Outside case fan? Gigabyte fan header?

krayiss

Hello recently I got some awesome answers for my cooling question in another thread AF120 vs sp120 Node 202

Case: Node 202

Motherboard: Gigabyte z170n gaming 5

I7-7700k @4.7 GHz, gaming goes above 90C

GTX 1080 evga ftw dt

CPU Heatsink: Silverstone AR06 1200-2500 RPM PWM 7V-12V

Case Fans: Corsair ML120 x3 (2 GPU intake, 1 outside case CPU intake) 400-2400 RPM PWM ?V

I am unable to set system fan header/case fans to follow CPU temps. Also Speedfan did not detect fans.

So I already put x2 ML120 fans on GPU intake and am putting 3rd outside the case on CPU intake.

Question: Should I;

A. Connect x3 ML120 to CPU fan header, AR06 to system fan header? (already own a 3 fan splitter)

B. Connect AR06 to CPU Fan header, x3 ML120 to system fan header?

C. Connect all 4 fans with a splitter to the CPU fan header? (At 7V the AR06 runs at 1200 RPM, at 12V it runs at 2500 rpm. Not sure what the ML120 would run at from 7-12V with its 400-2400 RPM range.)

Would A. achieve the best CPU temps by setting CPU fan header (x3 ML120 to 100% RPM at 90C, while system fan header (AR06 set to 50% RPM)

or B. AR06 at 100% RPM and x3ML120 at 50%?

Also would C. even work?

Thanks for any guesses to which would be best : ))))

ybmJxz2l.pngbTeIJ43m.jpg

Gigabyte's recent motherboards have been using a newer fan controller that SpeedFan doesn't support as of the latest version.

Download their APP Center and try using their SIV fan control software instead. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

39 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Gigabyte's recent motherboards have been using a newer fan controller that SpeedFan doesn't support as of the latest version.

Download their APP Center and try using their SIV fan control software instead. 

Thanks for the reply! The SIV fan control works for my CPU temp control.

But for my system fan header the MB has a 2nd system temperature sensor. And my system temp idles 40C and when gaming the system temp only goes up 2-5C after 10 or so minutes.

Guess I am going to have to try each, and if A, B are not enough,  You think a 4way fan connector and connect all 4 fans, x3 ML120 and AR06 fan to CPU header will work? Or will different fans and RPMs mess up the PWM control?

1 minute ago, krayiss said:

Guess I am going to have to try each, and if A, B are not enough,  You think a 4way fan connector and connect all 4 fans, x3 ML120 and AR06 fan to CPU header will work? Or will different fans and RPMs mess up the PWM control?

A single splitter will be fine. The signal from the header is a percentage and not any specific rpm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

21 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

A single splitter will be fine. The signal from the header is a percentage and not any specific rpm.

Alright so it would not matter which fan I connected to the 1st fan splitter. The ar06 fan 1200-2500 rpm, or one of the ML120, 400-2400 RPMs?

50% would give me ar06 1850rpm and ML120 1400rpm?

Thanks again!

37 minutes ago, krayiss said:

Alright so it would not matter which fan I connected to the 1st fan splitter. The ar06 fan 1200-2500 rpm, or one of the ML120, 400-2400 RPMs?

50% would give me ar06 1850rpm and ML120 1400rpm?

Thanks again!

Yes, that's correct.