Vacuum PC

RadioactiveDwarf
Go to solution Solved by Bsmith,
53 minutes ago, RadioactiveDwarf said:

Recently I have been thinking of the implications of housing a computer inside a vacuum. What are your thoughts on this? Would it even work because of the liquid inside of the cooling pipes or would it even need to be cooled?

won't work at all, since a computer needs to be able to get rid of the heat that it produces and a vacuum won't allow for heat transfer.
even if you allow the heat generating parts to have contact with air outside of the vacuum, the amount of material you need makes it not very efficient, it would decrease cooling performance, which raises the temperature, which is already a problem for some modern electronics.

Recently I have been thinking of the implications of housing a computer inside a vacuum. What are your thoughts on this? Would it even work because of the liquid inside of the cooling pipes or would it even need to be cooled?

well computers rely on their heat to be extracted by the atmosphere, even small components, so theoretically, those would increase in temp and overheat without anywhere to go. 

assuming stuff is liquid cooled, you still need the liquid to be cooled off by a radiator, thus air. 

I mean it would be really loud pumping out air constantly. interesting though. 

Complete and utter failure... (in theory, AFAIK its never been tested)

No air to cool anything

No air resistance so any fans would burn out

Components on the motherboard would swell or blow out entirely

Mechanical drives would fail

Basically a shit show.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What if you filled a computer with helium instead as it has less resistance than nitrogen. Would this speed up fan speeds and also hard drive speeds?

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveDwarf said:

What if you filled a computer with helium instead as it has less resistance than nitrogen. Would this speed up fan speeds and also hard drive speeds?

A hard drive rated at 7200rpm would/should never go higher than it

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

A hard drive rated at 7200rpm would/should never go higher than it

I guess so

1 minute ago, RadioactiveDwarf said:

I guess so

That makes me think can you overclock a hdd?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Sounds interesting. BarraCuda have helium filled hard drives so that the individual disks can be closer together and to my understanding so that it can go faster. 

5 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Unless you want to change out the firmware and basically every other component on the HDD yourself for the components that a faster one has... no you can't.

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

Unless you want to change out the firmware and basically every other component on the HDD yourself for the components that a faster one has... no you can't.

Yeah, but I still think that the concept is interesting.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveDwarf said:

Yeah, but I still think that the concept is interesting.

Now that I think about it more, I guess if you modified the firmware somehow, you might be able to get the RPM higher by a bit. Although, that might screw up other processes running in the firmware.

53 minutes ago, RadioactiveDwarf said:

won't work at all, since a computer needs to be able to get rid of the heat that it produces and a vacuum won't allow for heat transfer.
even if you allow the heat generating parts to have contact with air outside of the vacuum, the amount of material you need makes it not very efficient, it would decrease cooling performance, which raises the temperature, which is already a problem for some modern electronics.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Not likely, the read head is only so sensitive.  A magnetic bit that whooshes by too quick wont get picked up.  

Yall need to stop puttin' things where they just do not go! 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

A vacuum would definitely not work! Perhaps if you did it the other way around and put the PC in a pressure chamber that has some kind of air circulation in it then it may improve cooling performance. However mechanical hard drives might not survive that.