I have £500

Samwise1765

So at the minute i have exactly £500 that im willing to spend on a gaming pc, no more than £500. I want to play games like CSGO, H1Z1, Rust and other games of that sort. I dont want to get used parts just so i know there is less of a chance of the pc breaking. I also would maybe like it to be able to be good enough to stream games like World of Warcraft and CSGO on occasion. Keep in mind im not looking to play these games on max settings, i would much rather have solid fps. I already have OS and peripherals sorted so theres no need tonworry about them.

before everyone else says it; wait until ryzen comes out and see what the pricing is really like. IF they are close to the leaked numbers, you may just be able to get yourself an actually decent build on £500.

Pretty much everyone is holding their breath for ryzen atm, so lets hope that pulls through, or at the very least, upsets intel's crazy pricing somewhat. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

2 minutes ago, ixi_your_face said:

before everyone else says it; wait until ryzen comes out and see what the pricing is really like. IF they are close to the leaked numbers, you may just be able to get yourself an actually decent build on £500.

Pretty much everyone is holding their breath for ryzen atm, so lets hope that pulls through, or at the very least, upsets intel's crazy pricing somewhat. 

Is there a confirmed date for when ryzen is dropping? 

1 minute ago, ixi_your_face said:

Though I disagree whether it's worth it. Ryzen will not target builds this low-end. From the leaked pricing lists the cheapest CPUs will be 4C/4T and will be 100$+.

G4560 is an excellent choice within this budget:

1 minute ago, Samwise1765 said:

Is there a confirmed date for when ryzen is dropping? 

Around the end of this month/early March. But as I said above, it's not worth to wait in your case, this is what you should get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£58.80 @ Alza)
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£65.37 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£89.03 @ More Computers)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£39.47 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£42.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  (£144.26 @ More Computers)
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£29.39 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£44.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £514.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-14 11:16 GMT+0000

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Though I disagree whether it's worth it. Ryzen will not target builds this low-end. From the leaked pricing lists the cheapest CPUs will be 4C/4T and will be 100$+.

G4560 is an excellent choice within this budget:

Around the end of this month/early March. But as I said above, it's not worth to wait in your case, this is what you should get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£58.80 @ Alza)
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£65.37 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£89.03 @ More Computers)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£39.47 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£42.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  (£144.26 @ More Computers)
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£29.39 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£44.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £514.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-14 11:16 GMT+0000

Will the g4560 be good for a game like rust? And will this also be capable of streaming WoW and CSGO?

2 minutes ago, Samwise1765 said:

Will the g4560 be good for a game like rust? And will this also be capable of streaming WoW and CSGO?

Watch the video, it explains it best. It'll run Rust easily though with an RX 470.

I'm not sure if it's capable of streaming WoW and CS:GO in good-enough quality etc., it should though. But this is as good as it gets within your budget.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Watch the video, it explains it best. It'll run Rust easily though with an RX 470.

I'm not sure if it's capable of streaming WoW and CS:GO in good-enough quality etc., it should though. But this is as good as it gets within your budget.

So ryzen definitely wouldnt be worth waiting for then?

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Though I disagree whether it's worth it. Ryzen will not target builds this low-end. From the leaked pricing lists the cheapest CPUs will be 4C/4T and will be 100$+

I would definitely say it's worth the wait, considering that there's no point in buying an entire system with a dual core, then you find out in 3 weeks that you could have build a quad core w/ hyper-threadingish if you just waited. Evaluate first, purchase later.

Your build definetly could use some touch ups though;

For a start, i wouldn't bother with a hybrid storage solution on a budget build; keep it simple. a 1-3TB hdd would be better suited here, especially as one can be added in the future.

RAM - the only issue with RAM atm is that it's woefully overpriced. Not much you can do there other than sit in a corner and cry that you missed the window for cheap DIMMs

I'd still wait. You could easily squeeze in the 4c/4t ryzen chip and upgrade down the line with an ssd etc, etc. IMO you get more value for your money this way.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

4 minutes ago, ixi_your_face said:

I would definitely say it's worth the wait, considering that there's no point in buying an entire system with a dual core, then you find out in 3 weeks that you could have build a quad core w/ hyper-threadingish if you just waited. Evaluate first, purchase later.

For a start, i wouldn't bother with a hybrid storage solution on a budget build; keep it simple. a 1-3TB hdd would be better suited here, especially as one can be added in the future.

RAM - the only issue with RAM atm is that it's woefully overpriced. Not much you can do there other than sit in a corner and cry that you missed the window for cheap DIMMs

I'd still wait. You could easily squeeze in the 4c/4t ryzen chip and upgrade down the line with an ssd etc, etc. IMO you get more value for your money this way.

So i definitely should wait a couple extra weeks for ryzen to drop?

I would. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Samwise1765 said:

So i definitely should wait a couple extra weeks for ryzen to drop?

