Corsair h100i v2

Hello, I just started my overall first build.

Since most of the parts still haven't been delivered as of now, I started out with installing the CPU liquid cooler first, which is the Corsair H100i v2.

While installing it I noticed that the screws that hold the fans in place on the radiator, give them quite a bit of place to move around. They sit fairly loose overall. Is that intended?

On the pictures you can see that there is a gap of about 1-2 mm. I screwed the screws in as far as possible and did it just the way the manual says.

I then went to install the cooler on the case. And noticed again that the screws weren't completely securing the radiator. I am still able to move it up and down without much force. This may be not that much of a problem since it's installed on the top of the case.

Once I actually secure the cooler on the motherboard it might sit way tighter I guess, but that still won't change anything about the gap between the fans and the rest of the radiator.

The case I'm using is the Be Quiet! Silent base 600.

Am I doing something horribly wrong? As I said, this is my very first build so I am very greatful for any advice I can get.

I made a video of me moving the radiator up and down for better understanding of what I mean.

Thank you! :)

20170211_202444.jpg

20170211_202453.jpg

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I think that is as intended, Can you not screw them in tighter?

It shouldn't be a problem..

No, there are little plastic ledges that prevent the screws to go in further, to remove the possibility to damage the radiator.

If that's how it's supposed to be it would be great. I'm a little worried that the fans will rattle once I actually finish the build.

7 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

No, there are little plastic ledges that prevent the screws to go in further, to remove the possibility to damage the radiator.

If that's how it's supposed to be it would be great. I'm a little worried that the fans will rattle once I actually finish the build.

Well the rubber grommets are there to remove rattling vibrations.

5 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Well the rubber grommets are there to remove rattling vibrations.

They are made out of metal in this cooler, as it seems like. No rubber gromes are included.

7 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

They are made out of metal in this cooler, as it seems like. No rubber gromes are included.

Well, finish the build and see how it is, and if there is a problem then we can go from there.

Since the cpu cooler is a easy componant to switch out

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

you need some washers 

5 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Well, finish the build and see how it is, and if there is a problem then we can go from there.

Since the cpu cooler is a easy componant to switch out

Ok! :) I'll finish the build and if it's not turning out well I'll just grab up some washers.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

13 hours ago, Vandeloy said:

Ok! :) I'll finish the build and if it's not turning out well I'll just grab up some washers.

Yeah, the H110 should've had washers for both the fans and the radiator. I just got a H105 and it has 16 washers, 8 for mounting the radiator, and 8 for the fans.

Granted though, I had to buy new screws / washers anyway because my delta fans needed longer screws (38mm vs 25mm for normal case fans).

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, the H110 should've had washers for both the fans and the radiator. I just got a H105 and it has 16 washers, 8 for mounting the radiator, and 8 for the fans.

Granted though, I had to buy new screws / washers anyway because my delta fans needed longer screws (38mm vs 25mm for normal case fans).

That's a questionable way to cut the price imo, but oh well, I'll just grab some up tomorrow. 

Do you recommend rubber washers or should I be fine with the plain metal ones?

4 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

-snip-

Well, your cooler should've had all of the washers for the screws...

Ah, I went to the local hardware store (Home Depot here in the US). For my cooler, the screws were #6-32 thread with #6 washers. The only downside is that the hardware store washers / screws are silver, so it doesn't really match with the black look of the cooler.

Just a note for anyone insterested. I have the h100i (not version 2). I've probably had it about 2 years. Over this past week my computer was randomly shutting off. I tried tracing it back to driver issues, windows updates, etc, and eventually notice my CPU temps were about 79C so I thought it was just being reported wrong in CorsairLink. Well, I went into the BIOS and checked my temps and it was pretty much the same. 

I have a custom loop in my system as well and the CPU is using the h100i separately. I opened up the PC and touched the tubes and my custom loop was cool and my h100i was pretty hot. I figured the pump was probably screwed since there's hardly any dust in my PC.  So I unscrewed the copper plate on the bottom (holding it upright so water wouldn't leak out and noticed that there was a tiny bit of gunk in the middle | where the water would normally spread over the tiny copper blades. So I took it to the kitchen sink and sprayed the copper part extremely well. Go the little bit of gunk out, put it all back together (reapplied thermal paste too) and temperatures dropped back to about 55C average under load. Low 50C and high 66C according to corsair link. 

My PC is no longer shutting off. Obviously I should have been wearing the "I void warranties" t-shirt at the time, so I failed in that deptartment. Anyways... my assumption is that it could've been a mixture between mild and a little bit of manufacturing debris that caused that. Which is kind of odd that it took 2 years to reach that point.