I've had enough of the stock cooler, time to upgrade

Lord Nicoll

Well now chums. I have an i5 3570K CPU with an Intel Skylake issued stocked cooler on it, and it runs hotter than I'd like it to and so loud, it has a slight imbalance and wobbles, making a sound similar to a meaty motorcycle idling outside. 

The problem is.... This PC is rather slap dash and cheaply up together. Like really cheap, see attached photos. So, I know the Evo 212 would be perfect, but there aren't that many around me, and I wanna keep this cheap so preferably under €10. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm temped to just change the fan out for one that actually works but I don't have any fans that size, and the mounting feet are on it so it'd be annoying. 

16734935_1428526817165901_1710685059_o.png

16732130_1428532987165284_368182641_o.jpg

Edited by Lord Nicoll
forgot photos.

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well now chums. I have an i5 3570K CPU with an Intel Skylake issued stocked cooler on it, and it runs hotter than I'd like it to and so loud, it has a slight imbalance and wobbles, making a sound similar to a meaty motorcycle idling outside. 

The problem is.... This PC is rather slap dash and cheaply up together. Like really cheap, see attached photos. So, I know the Evo 212 would be perfect, but there aren't that many around me, and I wanna keep this cheap so preferably under €10. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm temped to just change the fan out for one that actually works but I don't have any fans that size, and the mounting feet are on it so it'd be annoying. 

Delid? Real cheap depending how you go about it.  It will also impact temps more than any cheap cooler will.  Just an idea.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Delid? Real cheap depending how you go about it.  It will also impact temps more than any cheap cooler will.  Just an idea.

Already done. I swapped the TIM because I didn't think it should be running at 80°C but even after that it still ran that hot (although it took 10 minutes longer)

Yours faithfully

What did you use to cover the die with?  CLU?

I replaced the TIM with some random nanodiamond claiming stuff and the IHS, I use it on all my GPU's and they're all running great so it's not bad compound. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

When you said cheaply built, I wasn't expecting that cheaply. O.o

Yes, it's a BOINC machine and to keep costs down, I literally used faulty parts I had lying around. Well only the motherboard is faulty, the PSU is though, a 13 year old Dell OEM unit, it's rated for 350 watts lol.

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I replaced the TIM with some random nanodiamond claiming stuff and the IHS, I use it on all my GPU's and they're all running great so it's not bad compound. 

I can't recommend this stuff enough.  Not only does it move heat a lot faster, but it deals with the peaks that bring on instability a lot better.  Just a tad harder to apply, but it makes a big difference in max temps.  You can use it between the IHS and block/cooler, but the biggest gain is between the die and IHS.

http://www.coollaboratory.com/product/coollaboratory-liquid-ultra/

I can't recommend this stuff enough.  Not only does it move heat a lot faster, but it deals with the peaks that bring on instability a lot better.  Just a tad harder to apply, but it makes a big difference in max temps.  You can use it between the IHS and block/cooler, but the biggest gain is between the die and IHS.

http://www.coollaboratory.com/product/coollaboratory-liquid-ultra/

I believe that has a lot of Gallium, and while I got an A on chemistry higher level, I do think Gallium does very nasty things to Aluminium, like the heatsink. As much as I like breaking them, turning it into amalgam isn't so productive when it keeps it cool. I usually have a tube of it though, I think I have it to my friend though. If I really wanted to keep the IHS on well I'd solder it with Indium, gold, titanium and the vanadium/nickel alloy Intel used to use.

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I believe that has a lot of Gallium, and while I got an A on chemistry higher level, I do think Gallium does very nasty things to Aluminium, like the heatsink. As much as I like breaking them, turning it into amalgam isn't so productive when it keeps it cool. I usually have a tube of it though, I think I have it to my friend though. If I really wanted to keep the IHS on well I'd solder it with Indium, gold, titanium and the vanadium/nickel alloy Intel used to use.

It definitely does have Gallium and will definitely turn aluminum in a slushy.  xD

Well, sounds like you've got this cooling thing under control then.  Good luck.

It definitely does have Gallium and will definitely turn aluminum in a slushy.  xD

Well, sounds like you've got this cooling thing under control then.  Good luck.

80°C isn't under control, that's called "I hope this shit doesn't get any hotter". I wonder could I out linus linus with some kinda homemade shit....... Oh, hmm, I'm pretty sure I have a pentium 4 cooler somewhere with heat pipes and a tower style..... but no fan fuck. 

Yours faithfully

The cryorig h7 would be better than the evo 212 at almost the same price, however, the cryorig m9 is at around the same performance as the evo (cooler than 1-2C afaik, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/M9i/6.html) at only $20. You may want to change the tim though, the gelid gc extreme would be perfect since it's the second best non-liquid metal tim on the market for a low price (in my country it only costs $4 for 1g).

