UKUI the Windows 7 inspired Desktop environment

suicidalfranco

desktop.png

Who hasn't considered going Linux after the launch of Windows 10 only to find themselves confused and having to adapt to a new unknown desktop environment? no one.

Enters UKUI

ukui-ubuntu-kylin-desktop-750x469.jpg

UKUI, Ubuntu Kylin User Interface, was developed by the same team behind Ubuntu Kylin, the official Chinese-language derivative of Ubuntu. UKUI is itself a fork of the MATE desktop, who is fork of GNOME 2, redesigned to resemble to Windows 7, not calling them out, those are the words from the devs themselves

the desktop is designed to provide a ‘familiar Windows-style layout’ (based specifically on Windows 7) so as to ‘cater the needs of Chinese users and enhance the user experience’.

Unlike MATE, UKUI brings a new start menu (app launcher) positioned on the left side of a windows inspired task bar, the launcher is not a perfect clone of the the Windows counterpart, but try to mimic it as much as possible

kylin.jpg

The file manager, Peony, is a custom fork of Caja that wears a Windows theme

kylin-peony-file-manager-1-750x366.jpg

The desktop theme as all evokes the feeling of MS's latest release (available in many colours too). 

Combine Kylin app suite with WPS Office and you could fool most normies that they are in fact looking at Windows.

UKUI will become the default DE of Ubuntu Kylin 17.04, which is due for April 2017.

source: http://www.ukui.org

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

looks good but I think there are plenty of popular windows look-alike desktop environments already on Linux.

-KDE

-Cinammom

-Mate

anyway if this one is more polished I will give it a try. Currently I am using a distro called fedora 25 with the gnome 3 desktop. It's the first time a modern UI has impressed me. I didn't like windows 8 metro or Ubuntu with unity etc...

Do people go to linux and actively try to get a windows theme? madness. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

1 minute ago, alexyy said:

most people don't pick a windows theme.

but they also choose an overall traditional layout with start menu in bottom left etc..

they don't like stuff like windows 8 metro or Ubuntu's unity.

4 minutes ago, alexyy said:

the most downloaded theme for KDE is a windows XP theme, the second most downloaded is an OSX theme.

it's not about mindlessly chasing windows, it's about the possibility of being able to have the experience you want to have, and seeing these people are using linux, i guess there is something about windows that was lacking there :P

--

on topic: my very first reaction was "oh great, another one".

these "some other OS" inspired desktop enviroments usually end up being messy, not really well implemented, and not even a very good representation of the original. i'd almost dare to say this is more of a windows 8 UI clone than a windows 7 "inspired" theme.

9 minutes ago, alexyy said:

i think some just want to stick to something they are familiar with. i can see parents that come from a windows xp machine being easily brought over to something like this if they just use it as a facebook machine.

9 minutes ago, alexyy said:

It's not the first time someone thought they could attract users with a windows theme. My favourite was Lindows only because Microsoft paid them to stop using the name Lindows and the Lindows.com domain

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, tlink said:

i think some just want to stick to something they are familiar with. i can see parents that come from a windows xp machine being easily brought over to something like this if they just use it as a facebook machine.

Have a look at the YouTube channel os first timer. Some kid tortures his mum every week with a random operating system

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

i considered putting the KDE winXP theme on my grandpa's laptop actually, becaus it's quite literally the only operating system he ever used, but then i thought "wait, he never used his damn laptop because the amount of buttons confuse him"

result: a super skinned down KDE with literally a clock, and 3 buttons: "email" "internet" "power off", because that's all he needs. and they are actually capable of using their own darn laptop now...

I do have Linux installed on both my PCs, but don't use it a lot.

I don't really care so much if the UI looks or acts like Windows, though.

What I really want is to be able to natively run WIndows programs on Linux, just as easily as they run under Windows.  Wine, last I checked, isn't good / completely compatible enough, and/or has a performance penalty.

Unity with Arc theme is much better than this IMO.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

The Chinese could be doing so much more for free software.

A 'National University of Defense Technology' should be contributing to things like finally landing TPM 2.0 support, not making another GNOME 2 fork.

6 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

It's not the first time someone thought they could attract users with a windows theme. My favourite was Lindows only because Microsoft paid them to stop using the name Lindows and the Lindows.com domain

Richard Stallman pointed out that the amount of proprietary software they used basically poops all over the point of GNU/Linux.

Nobody liked Lindows/Freespire/Linspire.

yeah but its still linux and as a desktop os....it sucks

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I dont think anyone really cares, the real GNU/linux problem is not the UI, or the goddamn "new" wallpapers every other new distro has. 

Those are ugly.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Richard Stallman pointed out that the amount of proprietary software they used basically poops all over the point of GNU/Linux.

Nobody liked Lindows/Freespire/Linspire.

i think its awrsome how microsoft paid them to stop using the name Lindows. Turns out MS may not be able to trade mark Windows. Theres 26 letters in the alphabet. L and W have been taken. I just need to use the remaining 24 letters to make variations of Windows and I can profit $$$$$

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_