Razer anounces the new new new new NEW Razer Blade with Kaby Lake and 4K display options

Lillchillers
11 minutes ago, Remixt said:

I've never noticed any issues with their products. The quality feels good to me, and my original razerblade still looks and feels just as good as the day I got it. I also own two of their keyboards and mice both of which are better than any of the previous ones I've used. They might not use expensive materials, but for me as a prosumer they don't have anyone that can compare in good quality combined with good service. I will concede that their naming scheme sucks ass though.

Some would argue that you are paying for the experience as well as the product. 

again you are thinking about feel, not the actual build quality. I have no idea where you are getting that good support from, pretty much everyone that has ever had a blade in for a RMA has had a very shitty experiance.

Okay you are a prosumer, why don't you buy Elitebooks, Precision, ThinkPad or any other business/workstation laptop? They all wreck the Blade is build quality, a L series thinkpad would put the blade to shame and that is a laptop that is mainly out of plastic... Business support is also worlds better than any other support.

The feel of a product basically tells you jack shit. You could have a laptop that feels like it could survive a nuke, but it has a tiny capacitor that is so low quality that it dies after a month, or use so cheap screws that it breaks open when you drop it from 50cm height. Alumium isn't a very good material to build a laptop out of, since it doesn't absorb shocks that well, but it feels very nice.

You might not have a issue with their keyboards, mice and your blade, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a ton of people that hasn't had a lot of problems with them.

I personally own a "prerelease" Deathadder 2013, a orbweaver and a extended goliathus, my deathadder works like it did the day I got it, but a lot of people have double clicks. 

It just goes to show that you might be lucky, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a huge problem with the given product.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

So yet another portable stove, with shitty build quality and shit quality control.

Reveal hidden contents

garbage_cc.jpg

Minor nitpick:

One of them said the SSD used in Razer blades is a 950 pro but I saw a review commenting on the speed of a 960 EVO that mentioned the Razer blades using Samsung's OEM version of what would I guess be considered a 950 EVO if there was a consumer version.  The OEM 950 has two versions, one TLC and the other MLC like the 950 Pro, with the TLC version using 950 EVO equivalent (sort of anyway) being what used to be in Razer laptops a few years ago.  

If the laptop the video focuses on is a 2014 Razer blade then I assume not only is it not using a consumer SSD like a 950 Pro but if the laptop is a 2014 laptop I also assume it's not a 950 EVO or OEM equivalent which according to what I've found were both released in 2015.  

You can see where I'm getting my info from here:

http://www.windowscentral.com/960-evo-review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10698/samsung-announces-960-pro-and-960-evo-m2-pcie-ssds

The anandtech link includes a very helpful chart showing specs for some of Samsung's m.2 SSDs both consumer and OEM.  

It's worth noting that the OEM drives have some specs lower than their consumer SSD counterpart and a few specs higher.  

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

that's ok. There's a forum loophole I exploited which means the mods will remove that post from tech news for now xD.

What loophole would that be?  lol

Razer's laptops already had 4K didn't they?    

I had looked at them back in December or early January I think and I could've sworn they already had 4K screens.  So I'm not sure if that's new or not.  

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Always say that Razer is the Apple of PCs... overpriced stuff that only manages sales thanks to overwhelming marketing.

They are both very expensive...

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well it isn't like Razor or even Apple for the matter manufactures crap stuff... no, they do have to show quality otherwise all the marketing in the world wouldn't be enough... but when you give yourself the trouble to check their offerings, price tags and all compared to other offers in the market you realize you really are paying mostly only for a brand name and not for the product.

My main reason for being interested in a Razer laptop is the eGPU compatibility.  

I would love to be able to have a laptop and use it with an eGPU that would easily beat even the best laptop GPU and for likely a lot cheaper.  All for the minor inconvenience of lugging around the eGPU enclosure.  

Though perhaps a different eGPU compatible laptop would be better to look at? 

