Buying a new mouse pad

Rorooo

Hello,

I will be buying a new mouse pad soon. I am okay with the surface of my current one (although I never tried anything else, so it possibly could be better), but I want a larger one. The 
 Asus STRIX Glide Speed and Glide Control look good and are the size, I want. So the question is, which of those too should I get or should I get a different one? I don't play first person shooters, I mostly play simulators, survival games and games like Cities:Skylines and Transport Fever, occasionally GTA V. I spend a lot of time not gaming too, on the internet, programming, chatting etc. Also, I have the A4Tech Bloody Terminator TL8 mouse.
Thanks for replies in advance! :)

I have used the Glide control for quite a while until I switched to my desk mat. I can say the mousepad is quite rough, so moving around a mouse is a bit harder.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I have used the Glide control for quite a while until I switched to my desk mat. I can say the mousepad is quite rough, so moving around a mouse is a bit harder.

Thanks for a reply!

Anyone else has experience with the mouse pads mentioned or has a recommendation for a different one?

Steelseries QCK or Pc GamingRace both make mouse pads of several sizes and are both very good.  Relatively cheap as well, compared to other brands.

2 minutes ago, XxQuikShotxX said:

Steelseries QCK or Pc GamingRace both make mouse pads of several sizes and are both very good.  Relatively cheap as well, compared to other brands.

Thanks for a recommendation :)

I've heard bad things about the Asus, but never tried myself.

Razer Goliathus and Steelseries Qck are widely considered the two best soft pad surfaces. (Tried both and theyre awesome, the Goliathus being the quicker surface)

If you want a serious mouse pad, check out https://www.artisan-jp.com/all_eng.html

Those artisans arnt cheap, will take 2weeks+ to reach you, and dont come in the rediculously big sizes. But, youll never buy a mousepad from a different brand again.

I use the Corsair Gaming MM300 Extended mouse pad and I love it.  It's pretty soft and smooth and it's also big enough to set my keyboard and mouse on.  Plus, it has a sick design on it.

@newgeneral10 That looks really cool! But it's, well, expensive and I know it's because of the size, but is there actually any advantage in having such a big mouse pad that goes below your keyboard too?

1 hour ago, Rorooo said:

@newgeneral10 That looks really cool! But it's, well, expensive and I know it's because of the size, but is there actually any advantage in having such a big mouse pad that goes below your keyboard too?

If you have something like a wooden tabletop that isn't sanded properly then yes, its much more comfortable to rest your hands on a nice fabric instead of a scratchy wood surface.

My surface is wood, but it's not scratchy at all. Anyway, isn't it maybe batter to buy a wrist rest for this?

Yeah you definitely don't NEED an extended mousepad in regular scenarios, but it looks cool...so I got it...

10 hours ago, Rorooo said:

I too have the Corsair MM300 extended mouse pad and absolutely love it. I picked mine up at best buy for 15 USD on sale. Its smooth and comfortable to use for extended periods of time. 

As for if you need it. Not really but it is very nice to have. Plus it pads the desk a bit more and the keyboard doesn't slide around as much on it. 

Edited by Zusafek
Fixed typo

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I use a Razer Manticor and it's so smooth I can't switch back to cloth pads.

The Corsair MM300 looks amazing indeed and I am getting more convinced to buy it, but the cheapest you can get it where I live (Slovakia) is 35€. I would get it from amazon.com for 15$, but they don't seem to ship to Slovakia :( German Amazon ships to Slovakia alright, but it's 35€ there too.

1 minute ago, Rorooo said:

@GreenToxon Wow, that's expensive! Do you think it's really worth 50€?

It really depends on what you prefer, after getting used to the smoothness. The mouse just glides over it.

I've had it for over 4 years now and it still looks/feels brand new.

I tried buying a Razer Goliathus but I didn't like the feel. It was too slow. I'm not that much of a gamer like CS:GO where they need super precise control but for me it was. 

@GreenToxon Thanks for replying. I will probably get something cheaper, because 50€ seems like too much to spend on a mouse pad to me, but I may get the Corsair MM300, because I get a huge pad there. Otherwise still thinking about the Asus STRIX pads, Steelseries Qck and Roccat Taito.

For ages, I just  used the glass surface of my desk (MX Master works on glass) but it wasn't super comfortable. I now have the Steelseries QCK XXL, which is enormous and awesome.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

My suggesstion would be Steelseries QcK+. It's quite good and cheap. It's very comfortable with both of my mice (Razer Deathadder and Kinzu V2). It is all good for daily use.

CPU: I5-8400  Motherboard: ROG STRIX B360H  RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 8GB DDR4-2400 GPU: Palit GTX 1060 6GB SUPER JETSTREAM Case: TECWARE VISION Storage: WD 480 Green M.2 | SAMSUNG 120 SSD | 1 TB WD Blue  PSU: Silverstone ST60FPB 600 Modular 80+ Bronze

4 minutes ago, Lyle said:

My suggesstion would be Steelseries QcK+. It's quite good and cheap. It's very comfortable with both of my mice (Razer Deathadder and Kinzu V2). It is all good for daily use.

Thanks for a reply! Many people seem to have that mouse pad and are satisfied.

I don't think the Steelseries Qck mouse pads are the right size for me. The 40x30 cm on Asus Strix mouse pads seem right for me, may go for one of them at the end or the Roccat Taito. Thanks for all of your replies and I am still looking for other suggestions/opinions.

I ended up buying the Corsair MM300 Medium, it's the right size for me, the surface is very soft and easy to move mouse on and the design is excellent. I am very satisfied so far and would definitely recommend it. I would only say, that for some people it may be too easy to move mouse on.