Nikon D750 popping audio sound

I have been using my older Nikon D5200 for video for the past while, as I know how to use it well, and I know it works.   So two weeks ago I was filming an event with my D750, and I reviewed the audio afterward and it was complete trash.  Popping, weird clipping, all sorts of things highly undesirable in an audio file.  The audio was unusable.  I was using my trusty Rode VideoMic Pro, and I had ensured that the mic cable wasn't touching the camera.  I also was using manual focus, so the focus motor wasn't the problem.  I had just changed the battery in the VideoMic.   

Now I want to get to the bottom of this, so I just tested both; D5200 with mic-fine, D5200 with onboard mic-fine, D750 with mic-gross audio, and D750 with onboard mic-fine.

I always set the pre-amp on the camera to around 5-10, and use the boost on the VideoMic or when I am editing to get an acceptable volume.

What am I doing wrong, or what setting must I change?

sold

3 hours ago, Equilibrium_FOOL said:

Sample audio file?  You made sure the mic was plugged in properly I guess.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

5 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Sample audio file?  You made sure the mic was plugged in properly I guess.

My internet is too poor to download anything, let alone upload anything.  I will try later this week.  Do you have any other ideas?  I did make sure everything was connected properly.

sold

7 hours ago, Equilibrium_FOOL said:

My internet is too poor to download anything, let alone upload anything.  I will try later this week.  Do you have any other ideas?  I did make sure everything was connected properly.

Record something as you'd normally do, a 30 second MP3 file shouldn't be that big to upload.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins