server cpu cooler.

Pandora

so i recently acquired an older x8dtl-i supermicro motherboard.

currently i have some passive 1u cpu coolers with some 92mm fans strapped to it. while this solution works well enough with lower 80w tdp cpu's with temperatures under realistic load reaching 78 degrees and the fans making some amazing noises (similar to heavy machinery). 

anyway i have run into issue because i want to add 130w cpu's to the computer pretty soon and i doubt my current cpu cooling situation will allow that. 

i have been looking for a while and after talking with supermicro they have told me that they only produce one cpu cooler that supports this motherboard. which i already have.

http://www.supermicro.com/ResourceApps/HeatSink_Matrix.aspx

i have already tried using hyper t2's since they support 1366 and the mounting holes do not line up at all. so thats an issue.

the other issue is that it seems the backplate on the motherboard is attached to the cpu mounting bracket. so i need to find a work around for that. (i work part time at a hardware store so i should be able to rig something)

TLDR i need 2 cpu coolers that support the supermicro X8DTL-i which does not use standard 1366 mounting holes.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

17 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

so i recently acquired an older x8dtl-i supermicro motherboard.

currently i have some passive 1u cpu coolers with some 92mm fans strapped to it. while this solution works well enough with lower 80w tdp cpu's with temperatures under realistic load reaching 78 degrees and the fans making some amazing noises (similar to heavy machinery). 

anyway i have run into issue because i want to add 130w cpu's to the computer pretty soon and i doubt my current cpu cooling situation will allow that. 

i have been looking for a while and after talking with supermicro they have told me that they only produce one cpu cooler that supports this motherboard. which i already have.

http://www.supermicro.com/ResourceApps/HeatSink_Matrix.aspx

i have already tried using hyper t2's since they support 1366 and the mounting holes do not line up at all. so thats an issue.

the other issue is that it seems the backplate on the motherboard is attached to the cpu mounting bracket. so i need to find a work around for that. (i work part time at a hardware store so i should be able to rig something)

TLDR i need 2 cpu coolers that support the supermicro X8DTL-i which does not use standard 1366 mounting holes.

it might actually be possible that that is the case with the CPU coolers (servers are like that at times) meaning that you are stuck with them, the only thing I can think of to fix your problem would be to ass more powerful fans to the case (replacing all of the fans) and hope that that will be able to handle the new load. why do you need then 130W CPUs, by the way? and what CPUs are you changing from and to?

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

I just got this board You can use hdd screws in the mounting holes I'm using this cooler with the pins cut off, http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/akasa-ak-968-x4-cpu-air-cooler-n48hr @thorbrantly101

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

4 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

I just got this board You can use hdd screws in the mounting holes I'm using this cooler with the pins cut off, http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/akasa-ak-968-x4-cpu-air-cooler-n48hr @thorbrantly101

you my friend are amazing.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

13 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

it might actually be possible that that is the case with the CPU coolers (servers are like that at times) meaning that you are stuck with them, the only thing I can think of to fix your problem would be to ass more powerful fans to the case (replacing all of the fans) and hope that that will be able to handle the new load. why do you need then 130W CPUs, by the way? and what CPUs are you changing from and to?

x5660 to x5690's. this server is going to be running alot of virtual machines and a few game servers. 

3 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

x5660 to x5690's. this server is going to be running alot of virtual machines and a few game servers. 

so it's for the clock speed boost, if it's all gaming servers, unless you have about 15+ players (depends on the game that number, but that's a rough average I think) 2 cores of the X5660 should be fine, but yea, your choice and I don't know your entire use case. but yea, all I can think of is more powerful fans

And more, several more

6 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

so it's for the clock speed boost, if it's all gaming servers, unless you have about 15+ players (depends on the game that number, but that's a rough average I think) 2 cores of the X5660 should be fine, but yea, your choice and I don't know your entire use case. but yea, all I can think of is more powerful fans

ya i already have about 13 people regularly online on the Ark server and a crap ton of mods (with more being added).  currently i run the VMs with 4 cores dedicated to to them but i have noticed some hiccups so an upgrade will be necessary 

2 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

ya i already have about 13 people regularly online on the Ark server and a crap ton of mods (with more being added).  currently i run the VMs with 4 cores dedicated to to them but i have noticed some hiccups so an upgrade will be necessary 

fair enough, guessing your too skint for a server with newer CPUs as well

And more, several more