4 hours ago, Natsoup said:

I see what you're saying, but a $3000 razer blade will be much more powerful than a $3000 macbook.

But there's equal or better performing laptops cheaper than Razer's I'd bet for less money.  

48 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

again you are thinking about feel, not the actual build quality. I have no idea where you are getting that good support from, pretty much everyone that has ever had a blade in for a RMA has had a very shitty experiance.

Okay you are a prosumer, why don't you buy Elitebooks, Precision, ThinkPad or any other business/workstation laptop? They all wreck the Blade is build quality, a L series thinkpad would put the blade to shame and that is a laptop that is mainly out of plastic... Business support is also worlds better than any other support.

The feel of a product basically tells you jack shit. You could have a laptop that feels like it could survive a nuke, but it has a tiny capacitor that is so low quality that it dies after a month, or use so cheap screws that it breaks open when you drop it from 50cm height. Alumium isn't a very good material to build a laptop out of, since it doesn't absorb shocks that well, but it feels very nice.

You might not have a issue with their keyboards, mice and your blade, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a ton of people that hasn't had a lot of problems with them.

I personally own a "prerelease" Deathadder 2013, a orbweaver and a extended goliathus, my deathadder works like it did the day I got it, but a lot of people have double clicks. 

It just goes to show that you might be lucky, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a huge problem with the given product.

I used to buy Dell, but they have crap customer service.(Still deal with that on a weekly basis thanks to my job) Lenovo is known for selling your private information and having backdoor built into their systems. I've only had to RMA one thing from Razer and they sent me a new mouse overnight for free and included postage for returning my old one. So far, Razer is the only company that has yet to disappoint me at some point or another. So personally until then I'll keep buying their stuff, even if it costs a little more.

Source for backdoor evidence.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

23 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

It does have its own problems but you also cant deny it also sticks out with positives as well. 

Wat positives? Other than the form factor and aesthetics. 

22 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Loving the smaller bezels

Bezels DIDNT CHANGE. The video is marketing. They use the SAME panel in the SAME form factor. (1080 at least). Bezels did not change. 

19 hours ago, bobhays said:

Can you just set the 4k screen to 1080p? I know it's a waste but wouldn't it work exactly the same? I don't mind them adding a 1080p touch screen either it's just hard to find great laptops and even harder to find ones with matte screens. A glossy screen will turn me off from basically any laptop, glare is a huge problem for me.

No. Theoretically yes, but reality no. Each panel has it's own specific scaling engine/process and it's different for every panel. Some panels scale down from 4k to 1080p perfectly because every 4 pixels just becomes one. Some panels fuck it up hard. The Samsung PLS 4k works great, whereas the 4k panel on the AW15 R2 (forgot the specific panel) was a goddam shit show when you scaled it down to 1080p from 4k. Beyond that 4k drains the battery really really hard because you're pushing out 4x the amount of pixels. Not to mention all the legacy programs that have never worked with scaling on Windows and native Windows scaling being shit in the first place. Macbooks have their scaling down, they've been using it since 2012, but Windows still can't get it right. rip.

@FoxyOrange so yes, the panel can potentially have interpolation even if it's 4k scaled to 1080p which SHOULD be perfect.

@michaelocarroll007 perfect scalar engines can get the 4k scaled to 1080p with no interpolation, depends on the panel

14 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Another idea would be to add g sync support to the monitor

NO. Battery life will go to shit. DO NOT add GSync to things without a MUX switch that allows for dGPU direct and iGPU passthrough. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Is the "heatsink" (yes double brackets) still  Heatpipe Direct Touch? I don't want hearsay, someone who actually took one apart.  

1 hour ago, Remixt said:

I used to buy Dell, but they have crap customer service.(Still deal with that on a weekly basis thanks to my job) Lenovo is known for selling your private information and having backdoor built into their systems. I've only had to RMA one thing from Razer and they sent me a new mouse overnight for free and included postage for returning my old one. So far, Razer is the only company that has yet to disappoint me at some point or another. So personally until then I'll keep buying their stuff, even if it costs a little more.

