If Linux supported all games and software would you switch?

TheFlyingSquirrel

Linux or Windows  

90 members have voted

1. 1. If both supoprted all of your appplications and games, would you switch?

• I would move to Linux
    • I would stay with Windows
    • I already use Linux
    • Bro, I use Mac

-

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

if fedora's gpu passtrough support is as magical as they claim, i'm most likely going fedora and slapping a second GPU for a gaming VM with windows.

the main reason i'm still on windows is more a creature of habit like i am with nvidia stuff, rather than an actual preference or need to be on windows :P

tbh if OSX supported more apps and games, I'd be on it instead of Windows

but alas, until someone creates a 10 series driver for hackintoshes, windows it is

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

The closest thing we can get to this at the moment is running Linux natively, and then running a Windows VM with GPU passthrough, which is what I plan on doing when I upgrade to Ryzen, because my 3770K does not support GPU passthrough.

COMIC SANS

If someone offered you $1000 for nothing would you take it?

I don't see why anyone would continue to use a less efficient operating system that spies on you and tries to cram 3rd party apps on your system through the OS (look up the Candy crush application through windows explorer if you don't believe me) and push its own inferior web browsing service if there was an alternative that supported all programs windows uses.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Even if everything was still supported but was more hassle to install/setup I probably would, especially considering I don't really play games anymore I am considering it anyway

2 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Even if everything was still supported but was more hassle to install/setup I probably would, especially considering I don't really play games anymore I am considering it anyway

Software center in Ubuntu and Linux Mint makes things fairly straightforward

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

28 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if fedora's gpu passtrough support is as magical as they claim, i'm most likely going fedora and slapping a second GPU for a gaming VM with windows.

the main reason i'm still on windows is more a creature of habit like i am with nvidia stuff, rather than an actual preference or need to be on windows :P

The fedora gpu passthrough thing is nothing new on the backend, there just making a easy gui for it. Right now its just a few minuts of text file editing and your good

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The fedora gpu passthrough thing is nothing new on the backend, there just making a easy gui for it. Right now its just a few minuts of text file editing and your good

they claim it should be a one click thing, as opposed to the mess it promises to be now, certainly reading up on unraid's official "guide" that essentially just wishes you good luck figuring it out xD

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

they claim it should be a one click thing, as opposed to the mess it promises to be now, certainly reading up on unraid's official "guide" that essentially just wishes you good luck figuring it out xD

i mean its not that hard now in fedora or any other distro. All you really have to do is enable intel_iommu=on(on intel chips only) and enable vt-d in the bios and then add the gpu to the vm.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

i mean its not that hard now in fedora or any other distro. All you really have to do is enable intel_iommu=on(on intel chips only) and enable vt-d in the bios and then add the gpu to the vm.

you're talking to someone that manages to break the samba config file.

Getting OS for free with much more efficient updates? Vs paying to get updates when company feels like giving them? From current software MS Word is only I really need Windows for. All other common ones are almost native Linux software already. Gimp, VLC, Firefox, Opera, QGIS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I use Arch Linux for work and it's bloody darn good.

If it supported all (or more) of the software and games that windows does, I would then completely ditch windows.

Because the thing with windows is, I don't even know how it works. So it does work, most of the time, but when it doesn't well, yar' kind o' screwed. I mean windows just doesn't give you the incent to really look at computers and what a computer is and how a computer works, and then maybe everyone doesn't want to know all that, but I think they should at least know some bits of it, because computers are quite a big thing right know that everyone has to deal with and work with. And you can be a lot more efficient when you know what your computer does, how it does it, and when you can get your computer to do exactly what you need like you need it, and nothing more. That's why I love ArchLinux so much. 

KISS.

P.S. Macs are fine, but don't buy one until Apple gets back to actually knowing what they're doing. They're going nuts right now.

So I take it Microsoft's new CEO has more work to do to get to his goal of making windows a product people want to use instead of having to

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If Linux supported all of the software I use then I'd switch right now. Unfortunately it does not. :(

-KuJoe

You can play pretty much any game on Linux, but it can take a while to get it working. 

1. Linux runs all my applications. 

2. Linux doesn't run the games I play very well. 

I just tried with Ubuntu Studio and SteamOS (brewmaster) a week or so ago to see if I could switch. I was somewhat impressed by SteamOS (brewmaster) for gaming. I played around with both and just couldn't make the switch permanent. 

Ubuntu Studio was great for applications and ease of use. I could also get steam on their and play my games by just downloading them. 

SteamOS made steam very easy to use, but it's buggy currently. It also isn't that great for applications. 

