First time server builder OS

Hello, it´s my first time building a home server (NAS), I was looking for some advice on the OS the I should use. Thanks

What are you using it for? How well do you know how to use linux/windows server?

What hardware?

If you willing to configure it yourself, something like centos can do what ever you want, but willl take some configuration.

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you using it for? How well do you know how to use linux/windows server?

What hardware?

If you willing to configure it yourself, something like centos can do what ever you want, but willl take some configuration.

Thanks, I´m going to use an Hp DL380 G7 Chasis, 2x Xeon (X5550) , 48G DDR3 ECC, 4x 146G SAS Drives and dual redundant 750W PSU. I dont have any experience on servers. I´ll use as a safe way of storing projects and as a steam library. Thanks

With that much horsepower you could go the virtual route. If you don't want to pay for any major licensing fees (looking at you M$) then linux + kvm + docker is a good way to go. Sounds like that's going to have a raid card instead of a HBA - use what you got and configure it. This does prevent you from using ZFS, I'm not sure but I assume this prevents you from using btrfs as well. 

If you have a license (one way or the other) the Microsoft Storage Spaces is very easy to use and works well.

8 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

With that much horsepower you could go the virtual route. If you don't want to pay for any major licensing fees (looking at you M$) then linux + kvm + docker is a good way to go. Sounds like that's going to have a raid card instead of a HBA - use what you got and configure it. This does prevent you from using ZFS, I'm not sure but I assume this prevents you from using btrfs as well. 

If you have a license (one way or the other) the Microsoft Storage Spaces is very easy to use and works well.

I do i have a  P410i 512MB BBWC Controlle. And thanks.