AMD confirms "Early March Launch" for Ryzen, and announces "twice as much L2 cache compared to Intel 6th gen.

DozerKitty

This is probably another AMD troll, "twice as much L2 cache but that's because we merged L2 and L3 together!!11!" or something like that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just checked their Facebook and can't find the acclaimed post.. :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Just checker their Facebook and can't find the acclaimed post.. :P 

It's linked in OP. I find it without issues going through their page manually. 

2 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Please dont crush my hopes

I won't, AMD might though, so watch out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, DozerKitty said:

It's linked in OP. I find it without issues going through their page manually. 

Most recent showing for me is from 12 hours ago with a Ryzen background image, odd.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Most recent showing for me is from 12 hours ago with a Ryzen background image, odd.

Screengrab from their FB page.

amd.png

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

think it's pretty much known that Ryzen has a early March release 

It's all been speculation up until this point. Nothing has been confirmed before now.

1 minute ago, DozerKitty said:

Screengrab from their FB page.

Ah, Facebook is s**t and seems to only let me view the /AMDUK page, even if i put just /AMD in the address bar it'll redirect me ;-; 

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is probably another AMD troll, "twice as much L2 cache but that's because we merged L2 and L3 together!!11!" or something like that.

It's actually been known for some time that there is double the L2 cache per core in the Zen architecture than Intel, not that this alone means anything at all. #marketing lol

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Ah, Facebook is s**t and seems to only let me view the /AMDUK page, even if i put just /AMD in the address bar it'll redirect me ;-; 

I hate it when they force some geo-restriction bullcrap :( I feel for you man! *cuddles*

1 minute ago, Rune said:

If it brings down Intel's prices by 15-20%, I'll be happy.

It might not. From what we saw on WAN last Friday, Intel will most likely ship out a new subset of skews with higher frequency, and maybe drop the prices a bit. But even with that, AMD is putting a brutal price tag on their new lineup. They need people to buy their CPU's, and they need it bad.

Well great, few more weeks!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, DozerKitty said:

It might not. From what we saw on WAN last Friday, Intel will most likely ship out a new subset of skews with higher frequency, and maybe drop the prices a bit. But even with that, AMD is putting a brutal price tag on their new lineup. They need people to buy their CPU's, and they need it bad.

Chances are they won't put a "brutal price tag" on their processors.

AMD is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They don't want to be "the cheap solution" anymore. So from that statement we can assume that the price:performance will be similar to what Intel has. If Intel gives you X performance for 500 dollars, then AMD's product that gives you X performance will cost about 500 dollars, if AMD's statement is to be followed.

But then they won't gain any marketshare. Intel has a much stronger brand so AMD has to be better to fight back.

On the other hand, AMD needs money and they need it badly. They are much more desperate than Intel. AMD can't afford to sell processors with next to no margins because that will make them go bankrupt. Intel on the other hand could probably sell CPUs at a loss for quite some time, and that would really kill AMD. Intel can ruin AMD whenever they want, so AMD can't punch back so hard that Intel starts fighting back. But if AMD doesn't fight back hard, what does all the AMD fans get from being loyal and have waited this long? The hype is beyond ridiculous at this point. People think their 400 dollar CPU will beat Intel's 1000 dollar CPU for crying out loud. They have to give their fans something or else they will look like assholes... again.

I really don't see how AMD can win at this point. Even IF (and that's a huge if) Zen is good, AMD is in a situation where no matter how they price it, they will be in a bad situation.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

They don't want to be "the cheap solution" anymore. So from that statement we can assume that the price:performance will be similar to what Intel has. If Intel gives you X performance for 500 dollars, then AMD's product that gives you X performance will cost about 500 dollars, if AMD's statement is to be followed.

Completely agree, price should always reflect performance. If something seems cheap it gives the natural impression that it is inferior which would cause all kinds of confusion then people will just give up and buy the Intel processor.

It doesn't even make any business sense to undercut by large amounts either.

Can someone explain to me in layman / debby downy terms what: "twice as much L2 cache" means?

Better for gaming?

1 minute ago, BaalRunz said:

Can someone explain to me in layman / debby downy terms what: "twice as much L2 cache" means?

Better for gaming?

It means literally nothing as there is no context, until the processor launches all these leaks are pointless

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I really don't see how AMD can win at this point. Even IF (and that's a huge if) Zen is good, AMD is in a situation where no matter how they price it, they will be in a bad situation.

AMD had escapes and options 4 years ago.  Ryzen coming in 2017 is like throwing a fire extinguisher on an oil rig fire.  Intel can take a "see you in hell" approach and sell chips at any price point to destroy AMD.  Look at how much contra revenue was happening with the mobile parts a couple years ago and it didn't even dent Intel.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Completely agree, price should always reflect performance. If something seems cheap it gives the natural impression that it is inferior which would cause all kinds of confusion then people will just give up and buy the Intel processor.

It doesn't even make any business sense to undercut by large amounts either.

Can't say I agree with that assessment of pricing...  Pricing is a bit more complicated than trying to match someone else price/performance.  It should involve other factors such as manufacturing costs and abilities, expected bottom lines and anticipated profits.  Not saying this is the case, but if AMD can produce a 6900k scale processor for half of the price of Intel at a larger scale, then they can decrease the individual profit on each chip to get a larger collective profit from a higher sales volume.