I would say so, yeah. Then reevaluate the situation.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Samwise1765 said:

So ryzen definitely wouldnt be worth waiting for then?

It is worth waiting for, but there won't be a such low-end CPU, from what I researched in the past few months, AMD is planning to use the current FX lineup with reduced prices to use as their low-end lineup for around a year after Ryzen launches until they release their own low-end line such as Athlons based on the Zen architecture.

7 minutes ago, ixi_your_face said:

Since SSD's are so cheap atm, a 120GB one as an OS drive wouldn't hurt and would speed up the PC very noticeably, I personally couldn't switch to a PC without SSD now cause I'd get brain cancer just from all the waiting, it's like a night-and-day difference to me...

As for Ryzen prices, have a look here:

The cheapest Ryzen CPU is going to supposedly cost 129$, the Pentium is over twice as cheap. See my point? He'd have to sacrifice the GPU budget to get it, not worth it within a 500 pounds one... Of course he could get only 8GBs of RAM, but getting 16 right away leaves him good within that area for a good couple of years, though I agree that it's too expensive atm.

10 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It is worth waiting for, but there won't be a such low-end CPU, from what I researched in the past few months, AMD is planning to use the current FX lineup with reduced prices to use as their low-end lineup for around a year after Ryzen launches until they release their own low-end line such as Athlons based on the Zen architecture.

Since SSD's are so cheap atm, a 120GB one as an OS drive wouldn't hurt and would speed up the PC very noticeably, I personally couldn't switch to a PC without SSD now cause I'd get brain cancer just from all the waiting, it's like a night-and-day difference to me...

As for Ryzen prices, have a look here:

The cheapest Ryzen CPU is going to supposedly cost 129$, the Pentium is over twice as cheap. See my point? He'd have to sacrifice the GPU budget to get it, not worth it within a 500 pounds one... Of course he could get only 8GBs of RAM, but getting 16 right away leaves him good within that area for a good couple of years, though I agree that it's too expensive atm.

The prices of ryzen itself doesn't matter as much as the price adjustments that would follow. As you said, 

AMD is planning to use the current FX lineup with reduced prices to use as their low-end lineup for around a year after Ryzen launches

Therefore, it would be a good thing to wait to see what those prices drop to. Maybe even intel will adjust their pricing accordingly.

On the SSD part; You might not want to use a PC without an SSD, but on budget builds luxuries are the first sacrifice. You need to look at the bigger picture; he'd be much better off getting a solid base and building on that than getting a weak base and piling on top of that. If you drop the SSD, and stick with a single mass storage HDD, you can add budget elsewhere where he would really feel it; such as CPU horsepower or GPU horsepower. Boot times are pretty insignificant if the PC itself can't hold a steady fps in games.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ixi_your_face said:

The prices of ryzen itself doesn't matter as much as the price adjustments that would follow. As you said, 

Therefor, it would be a good thing to wait to see what those prices drop to. Maybe even intel will adjust their pricing accordingly.

On the SSD part; You might not want to use a PC without an SSD, but on budget builds luxuries are the first sacrifice. You need to look at the bigger picture; he'd be much better off getting a solid base and building on that than getting a weak base and piling on top of that. If you drop the SSD, and stick with a single mass storage HDD, you can add budget elsewhere where he would really feel it; such as CPU horsepower or GPU horsepower. Boot times are pretty insignificant if the PC itself can't hold a steady fps in games.

Well, there's also a matter of whether he'll be able to upgrade anything later at all, there are a lot of teenage kids coming here for building tips and part lists, OP said he's got 500 pounds to spend, maybe that's all he got from his parents for a PC and he wants a complete all-around machine that'll last as long as possible without any upgrades, and if he does - the list I composed is the perfect match for him.

Though sure, if as you said he's got the option to upgrade slowly and add those parts over the course of time then sure, it's a good idea to ditch some stuff in favor of getting a faster CPU and add it later such as RAM, storage, a quieter cooler etc.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, there's also a matter of whether he'll be able to upgrade anything later at all, there are a lot of teenage kids coming here for building tips and part lists, OP said he's got 500 pounds to spend, maybe that's all he got from his parents for a PC and he wants a complete all-around machine that'll last as long as possible without any upgrades, and if he does - the list I composed is the perfect match for him.

Though sure, if as you said he's got the option to upgrade slowly and add those parts over the course of time then sure, it's a good idea to ditch some stuff in favor of getting a faster CPU and add it later such as RAM, storage, a quieter cooler etc.

which is exactly why i said have a solid base in the first place. If you spend money now on a dual core and build a system based on that, it'll be outdated by the end of next month.

Even if you are not able to upgrade over time (which i highly doubt) a solid base would be a better fit than some hastily cobbled together build that come the end of march will be worthless. Sure it may sacrifice boot times, but really? who actually cares about weather the PC takes 9 or 19 seconds to boot? why the rush? it's not going anywhere.

a better footing = a better experience, and leaves options open for future expansion.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler