Considering f@h

So I've been considering building a F@H rig for a while now, mostly out of boredom.

I have a couple of questions that I didn't find during my (admittedly half assed) searching.

I'm thinking something like a dual LGA1366 Xeon board with either 1 or 2 560Ti's.

• What's more important, CPU or GPU?
  • Will dual CPUs even help that much?
  • When they're performing calculations, are they under severe load? Trying to calculate power consumption.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Depends on the WU.

Depends on the WU and your electric bill. 

Mine are usually around 80-100% usage depending on the WU.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

GPUs will give the higher points.  CPUs and GPUs do different WUs.

WUs vary by load.  I usually see a load moving between 95-99% on my GPUs.  This load under Windows 7 of course.

For GPUs, probably better to find some used 750Tis or 950s.  950s do a decent bit of PPD for low wattage draw.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

GPUs will give the higher points.  CPUs and GPUs do different WUs.

WUs vary by load.  I usually see a load moving between 95-99% on my GPUs.  This load under Windows 7 of course.

For GPUs, probably better to find some used 750Tis or 950s.  950s do a decent bit of PPD for low wattage draw.

Is power draw the main consideration there? I'd be getting the 560Tis for free.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

So I've been considering building a F@H rig for a while now, mostly out of boredom.

Rather than building new rigs, it's always preferable to:

1. First and foremost, use ones idle ones you don't currently crunch with. That's the obvious step.
  2. Upgrade existing machines. Have a Gtx 1060? swap it for a 1070. Do you have yourself a bad LGA775 pentium? Time to jump to Kaby (or Ryzen).

Only after those steps are done that you should think about building rigs.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'm thinking something like a dual LGA1366 Xeon board with either 1 or 2 560Ti's.

• What's more important, CPU or GPU?
  • Will dual CPUs even help that much?
  • When they're performing calculations, are they under severe load? Trying to calculate power consumption.
  1. GPUs are far more important (for F@H) than CPUs. Also, you don't really need many cores. For a single GPU setup, pretty much anything you have will do.
  2. Not much.
  3. Yes. Power consumption will go up. And that's the main reason why we say to upgrade components first, build new rigs later: newer parts are much more energy efficient. Right now, don't buy anything pre Gtx 9xx series for folding.
4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Is power draw the main consideration there? I'd be getting the 560Tis for free.

Yup, that's the biggie. And while the power bill is the immediate concern, remember that all energy becomes heat that has to be dealt with. If you've got free 560tis, sell them and use the money to (as per before) upgrading components.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1. My RX 470 (+20MHz -> 1250MHz) Gets 275,000 points per day while my i5 6500 gets 20k points per day. Take a hint.

2. Not really, but it depends on the work unit and the CPU.

3. Well, it's kind of weird. My RX 470 will be at 100% and drop to 0% quite frequently while it is running. It is usually pinned at 100% though. As a 13 year old with his parents paying the power bill, I can say that power consumption is the main issue when running 24/7.

On 2017-02-12 at 1:46 AM, Imakuni said:

Rather than building new rigs, it's always preferable to:

1. First and foremost, use ones idle ones you don't currently crunch with. That's the obvious step.
  2. Upgrade existing machines. Have a Gtx 1060? swap it for a 1070. Do you have yourself a bad LGA775 pentium? Time to jump to Kaby (or Ryzen).

Only after those steps are done that you should think about building rigs.

1. GPUs are far more important (for F@H) than CPUs. Also, you don't really need many cores. For a single GPU setup, pretty much anything you have will do.
  2. Not much.
  3. Yes. Power consumption will go up. And that's the main reason why we say to upgrade components first, build new rigs later: newer parts are much more energy efficient. Right now, don't buy anything pre Gtx 9xx series for folding.

Yup, that's the biggie. And while the power bill is the immediate concern, remember that all energy becomes heat that has to be dealt with. If you've got free 560tis, sell them and use the money to (as per before) upgrading components.

I'd rather have a computer off in a closet out of the way of everything else just running in the background. I don't have systems that old laying around. I wonder how a 1050Ti would fare for folding. Is it possible to have two of them running on the same thing? I know they can't be ran in SLI, but running two cards is possible iirc.

15 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

1. My RX 470 (+20MHz -> 1250MHz) Gets 275,000 points per day while my i5 6500 gets 20k points per day. Take a hint.

2. Not really, but it depends on the work unit and the CPU.

3. Well, it's kind of weird. My RX 470 will be at 100% and drop to 0% quite frequently while it is running. It is usually pinned at 100% though. As a 13 year old with his parents paying the power bill, I can say that power consumption is the main issue when running 24/7.

Yeah, power isn't terribly expensive but if it's a powerful enough computer it does get a little high. I just think of all the cinnamon buns I could have bought instead...

Do you get to pick workloads that cater more to your set up, or are you given something and if it's more CPU intensive, too bad.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd rather have a computer off in a closet out of the way of everything else just running in the background.

Beware of the heat...

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I wonder how a 1050Ti would fare for folding. Is it possible to have two of them running on the same thing?

While a 1050ti would do okay on it's own, it would be wiser to sell the first one and upgrade to a single better GPU rather than putting 2 1050ti together in the same rig.

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Do you get to pick workloads that cater more to your set up, or are you given something and if it's more CPU intensive, too bad.

You can tell the program not to run on the CPU (or GPU), but that's as far as it goes. You don't have an once of influence as to what you get.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd rather have a computer off in a closet out of the way of everything else just running in the background. I don't have systems that old laying around. I wonder how a 1050Ti would fare for folding. Is it possible to have two of them running on the same thing? I know they can't be ran in SLI, but running two cards is possible iirc.

Yeah, power isn't terribly expensive but if it's a powerful enough computer it does get a little high. I just think of all the cinnamon buns I could have bought instead...

In fact, F@H scales perfectly, because each work unit is independent and only runs on either GPU, so have at it if you are just using it for folding. You do get to pick WUs actually, if you go to File Explorer->This PC->Users->Username->AppData->Roaming->FAHClient->Work You can delete the WU file of the WU you want to dump (check what the Work Queue ID is in Advanced Control). When you start it up again, it will give you a new work unit. Be careful not to do this too much though, because if you return less than 80% of the WUs you are assigned, you will lose your QRB (Quick Return Bonus).