Source for backdoor evidence.

I think that I better clear some things up for you, you are talking about their normal laptops, not their ThinkPads, the superfish and bios backdoor was never on a single ThinkPad. What you are saying is a very very big misinformation, yes ideapads had it, but ThinkPads NEVER had it, do you know what would happen if a ThinkPad had it? Companies would stop buying ThinkPads and that would basically just wreck Lenovo. It would bring an end to the ThinkPad line up, a lot of people think of ThinkPads as the Nokia 3310 of the laptop world, so it would be like killing a legend.

Lenovo has also come out with statements saying that no thinkpad has ever had it, the same has the tech people that has been looking into it, that list on the website you linked comfirmes that no ThinkPad had it... In many ways you should think of ThinkPad and Lenovo as being two different companies, because in many ways they are.

https://support.lenovo.com/dk/da/product_security/superfish

This advisory only applies to Lenovo Notebook products.

(ThinkPad, ThinkCentre, Lenovo Desktop, ThinkStation, ThinkServer and System x products are not impacted.)

Also business support and normal support is VERY different, you cannot even compare the two, it is legit like apples and oranges.

Dell is known for having the best consumer support, while brands like Acer and Razer are known for having the worst.

Also I think that you would find it very interresting to read this thread

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

20 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

This advisory only applies to Lenovo Notebook products.

(ThinkPad, ThinkCentre, Lenovo Desktop, ThinkStation, ThinkServer and System x products are not impacted.)

This is literally because these product lines are from IBM which they now control since the split and the creation of Lenovo. Actual Lenovo products designed, engineered and sold by Lenovo almost have nothing to do with the above products, those are IBM in everything but name.

Lenovo is too scared to change anything about them other than update the hardware specifications as technology moves forward. The T460 is practically the same laptops as the T400, newer CPU and chipsets granted but same literal design which is a good thing.

Dell XPS 15 ftw

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

32 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This is literally because these product lines are from IBM which they now control since the split and the creation of Lenovo. Actual Lenovo products designed, engineered and sold by Lenovo almost have nothing to do with the above products, those are IBM in everything but name.

Lenovo is too scared to change anything about them other than update the hardware specifications as technology moves forward. The T460 is practically the same laptops as the T400, newer CPU and chipsets granted but same literal design which is a good thing.

nah the T460 is "very" different from the T400, look at the IO and the keyboard and the trackpad and the shell materials.

I also don't see a need for them to change anything, the T470 will get TB3, same with the T470s.

If you boil it down, then every single new model of any laptop is basically just a new CPU and some different IO.

Yes Lenovo doesn't dare to do much, but I also think that it is because they know the shit storm that would hit them if they did.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

nah the T460 is "very" different from the T400, look at the IO and the keyboard and the trackpad and teh shell materials.

I also don't see a need for them to change anything, the T470 will get TB3, same with the T470s.

If you boil it down, then every single new model of any laptop is basically just a new CPU and some different IO.

Yes Lenovo doesn't dare to do much, but I also think that it is because they know the shit storm that would hit them if they did.

Same but different :P. I'm glad they don't do much anyway, this is a case of don't mess with a good thing.

On 14/02/2017 at 4:20 AM, Droidbot said:

Great, the world's worst laptop is back on sale. 

- Thermal throttling

- U series processor

- Overpriced as fuck

- Horrid support

- A 12 year old's wet dream (if they can even have those?)

The apple of windows pc??? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

The apple of windows pc??? 

At least Apple can make a good OS to go along with their subpar hardware

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

At least Apple can make a good OS to go along with their subpar hardware

True.

"Our software is good, so for our hardware we are gonna over charge you. That's the price you pay for loving macOS."------ Apple. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.