Decent router without breaking the bank?

Vishvas Sudarshan

So, I'm looking for a decent router with gigabit Ethernet ports. I'm not looking for blazing fast speeds over Wi-Fi. My main concern is that-

It will be placed in a house which has concrete walls. So Antennas need to be up to mark.

Should I go for Wireless AC? To be future proof?

So can you please suggest some routers which will suite my needs?

Oh and, I'm trying to keep it below $50! :) 

Thanks!

PS: Currently I'm using my ISP router, and surprisingly it covers the whole house. ~2000sqft 

what's the problem with your ISPs router than?

just the missing gigabit ports for lan-connected-computers? get a switch for that, they are dirt cheap...

wan & wifi traffic handeled by the router will never need the provided 100MBit max. I guess.

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

what's the problem with your ISPs router than?

just the missing gigabit ports for lan-connected-computers? get a switch for that, they are dirt cheap...

wan & wifi traffic handeled by the router will never need the provided 100MBit max. I guess.

Currently I'm using a DSL internet connection. So my modem + router has a RJ11 port. I'm gonna upgrade to Fiber soon, so I'll need a router with a RJ45 in port. Also I transfer a lot of files between PCs and the 100Mbps is seriously bottlenecking it!

yes..... and?

changes nothing I said above :-)

Do you know what router/modem you will get for the fiber connection and what it's specs are?

10 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

yes..... and?

changes nothing I said above :-)

Do you know what router/modem you will get for the fiber connection and what it's specs are?

I'm choosing a monthly plan, and I don't get any Router/modem with this plan. :( 

so you want a gigabit capable router with decent wifi (AC if possible) for under 50$

not going to happen unless it's utter trash.

sry - my 2 cents

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

so you want a gigabit capable router with decent wifi (AC if possible) for under 50$

not going to happen unless it's utter trash.

sry - my 2 cents

I found these-

http://www.amazon.in/Netgear-AC-1200-Router-External-Antennas/dp/B00QGOQ2BA/

http://www.amazon.in/D-Link-DIR-842-Wireless-AC1200-Gigabit/dp/B00PVDTRL4/

But the reviews don't sound pleasing. What do you say?

3 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I don't know where you live, but over here I need a special fibre modem for my line, make sure you ISP doesn't require sth. like that either.

do they suggest any models to be used with their service? if so which ones?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA Z170M - D3H | CPU - intel core i7 6700k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler | RAM - 32gb Kingston HyperX 2666 (8x4) | Graphics - Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb (Gigabyte) | PSU - Cooler Master B700W PSU | SSD 1 - 120GB Kingston 100 UV SSD (simple storage) | SSD 2 - 240GB kingston 400 UV SSD (OS & programs installed) | Cabinet - Corsair Spec 1 | OS - Windows 10 home Single Language 64bit

:) If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Maxintosh said:

good find - also says ASUS on the rebranded china thing - which ain't that bad :-) at least they got a reputation to loose :-)

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

I don't know where you live, but over here I need a special fibre modem for my line, make sure you ISP doesn't require sth. like that either.

do they suggest any models to be used with their service? if so which ones?

Sorry, I didn't make my point clear. I do get a fiber modem with 1 Ethernet port, I'll need to hook this up with a router so that I can access the internet over Wi-Fi and transfer files over the Gigabit Ethernet ports.

3 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

good find - also says ASUS on the rebranded china thing - which ain't that bad :-) at least they got a reputation to loose :-)

aint good ?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA Z170M - D3H | CPU - intel core i7 6700k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler | RAM - 32gb Kingston HyperX 2666 (8x4) | Graphics - Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb (Gigabyte) | PSU - Cooler Master B700W PSU | SSD 1 - 120GB Kingston 100 UV SSD (simple storage) | SSD 2 - 240GB kingston 400 UV SSD (OS & programs installed) | Cabinet - Corsair Spec 1 | OS - Windows 10 home Single Language 64bit

:) If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Sorry, I didn't make my point clear. I do get a fiber modem with 1 Ethernet port, I'll need to hook this up with a router so that I can access the internet over Wi-Fi and transfer files over the Gigabit Ethernet ports.

whole different story then... dude... seriously.... :-)

take that asus thingy @Maxintosh posted, looks decent enough for me.

works well too, using it in my office for almost a year now, so far so good !

1 minute ago, Maxintosh said:

aint good ?

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

whole different story then... dude... seriously.... :-)

take that asus thingy @Maxintosh posted, looks decent enough for me.

Yea @Maxintosh. Its good. But looks like it doesn't have gigabit Ethernet ports. Or else I would have bought it right away.

3 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Yea @Maxintosh. Its good. But looks like it doesn't have gigabit Ethernet ports. Or else I would have bought it right away.

@ItsTheDuckAgain suggests a switch, that would be a cheaper option !

you can have the ASUS for the WIFI and a switch for the transfers ! sounds sorted ?

4 minutes ago, Maxintosh said:

@ItsTheDuckAgain suggests a switch, that would be a cheaper option !

you can have the ASUS for the WIFI and a switch for the transfers ! sounds sorted ?

Yup!!! An Unmanaged switch should be fine right?

And can you just tell me your thoughts on the two routers I posted about?

8 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Yup!!! An Unmanaged switch should be fine right?

And can you just tell me your thoughts on the two routers I posted about?

unmanaged shoud get the work done (home) , yet id prefer managable (work)

I wont comment about the netgear (never used), but i have used DLink for over 3 years now, easy setup, good coverage, and the one you listed looks promising !