Editing/Portable Laptop

George8D

Hey LTT,

Some may know me from a topic I made in new builds and planning where i was planning to build a PC for Gaming/Editing, Which I still plan to do! But after further thought I feel that something along the lines of a Laptop would be more beneficial in the short term.. My life is all up in the air and I'm never in one place at a time so a beefcake of a desktop running 3x Displays wont be to practical when traveling :P.

My "criteria" if you will is to obtain a Laptop/Notebook that has the capability to Edit videos/images on the fly using Adobe Creative Suite mainly and on occasion boot up a random game maybe on a long flight or what ever..

Key Features:

1. Windows 7/8 (instead of OSX, I don't like it and I feel that Apple Computing is overpriced and annoying, Personal opinion!)

2. No Smaller then 15" 

3. Preferably Lightweight and thin but "Computing Power>Weight/thickness" 

4. Preferably a SSD + HDD with reasonable storage( I have various externals/old Pc's which I dump everything on) 

5. As far as budget goes, there really isn't one.. but for now I will say around the £2000-£2500 Mark.

I have Just looked at a Dell XPS 15 ( I7 Haswell, 16gb ram, 750m 2GB, 512 SSD, 3200x1800 15.6" Screen) which looks great and in a reasonable price range. But my only doubt is the fact its Dell.. I have memorys of hearing that Dell is poor quality and in general bad.. But thats only what I can remember hearing!  Have they sorted their problems out? Or can your recommend an alternative?

Thank you in advance for reading and replying to my topic, your help will be greatly appreciated!

Hey LTT,

Some may know me from a topic I made in new builds and planning where i was planning to build a PC for Gaming/Editing, Which I still plan to do! But after further thought I feel that something along the lines of a Laptop would be more beneficial in the short term.. My life is all up in the air and I'm never in one place at a time so a beefcake of a desktop running 3x Displays wont be to practical when traveling :P.

My "criteria" if you will is to obtain a Laptop/Notebook that has the capability to Edit videos/images on the fly using Adobe Creative Suite mainly and on occasion boot up a random game maybe on a long flight or what ever..

Key Features:

1. Windows 7/8 (instead of OSX, I don't like it and I feel that Apple Computing is overpriced and annoying, Personal opinion!)

2. No Smaller then 15" 

3. Preferably Lightweight and thin but "Computing Power>Weight/thickness" 

4. Preferably a SSD + HDD with reasonable storage( I have various externals/old Pc's which I dump everything on) 

5. As far as budget goes, there really isn't one.. but for now I will say around the £2000-£2500 Mark.

I have Just looked at a Dell XPS 15 ( I7 Haswell, 16gb ram, 750m 2GB, 512 SSD, 3200x1800 15.6" Screen) which looks great and in a reasonable price range. But my only doubt is the fact its Dell.. I have memorys of hearing that Dell is poor quality and in general bad.. But thats only what I can remember hearing!  Have they sorted their problems out?

Thank you in advance for reading and replying to my topic, your help will be greatly appreciated!

My experience with Dell has never been good.  I've had 3 Dell laptops over the years.  I only ever had to use the warranty for one of them, but it took the threat of a lawsuit in order to get Dell to honor the warranty.  I will never buy a Dell computer or recommend Dell mainly because of their customer service.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

That is a lot money. You really should spend it wisely however I'll be out so might not be able to post anything for the time being

Your budget is quite good so you get a cookie for being awesome

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

That is a lot money. You really should spend it wisely however I'll be out so might not be able to post anything for the time being

Your budget is quite good so you get a cookie for being awesome

Haha cheers. Ive had enough of editing on my 2009 sony vaio E which Im lucky if it doesnt crash during a render.. So time to put hand in me pocket and purchase something that will last a reasonable amount of time and can handle the software i currently use! :)

I recommend either the Gigabyte P34G (The laptop I currently use for teaching and gaming) or a Razer Blade. It's thin, fast, nice looking. Only downfall is the awful screen and the lack of 1080p - Otherwise could be good to look at.

i7 4700HQ - Gigabyte HM87 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB - GTX 760M - Gigabyte P34G - 256GB mSATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Power Pack - 14" 1080p - Cooling Vents - Built in keyboard - Razer DeathAdder/Trackpad

I recommend either the Gigabyte P34G (The laptop I currently use for teaching and gaming) or a Razer Blade. It's thin, fast, nice looking. Only downfall is the awful screen and the lack of 1080p - Otherwise could be good to look at.

I would love to have a Razer but they I cant find a UK supplier anywhere!:(

I would love to have a Razer but they I cant find a UK supplier anywhere! :(

I believe Razer has UK shipping from their site now? Not sure, when I tried to buy one they couldn't.

i7 4700HQ - Gigabyte HM87 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB - GTX 760M - Gigabyte P34G - 256GB mSATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Power Pack - 14" 1080p - Cooling Vents - Built in keyboard - Razer DeathAdder/Trackpad

I would love to have a Razer but they I cant find a UK supplier anywhere! :(

I believe Razer has UK shipping from their site now? Not sure, when I tried to buy one they couldn't.

There is a UK retailer for the Razerblade however. Its very hot when you have it constantly running. I was at a nvidia event to win a asus 780 but I didn't win, it was in a razer booth and I had hands on with the Razer blade personally its really not light to carry with one hand not I was testing the weight. It was running borderlands 2 and the heat wasn't insanely hot like 70 degrees it was arond 50 to 60 degrees I think however my hdd in my laptop gets around 55'degrees just running after too long :(

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

My experience with Dell has never been good.  I've had 3 Dell laptops over the years.  I only ever had to use the warranty for one of them, but it took the threat of a lawsuit in order to get Dell to honor the warranty.  I will never buy a Dell computer or recommend Dell mainly because of their customer service.

My friend was running one of the best Dell laptops at the time running for 5 years straight he recently got a laptop this year. This laptop was the one similar to his

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/06/dell-boils-hip-down-to-699-mike-ming-inspiron-1525-laptops/

My friend was running one of the best Dell laptops at the time running for 5 years straight he recently got a laptop this year. This laptop was the one similar to his

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/06/dell-boils-hip-down-to-699-mike-ming-inspiron-1525-laptops/

I Personally have never owned a dell, only heard bad things :P the Dell Xps is really selling to me. fits my criteria almost perfectly.. Shame that its not made by asus then I wouldnt even question the purchase :P

If its okay for me to assume you live in the UK that is great :D hi5

Erm.. have you checked out any stores like PC world or Curry's to see any laptops. If you find one that you like see if you can find a store with it instock and test the laptop (p.s. please don't drop test it)

If its okay for me to assume you live in the UK that is great :D hi5

Erm.. have you checked out any stores like PC world or Curry's to see any laptops. If you find one that you like see if you can find a store with it instock and test the laptop (p.s. please don't drop test it)

I do indeed :P Been in a few times but nothing really catches my eye :( the one local to me also doesn't seem to stock anything above £700 laptop related :P Im really sold on that Dell XPS! (WHYISITADELL) haven't found many reviews but none seem to say a bad word :/ 

I'm reviewing some of the laptops being displayed on this site http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/top-laptops-25-best-laptops-in-the-world-706673/4#articleContent, I'm checking specs and the reviews for some certain laptops :)

Sorry I haven't suggested anything quite yet. I've been hanging around other parts of the forum and I forgot your username so I could write anything down for optional laptops 

I think you really should buy the Dell XPS (Haswell version)