Encrypted Hard Drive

JoaoPRSousa

Hey guys

I have this external hard drive, and a few years ago it got a virus that made all the folders shortcuts. I knew a guy that said he could fix it, all we had to do was encrypt it with BitLocker. We tried to encrypt it, but the encryption failed at 5x%.

Then, everytime I plugged it to my PC, it would either give an error instantly or open a BitLocker window that said "Encryption in progress, 5x%". And after a few seconds it would close and give the same error.

Yesterday, I plugged the hard drive into a friend's computer, and after a while I couldn't access the hard drive. Turns out it had finished the encryption, somehow.

So, now, everytime I plugged it to my computer it asks for an encryption key, which I do not know of.

Question is, is there anyway to bypass that or something like it?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Well. Shit. I think all I can do is format the drive. No way to recover the data without the key. Fuck my life. Rip 700GB of photos

Edited by JoaoPRSousa

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Without the password or recovery key the data is gone, reformat the disk to reuse it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

1 minute ago, Altecice said:

Without the password or recovery key the data is gone, reformat the disk to reuse it.

Yeah. Seems like that's all I can do... Fuck.

can you use a bootable usb containing a utility to visit the partition? you might be able to recover the data locked in the hard drive.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

can you use a bootable usb containing a utility to visit the partition? you might be able to recover the data locked in the hard drive.

Enlighten me please.

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Enlighten me please.

there is a program that is a partition manager (forgot the exact name of it since its on my other pc) and you convert the iso to a bootable usb using rufus, then boot to the usb, and it should be a working program. from there, you can move partitions, you can resize them, you can delete them, hell i think you can even recover data from deleted partitions. but idk what all the features are since i only used the program to mark one of my primary partitions active.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

there is a program that is a partition manager (forgot the exact name of it since its on my other pc) and you convert the iso to a bootable usb using rufus, then boot to the usb, and it should be a working program. from there, you can move partitions, you can resize them, you can delete them, hell i think you can even recover data from deleted partitions. but idk what all the features are since i only used the program to mark one of my primary partitions active.

Well, all the data is encrypted. And I suppose that so is the partition. I'll try that tomorrow tho... :(

5 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Well, all the data is encrypted. And I suppose that so is the partition. I'll try that tomorrow tho... :(

idk, since you run this program separate from windows, maybe you might be able to bypass the encryption. but idk i haven't tried the program with encrypted drives.

7 minutes ago, terrytek said:

idk, since you run this program separate from windows, maybe you might be able to bypass the encryption. but idk i haven't tried the program with encrypted drives.

Fuck.

Somebody please help me. I really really need to recover some of the files I had in the drive... :(

I found something on the MEMORY.DMP file with a disk decryption tool.

BitLocker Volume Master Key
Key data (hex): 8dbe296d5ce0f6c972a160a099a68b473ab9ffe9a9a250bd85cebf5fdfd8fef0

The thing is, this key has 64 characters and the keys BitLocker uses, if I'm not mistaken, have 48 characters. 6 groups of 8...

Please... :(

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Fuck.

Somebody please help me. I really really need to recover some of the files I had in the drive... :(

I found something on the MEMORY.DMP file with a disk decryption tool.

BitLocker Volume Master Key
Key data (hex): 8dbe296d5ce0f6c972a160a099a68b473ab9ffe9a9a250bd85cebf5fdfd8fef0

The thing is, this key has 64 characters and the keys BitLocker uses, if I'm not mistaken, have 48 characters. 6 groups of 8...

Please... :(

umm did u set up bitlocker on on windows 8+ with a microsoft account? if so, you might be able to find the recovery key in your account, according to microsoft support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/566e0e4e-4ca7-4df2-88fb-aa71c00ea55e/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

umm did u set up bitlocker on on windows 8+ with a microsoft account? if so, you might be able to find the recovery key in your account, according to microsoft support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/566e0e4e-4ca7-4df2-88fb-aa71c00ea55e/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

I think, when we did that, we did it on a Windows 7 computer... Not sure tho.

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I think, when we did that, we did it on a Windows 7 computer... Not sure tho.

well then that won't work. maybe try my method. download minitool partition wizard, use the iso, and "burn" it to a usb using rufus to turn it into a bootable usb, then just boot to the usb. don't worry, it has a GUI in case you can't navigate using commands.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well then that won't work. maybe try my method. download minitool partition wizard, use the iso, and "burn" it to a usb using rufus to turn it into a bootable usb, then just boot to the usb. don't worry, it has a GUI in case you can't navigate using commands.

I will. Thanks.

That volume ID is useless. I will say it again, you cannot recover your data without the pre-shared key (password). Its like if I converted "hello" to "3455hb453" there is no way you will ever guess the original if I did not tell you the rules on how to get it back. That is encrption for you. Thats why we use it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

12 hours ago, Altecice said:

That volume ID is useless. I will say it again, you cannot recover your data without the pre-shared key (password). Its like if I converted "hello" to "3455hb453" there is no way you will ever guess the original if I did not tell you the rules on how to get it back. That is encrption for you. Thats why we use it.

Actually, when we encrypted the drive, we were using Windows 8, so maybe, the key is in my brother's account. Dunno, since it's an old account, I need to wait a few weeks to access it... We'll see. I really hope it's there.