RGB...OK to Leave On?

Should you leave your RBG on all the time?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should you leave your RBG on all the time?

• A peacock's gotta fly (ON)
    • Satan was my only friend in high school (OFF)

I have really been getting into the rgb lighting with my set up. I've got the corsair strafe rgb, I've got the corsair rgb mouse pad, I've got 2 mice bc the lg one that I love is only once color at a time and the Razer mamba looks awesome but has a less appealing hand feel <insert joke here>.  On top of that I've got the whole rgb light strip on the back of my desk giving me tons more color. My tower is a Dell XPS 8700 so it's plain, but I think it kicks tons of ass so i'm good for now. Anyway, the point of all this was to ask if it's ok to leave them on. I generally leave my pc on all the time, I shut the monitors off at night, but for the most part I fall asleep with one corner of my room looking like a magic skittles factory. I know that LED's last for a long time, but should am I looking like having to replace stuff in 5 years or more like 1. I mean I love my rainbow rig being on and looking like an episode of sailor moon, but I want it to last.

So....what's the verdict? I'm sure there's going to be a bunch of back and forth, and I look forward to reading it. Thanks to everyone

image1.JPG

People like you are the reason why in a year anyone looking for hardware that doesnt have LED's on it is going to have to settle for green and brown PCB's and walmart keyboards.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

it's totally fine. no worries M8.

AFAIK it will take quite a long time for RGB products to die, maybe like 5-10 years if you leave them on all the time

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

People like you are the reason why in a year anyone looking for hardware that doesnt have LED's on it is going to have to settle for green and brown PCB's and walmart keyboards.

I never understood the hate RGB gets.

it lets you decide what color you want your build to be, and if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

rainbow skittle builds are stupid IMO as they don't have a theme, but something like an ASUS ROG Motherboard can look good with RGB, or look good with the RGB disabled, so someone looking for hardware that doesn't have LEDs on it might just have to buy some RGB hardware and turn off the LEDs, which wouldn't make very much difference.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Should be able to last you a full 5 years , mine is still working since 2014 .  I wonder how you sleep though , even my mouse RGB light annoys me when I'm trying to sleep at night . Just wanna point out that your wallpaper is ugly af because of the black border , sorry .

average LED life span is around 50k hours 50,000/24= 2,083/365= 5.7 years...i'm pretty sure youll need a new one by the time they burn out due to continuous use..

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I never understood the hate RGB gets.

it lets you decide what color you want your build to be, and if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

rainbow skittle builds are stupid IMO as they don't have a theme, but something like an ASUS ROG Motherboard can look good with RGB, or look good with the RGB disabled, so someone looking for hardware that doesn't have LEDs on it might just have to buy some RGB hardware and turn off the LEDs, which wouldn't make very much difference.

I was referring more to stupid things that shouldnt be RGB because it would be stupid for them to be RGB like a mousepad.

2 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

I was referring more to stupid things that shouldnt be RGB because it would be stupid for them to be RGB like a mousepad.

What's wrong with a RGB mousepad ? I like knowing where my mouse should be in . 

i feel the need to paste this in again:

there's 3 ways of doing RGB:

- there's tasteful

- there's attentiongrabbing

- then.. there's this...

--

also, the leds arent gonna die notably fast, there's plenty of hours in an LED to essentially not care.

however, i suggest for the sake of sleeping well, you tone down the brightness of your magic skittles.

that said, since you seem to have your own rainbow factory available, maybe use it to project some softer colors into the room towards the evening, it may be really good for falling asleep :P

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

Fair enough, (although you did mention brown PCBs & Walmart keyboards.)

but again, it's not like RGB mousepads are replacing the ones we already have. they're simply an additional feature at an additional price. if your don't care for RGB, then RGB mousepads, CPU coolers, Cases, Headphones, etc. don't change your purchasing choices at all.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, Jiaweeeee said:

my mouse is where it belongs: my desk.

and if you'd spend as much money on your desk as you would on your mousepad, you wouldnt need to worry about your mouse wearing out said desk :P

7 minutes ago, Jiaweeeee said:

So do I and I know where my mouse should be by knowing where my mouse should be.

RGB Hypno-toad build. That'd be pretty sweet.

LEDs will essentially last forever in the right conditions. Like, literally. There isn't much to fail. They sort of fail in the sense that they won't perform to the original specification, but the LEDs never really stop working.

The most you might notice is a gradual reduction in the vibrance of them, but even that process will be so gradual that you likely wouldn't notice unless put next to a brand new unit.

Yeah the border is screwed up bc of the border, usually I leave a MGS5 theme up but I was looking at different options and this was one up while I was taking the picture. And I have a theme, annoy my wife with all the flashing colors. As for the mousepad it is one of my favorite purchases ever. I wouldn't have paid as much if it weren't rgb of course but I still would have bought it. I've never used a hard mouse pad before and I was blown away by how much I like using it. Having the usb pass thru is great too. Sure you could say it was a waste of money but if you're like that I'm surprised you are a part this community considering every other video is something over the top. That's why I like Linus, he doesn't care what people think as long as he thinks it's cool then he has a reason to do it. But to everyone of  you I sincerely thank you for responding.  Now....to crank up the brightness and see if I can wake up the snoring wife....

you can leave them turned on for years, no reason why any of the LEDs should die.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz