[FIXED] New Build - no monitor signal when graphics card is installed

Hi guys, so I recently upgraded to:

MSI z270 PRO CARBON

Intel i5 7600K

Samsung evo 850 500gb

Corsair Vengence 2x8 GB

In it I stuck my old GTX 970, which is where the problems begin.

I can't get monitor signal through it The card lights up, the fans spin, but it does nothing. The onboard graphics work fine, so I'm using that to type this message.

The monitor will not work if the 970 is installed, unless the bios has been changed to force it to use the onboard graphics. In device manager it can see the 970 is there, and I've installed the drivers for it, but monitor still didn't pick up any output.

I will add that the monitors are hooked up to mini-displayport, and the onboard is HDMI, but I don't see why this should matter after drivers have been installed.

I've also tried the 970 in a different PCI slot, but similar results.

It would be awesome if the card wasn't bricked, so if you guys have any ideas?

Try using the dvi VGA or HDMI instead of the display port (maybe the display port is dead)

13 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Check to see if your iGPU is enabled. On my system if the iGPU is enabled it won't output video until I'm in Windows.

Where might I find that option?

The card has 3 miniDP sockets, one dvi, and one mini HDMI, so Im gonna try pick up  mini HDMI tomorrow.

1 minute ago, InfinityBandit said:

Where might I find that option?

The card has 3 miniDP sockets, one dvi, and one mini HDMI, so Im gonna try pick up  mini HDMI tomorrow.

Check your bios settings. mines under system agent but your BIOS is going to be different. Look around for devices or something. Also look for a setting similar to primary display: PCI-e for example.

I think I know which section you mean, it's the bit which tells your mobo to look at the PCI-e slot for graphics rather than the onboard, right? I tried it last night and no joy, the only way it worked was when I set it to use the IGA graphics (onboard).

FIXED!

So it seems I stupidly forgot that the monitors I'm using are display port to minidisplayport, so weren't picking up the GXF when I was telling them to look under minidisplay.

Seems I only lost a hard drive in an unrelated issue this time.