4pin fan splitter...3 pin SYS FAN header + 3 pin fan work?

i_build_nanosuits
Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,
3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's not a pwm fan that i want to connect...i need to plug two 3-pin case fans in the same SYS_FAN header...and i'm wondering if this 4 pin fan splitter will work...i think it would but i need to be sure before i order them....

Yes it will. To explain it better -

a 3 pin fan is going to have a ground pin, a 12v pin, and a sensor pin. A 4 pin PWM (pulse width modulation) fan will have the same 3 pins plus a 4th control pin. This means that a 3 pin fan can still be plugged into a 4 pin socket, and vice versa. Control will then have to be through voltage regulation, changing the amount of volts that is actually being sent to the fan rather than changing the pulses sent through the control pin

Quick question guys...i need to be sure...
this is a 4pin fan splitter...will it work and give me speed control if i use it on a 3 pin SYS FAN header with a 3 pin fan?
http://www.ncix.com/detail/silverstone-cpf01-100mm-pwm-fan-39-79525.htm

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yes. 4 Pin fans add in a 4th PWM pin that allows for better speed adjustments. 3 pin fans will work as long as you have voltage regulation enabled in BIOS. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Quick question guys...i need to be sure...
this is a 4pin fan splitter...will it work and give me speed control if i use it on a 3 pin SYS FAN header with a 3 pin fan?
http://www.ncix.com/detail/silverstone-cpf01-100mm-pwm-fan-39-79525.htm

Don't think so. I've also never seen a PWM fan with only 3 pins. I'm pretty sure you need both a 4 pin FAN header and a 4 pin fan. If I'm wrong, someone else will correct me.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Don't think so. I've also never seen a PWM fan with only 3 pins. I'm pretty sure you need both a 4 pin FAN header and a 4 pin fan. If I'm wrong, someone else will correct me.

it's not a pwm fan that i want to connect...i need to plug two 3-pin case fans in the same SYS_FAN header...and i'm wondering if this 4 pin fan splitter will work...i think it would but i need to be sure before i order them....

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It will work, I just don't know if you will get speed control.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

a 3 pin fan is going to have a ground pin, a 12v pin, and a sensor pin. A 4 pin PWM (pulse width modulation) fan will have the same 3 pins plus a 4th control pin. This means that a 3 pin fan can still be plugged into a 4 pin socket, and vice versa. Control will then have to be through voltage regulation, changing the amount of volts that is actually being sent to the fan rather than changing the pulses sent through the control pin

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

a 3 pin fan is going to have a ground pin, a 12v pin, and a sensor pin. A 4 pin PWM (pulse width modulation) fan will have the same 3 pins plus a 4 control pin. This means that a 3 pin fan can still be plugged into a 4 pin socket, and vice versa. Control will then have to be through voltage regulation, changing the amount of volts that is actually being sent to the fan rather than changing the pulses sent through the control pin

yeah that's what i tought...
i tried plugging the 3 pin fan in a CPU_FAN 4pin header and it spin but at full speed and i can't control it...i can only control the ones i plug in SYS_FAN headers but there are only 3 of these on the board...so i need splitters...i tried to find a setting on this MSI Z170 gaming board that would allow me to control the CPU_FAN header by voltage instead of PWM but it's nowhere to be found unfortunately so i can't use 3pin fan on CPU_FAN headers cause i can't have them running full speed you know, it's too loud.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah that's what i tought...
i tried plugging the 3 pin fan in a CPU_FAN 4pin header and it spin but at full speed and i can't control it...i can only control the ones i plus in SYS_FAN headers but there are only 3 of these on the board...so i need splitters...i tried to find a setting on this MSI Z170 gaming board that would allow me to control the CPU_FAN header by voltage instead of PWM but it's nowhere to be found unfortunately so i can't use 3pin fan on CPU_FAN headers cause i can't have them running full speed you know, it's too loud.

Well what you need to do is change the functionality of the fan headers in BIOS. By default, 4pin fans are set on PWM control. If you connect a 3 pin fan to a 4 pin header, you would need to change the functionality of the header to be voltage control. This isnt supported on all motherboards though. If it isnt, you would need to buy a fan controller. 

What is your motherboard model? Check the documentation, it may explain how to enable voltage control. 

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Well what you need to do is change the functionality of the fan headers in BIOS. By default, 4pin fans are set on PWM control. If you connect a 3 pin fan to a 4 pin header, you would need to change the functionality of the header to be voltage control. This isnt supported on all motherboards though. If it isnt, you would need to buy a fan controller. 

What is your motherboard model? Check the documentation, it may explain how to enable voltage control. 

it's the MSI Z170 Gaming M7...i looked for the setting in the BIOS but wasn't able to find it...so i don't know :(

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's the MSI Z170 Gaming M7...i looked for the setting in the BIOS but wasn't able to find it...so i don't know :(

Go to bios > hardware monitor and check for the setting there. If you look in the manual, it is page 42.

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Go to bios > hardware monitor and check for the setting there. If you look in the manual, it is page 42.

yeah...

Here is what the user manual say:

Capture.png

So i think there is no way to control the CPU_FAN headers in voltage control mode...there is nothing in the hadrware monitor either...only ''smart fan'' toggle on or off...

So what i'll do is that i'll order the fan splitters and hook all the fans to the SYS_FAN headers of the motherboard...that way i'll be able to control all of them? right?

7 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

So what i'll do is that i'll order the fan splitters and hook all the fans to the SYS_FAN headers of the motherboard...that way i'll be able to control all of them? right?

That'd be fine but Msi boards often only allow down to 50% speed on sys_fan headers. Test with one fan to see if that's enough control for you.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That'd be fine but Msi boards often only allow down to 50% speed on sys_fan headers. Test with one fan to see if that's enough control for you.

yes i have control of the other fans that are plugged into SYS FAN headers and i can control them all the way down to 0%...i can make them stop spinning if i want to :)

...i order fan splitters so i'll hook all the fans into SYS FAN headers and then i'll configure them and it'll be good to go!

thanks for your help guys, always apreciated!