2 minutes ago, Mirdon said:

The cryorig h7 would be better than the evo 212 at almost the same price, however, the cryorig m9 is at around the same performance as the evo (cooler than 1-2C afaik, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/M9i/6.html) at only $20. You may want to change the tim though, the gelid gc extreme would be perfect since it's the second best non-liquid metal tim on the market for a low price (in my country it only costs $4 for 1g).

I have buckets of TIM's I build a lot of PC's and do a lot of upgrades, shame I threw out or sold all the probably better coolers, I never thought I'd need one. $20 is a lot, and actually getting it would cost over €30,

Yours faithfully

you need to find anything at all that will keep it alive but more importantly change that PSU a crappy power supply will blow your board then you wont have a noise to complain about

5 minutes ago, goody1928 said:

you need to find anything at all that will keep it alive but more importantly change that PSU a crappy power supply will blow your board then you wont have a noise to complain about

The board's already half dead (two DIMM's dead, two PCI-e 16x slots dead, the thing doesn'tn even overclock), but I trust the PSU because I've used it for a lot more than this PC and it's survived so far. It's OEM is delta, so it's not chinesium.

Yours faithfully

24 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I have buckets of TIM's I build a lot of PC's and do a lot of upgrades, shame I threw out or sold all the probably better coolers, I never thought I'd need one. $20 is a lot, and actually getting it would cost over €30,

What are your options that are <= €10? I hate to break it to you but most $10 coolers are usually not that far from the intel stock cooler, the one at the top of my head for best low budget would be the Gammaxx 300 which is $13 in my country. If you're dead set on less than €10 then something like the DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS would fit your budget or the Arctic alpine 11 gt but I've heard those coolers are just a tad bit cooler than the stock fan.

3 minutes ago, Mirdon said:

What are your options that are <= €10? I hate to break it to you but most $10 coolers are usually not that far from the intel stock cooler, the one at the top of my head for best low budget would be the Gammaxx 300 which is $13 in my country. If you're dead set on less than €10 then something like the DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS would fit your budget or the Arctic alpine 11 gt but I've heard those coolers are just a tad bit cooler than the stock fan.

I was thinking more of some hack for €10, like taking the cooler from something and spending less than €10 to convert, there are no coolers I know of that cost less than €10

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I was thinking more of some hack for €10, like taking the cooler from something and spending less than €10 to convert, there are no coolers I know of that cost less than €10

Unfortunately I can't help you there, most cpu coolers have substandard fans aside from the higher end ones since it's just considered a free fan for the heat sink which is what you're actually paying for. I don't know what else to tell you, probably get the best static pressure fan on your budget if you already have a heat sink or if you have a fan and just need a heat sink, probably buy the cheapest 2 heat pipe heat sink out there.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

On 2/12/2017 at 5:16 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm assuming it's experiencing pump-out issues like any other average thermal paste. Liquid metal would be much better.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:24 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

Just use the IHS, it doesn't make much of a difference in temps. The issue with delidding here like in Linus' video is that the stock cooler doesn't provide enough mounting pressure to properly close the gap that delidding removes. 

On 2/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

80°C isn't under control, that's called "I hope this shit doesn't get any hotter". I wonder could I out linus linus with some kinda homemade shit....... Oh, hmm, I'm pretty sure I have a pentium 4 cooler somewhere with heat pipes and a tower style..... but no fan fuck. 

80c for peak load is fine in terms of not damaging the cpu. 

Have you tried undervolting the cpu? It's rather easy to do and can result in much lower temps at stock speeds. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm assuming it's experiencing pump-out issues like any other average thermal paste. Liquid metal would be much better.

Just use the IHS, it doesn't make much of a difference in temps. The issue with delidding here like in Linus' video is that the stock cooler doesn't provide enough mounting pressure to properly close the gap that delidding removes. 

80c for peak load is fine in terms of not damaging the cpu. 

Have you tried undervolting the cpu? It's rather easy to do and can result in much lower temps at stock speeds. 

The CPU is actually a really nice binned i5, so it already runs at barely over 1.1V for the stock turbo clock of 3.6GHz. The IHS is glued back on with adhesive, and the retaining arm was shimmed so it applied a little more force. The thermal compound used was quite a bit thicker than average compound, but still quite pliable, I have found it works better for bare die application. Of course a metal based thermal compound would be better, and since there aren't any support component near the die, shorting anything isn't an issue, as for the temps, my dual xeon servers (well used to be more than one but I've been upgrading and only kept one) run well above the 80°C mark, often into 87°C, in the same workload so it won't die but it's rather noisy, note the orange thing on the cooler to change the resident frequency of the fan, so it wouldn't be as loud.  

Yours faithfully