone who asks. I think that's good enough for the community, as asking for more will likely end up in what little there is being taken away.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Think about it - they give macOS away free to Apple users. Why? Because those users have already (and hopefully will continue to) contributed to funding the OS via a hardware purchase. macOS is free, because Apple can afford to pay for development of it via profits from other parts of their portfolio.

I would like to add that most of Apple's revenue and profits don't come from the Macs or iPads but from the iPhone. I don't think nowadays Apple spends too much money on macOS but mostly on hardware r&d. I'm pretty sure even Steve Jobs is aware of "Hackintosh" and the only way they did to dissuade people from doing that is buy distributing OS X away from physical discs to online downloads via Mac App Store (Mac OS X Lion and onwards, 2011). I guess one of the reasons why people do this is because of their disappointment with Apple's hardware offerings (e.g. dual core processor and 16 GB memory on a pro laptop?). 

Also a question to all hackintoshers, how's that kernel panic?IMG_5165.JPG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 hours ago, AA-RonRosen said:

DMCA has been mentioned but this is super easy to answer. Making a video and saying look at me im a pirate Arrrrghhh!!! will cause a take down of that one video. Allowing uncontrolled discussion where people teach others how to pirate is going to get your site shut down and blocked from search engines.

Then theres the issue of software ownership; only the copyright owner, owns the software and they get to dictate the terms. If you dont like that then a lawyer is going to count his money while you cry in prison. Lets be honest you'll prob be someones bitch in prison. This is what the GPL and FOSS was created for, because prison marriage is not freedom.

Then theres the practical side where Apple doesnt seem to do anything about piracy. I think this is due to the fact they need to prove any financial loss from you pirating their software. I dont see how they can claim losses more than the $30 upgrade fee which makes it all rather unprofitable.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You have to pirate a copy of OS X to run it.

Back when I started my journey, I had a legit installer DVD bought from Apple and later downloaded from Mac App Store. It breaks the EULA, I guess but is definitely not piracy.

In many communities I've hung around people will actually refuse to help if they find out that you arrr'd it.

Also to note, I think from Apple's perspective Hackintosh attracts a completely different audience to their ecosystem rather than being a threat. That's at least how I went from Windows only person to everything between a custom gaming rig to a MacBook person.

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Also a question to all hackintoshers, how's that kernel panic?

I can't read the text but...

1. What kext is causing the issue? What does the kext do? Is it something that you installed? Have you tried other versions?
  2. Try running it in safe mode (boot parameter -x)
  3. Try no kext cache mode (-f)