The main problem I encounter is I can get almost anything running on Linux, but when it comes to resource management it's a bit tricky. 

I want to switch to Linux as I've used it for years. If I had to choose as well it would be Ubuntu Studio so I could build on top of that vs. SteamOS which would require something better to build upon. 

I wrote 12.2 TB to my SSD so far. I don't know if I want to even try pushing it further. I would need to get a standard hard drive on the side and play around with it over time. 

Final verdict: I love Ubuntu Studio as it can easily run all my applications just fine. The problem is when it comes to games it's tricky to get the resources managed properly. Once Ubuntu has better resource management (ease of use) for video games I'll switch permanently. 

I can easily get everything maxed in many games after a few hours with Windows 10. From Installing the OS to overclocking. Ubuntu Studio would take me a few days to figure out everything and getting stuck then wanting to just go game for a bit to deload from it makes it difficult when the game isn't running properly. 

My mobile/work rig already runs Linux, and about half of my games run in it natively (granted most are 3rd party ports) and an ever growing list run flawlessly in WINE, (recently installed doom 2016 and multiplay doesn't work but single play works great) I run Antergos, which is Arch Linux with an easy installer. If all my games would run (or at least run in WINE) I would dump windows off of my main gaming rig in a heat beat I hate Windows with a bloody passion.  For many reasons but below is a list of a few of the big ones.

1. Windows starts, oh boy time to let ALL MY APPLICATIONS try to update themselves on their own, competing for resources and slowing my system to a crawl for a few minutes.

vs Linux oh I'll let my ONE package manager check for update for my system and most if not all of my apps.

2. Windows updates are now bundles, oh one part of that latest update broke your system, too bad to uninstall it you also have to uninstall the security updates too, sorry

Linux this simply doesn't happen like ever.

3. and the worst one In Windows, oh you need to update gotta reboot, whats this made a change to certain settings gotta reboot, installed a new program, yeup gonna have to reboot, unistalled a program you guessed it you're gonna have to reboot for that one.  Oh this is a mission critical server, well updates were availbe so I'm just gonna reboot now, without warning taking your ENTIRE OFFICE offline for about 20 minutes while we wait for the server to come back up.

vs Linux -- oh need to update over 100 packages and upgrade the kernel (assuming this is after kernel version 4.1) ok no prob run a simple command or use on of many update GUIs and continue using your computer we will update everything in the background and all updates will be applied without rebooting.  Because taking an entire system offline for updates is silly and stupid.

If Adobe CC and Serato were supported on Linux, I'd be using it all the time. I don't dislike Windows (minus the whole telemetry, data-mining, etc. with W10) but Linux is great. I've been using Fedora after Ubuntu started doing all of the social integration junk a few years back. I need to setup dual boot on my main rig, but waiting for a new m.2 drive first.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:39 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are many how-to's and the best one is the Lvl1Tech post that was actually in TechSyndicate before.. and I tried but couldn't get the pass-through in my arch install.. Maybe it's because it's tougher to do with integrated graphics not a second card... but idk..

I too use only Linux on my laptop which I take everywhere and actually work at, my PC Rig is just for entertainment, gaming, and some programming, (having trouble with Rstudio in my laptop). Aside from that thanks to the excellent wiki and the AUR, there is little I can't do in Arch.

It's basically gaming that has me still on Windows.. My answer to this post is yes a thousand time yes.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

• 2 years later...

I fully use Linux.. always changing Distros but thats part of the fun for me.. currently on Fedora 29. Works great. Games work well on my system in linux (i7 7700k, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4)   I mostly use proton in steam for games. Even able to control all my lighting on my Logitech G213 keyboard, and NZXT Hue+(case fan lighting)

Edited by mbuchholz
being clearer by starting with "I"

No. I like what I use now.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Using Linux for years. Who needs Adobe software suite and craps exclusive to Windows? There is open source alternative to everything. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 2/28/2019 at 1:25 AM, captain_aggravated said:

Made the switch years ago already.  There's basically nothing about Windows I miss.

I'm not going to be "that guy" and say that 2019 is the year of Linux. People have been saying that since you could install Ubuntu without reading a 1500 page book about Linux. I will say that 2018 and 2019 so far have really made strides to get Linux closer to that statement in general. SteamPlay works *okay*, DVXK work *okay*, and the amount of native titles that work on Linux natively is getting bigger. The last two games I bought (Battletech and Parkitect) both have Linux support. I wasn't even basing my decision to buy them on that Linux support either, it was just a nice bonus that I noticed after the fact.