Full Family Router?

Couzintony

im currently looking at a new router and i have no idea what is good or what i need...

We currently have about 6 devices on wifi streaming netflix er something at any given time and with my new build coming soon i dont wont to suffer from the family watching this n that n everything else while im trying to pew pew... lolz... im looking at spending around $150er so and would love if it had a QoS... also when i do get my setup all done i plan on having my pc wired... 

so any suggestions?...

this is the one we have- https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Tri-Band-Performance-Beamforming-DIR-890L/dp/B00PVD81MK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487127101&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=d-link+router&psc=1

it serves pretty well, except in order for it to work well, you need to turn off smart connect because then it will keep dropping you between a 2.4 and 5ghz network. Either run multiple hotspots, each at different frequencies, or just not have enough 5ghz devices, and keep it on 2.4 like me. It works great, with YT and xbox running in a 2,500 sq ft house with no extenders. You just have to play around with the settings a bit for it to work optimally. 

(and also yes, I picked mine up for about $170, but if you look on other sellers on amazon it says$156 used, which mine is too and it's fine. refurbed by amazon or something)

linus sex tips

d link is pretty good - but asus - netgear and cisco is better - for 150 bucks you could get a pretty good asus or cisco router - just buy one in your budget

22 minutes ago, Couzintony said:

im currently looking at a new router and i have no idea what is good or what i need...

We currently have about 6 devices on wifi streaming netflix er something at any given time and with my new build coming soon i dont wont to suffer from the family watching this n that n everything else while im trying to pew pew... lolz... im looking at spending around $150er so and would love if it had a QoS... also when i do get my setup all done i plan on having my pc wired... 

so any suggestions?...

If your PC is going to be wired while the rest are wireless you'll be fine, there will be plenty of bandwidth on your network for you to play games. Now whether or not you'll have enough bandwidth on the WAN is a different story. As far as I know QoS is good for wired connections but not as good for wireless.

-KuJoe

28 minutes ago, Couzintony said:

so any suggestions?...

Netgear R7000 running custom Tomato Shibby firmware, or any router around $150-$200 from the list on the following page.

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads

This router is still best bang for buck, unless you really need to spend the money on something with faster AC2100+ or something along those lines. For what you described though, the R7000 will be fine. I've installed over 6 or 7 of these routers with DD-WRT or Tomato Shibby since their release in late 2013 / early 2014, and they've been rock solid for 5-15 devices connected to Wifi, all streaming YouTube / Netflix at various times through the day. Definitely the router I recommend for 1-2 story family homes around 1600-2000 sqft.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 hours ago, gtx1060=value said:

d link is pretty good - but asus - netgear and cisco is better - for 150 bucks you could get a pretty good asus or cisco router - just buy one in your budget

But the problem with Cisco is if you with the Cisco 1941, you are then going to need to learn how to configure it, but I am going to be here every step of the way for you if you do decide to get a Cisco 1941. Your best bet will be to get a Cisco 1841, Cisco Catalyst 3560, and Cisco Aironet 1142N access point, and maybe an old computer to load VMware ESXi to load the Virtual Wireless LAN Controller. All of them are Cisco products. The plus side to getting all this hardware is expandability, say if you need another access point somewhere else, you can plug it in, mount it and not have to worry about it. Another is that you get to do traffic filtering using access control lists.

My buddy who's going to school for networking is on the case now... Lolz 

We are gonna sit down n he's gonna figure out which one, where and everything about where and what the router is... Lolz 

3 hours ago, Couzintony said:

My buddy who's going to school for networking is on the case now... Lolz 

We are gonna sit down n he's gonna figure out which one, where and everything about where and what the router is... Lolz 

Who are you talking about... me? I go to school for networking lol.

I've used one of ASUS's AC1900 models. I've pretty much sworn off Netgear, unless their more expensive stuff actually works. The router so far as served me for two or so years and I've never had to reset the thing unless I was doing a firmware update. By this time with a Netgear router, I'd have to reset it once a month just to get the network fixed.

9 hours ago, droidrzrlover said:

But the problem with Cisco is if you with the Cisco 1941, you are then going to need to learn how to configure it, but I am going to be here every step of the way for you if you do decide to get a Cisco 1941. Your best bet will be to get a Cisco 1841, Cisco Catalyst 3560, and Cisco Aironet 1142N access point, and maybe an old computer to load VMware ESXi to load the Virtual Wireless LAN Controller. All of them are Cisco products. The plus side to getting all this hardware is expandability, say if you need another access point somewhere else, you can plug it in, mount it and not have to worry about it. Another is that you get to do traffic filtering using access control lists.

Whoah whoah calm down, not need for that in a home network and is out of the budget, I think the person you quoted was talking about the consumer line, not the isr's. 

You also dont need a wlc for a 1142n, just flash standalone ios to it.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

16 minutes ago, legopc said:

Whoah whoah calm down, not need for that in a home network and is out of the budget, I think the person you quoted was talking about the consumer line, not the isr's. 

You also dont need a wlc for a 1142n, just flash standalone ios to it.

Oh... You do need the wlc if you wanted to see what traffic looked for from Cisco Wireless on Android or iOS

Ended up picked out the Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 ... 

Waiting for it to arrive...

11 hours ago, Couzintony said:

Ended up picked out the Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 ... 

Waiting for it to arrive...

Not bad, I have never heard of that router.

20 hours ago, droidrzrlover said:

if you wanted to see what traffic looked for 

say what? 

a wlc does do some nice things but there is no need at all for a wlc in a home network.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

20 hours ago, legopc said:

say what? 

a wlc does do some nice things but there is no need at all for a wlc in a home network.

True... Funny enough, I have a WLC for my home network... it is a free trial that Cisco provides for 60 days... I am doing backups of the license so that I can have it forever.