RX 480 and GTX 1060 price comparison

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

But why are so many of the cards so expensive? This is a little ridculous

Yeah and when you convert it to local currency it makes things worse. Strix is expensive because of its superior cooler and RGB. RGB is like Apple of stuff now

AMD and NVidia survey   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this graph affects your decision in choosing RX or GTX?

• Yes it does
    • No it doesn't
  2. 2. Are you happy with the choice you've made (1060 or 480)?

• Yes
    • No

I am comparing price between different cards, not showing which card is the best

Please note:

• Discount/rebate/promotion will not be counted towards the price
  • Only cards for sale at US Amazon or US Newegg. Other stores will not be accounted for (including newegg marketplace)
  • If you already know, comapring clock speed between AMD RX 480 series and NVIDIA GTX 1060 is wrong, the clock speed are there to compare between AMD cards or between NVIDIA cards
  • Cards are sorted by price, cards with same price are sorted randomly. I used GTX 760 in the past and now RX 480 so I am not bias towards anything.

Low VRAM cards, RX 480 4GB and GTX 1060 3GB 

You can see 2 of team red card claims the cheap spot though the difference with team green is only 5 dollars. Then the 2 teams fight fiercely to have a spot in this table and NVidia then finishes off with their expensive cards at the bottom.

1060 3g vs 480 4g.png

High VRAM cards, RX 480 8GB and GTX 1060 6GB. We see a lot more cards (double the amount), seems manufacturer doesn't care much about value cards

Does team red claims the sweet cheap spot again? No, this time they are even. EVGA Gaming 1060 6GB has the same price as Armor 8G cards. Then they fight and team green ends up winning expensive card competition anyway...

1060 6g vs 480 8g.png

Other thing: most cards have 1 (either mini card or blower style card) or 2 coolers. We do see 3 cooler style cards like the Asus Strix card or Red Devil but only for 6GB/8GB cards.

Reference cards or FE (though FE cards for GTX 1060 was limited edition hence you don't see it selling even for 6GB one) doesn't appear for lower VRAM cards (1060 3gb or 480 4gb) with the exception of Sapphire RX 480 4GB (21260-01-20G)

Some cards don't have base clock, instead they have gaming mode/oc mode. No time to ask around people what's their base clock of those cards. Some cards just have base clock and doesn't boost anywhere. Or they do boost but have no base clock. YES you can overclock it!

Let me know if you spot a mistake.

Price retrieved on Feb 11

This is posted just a few mins after @PCGuy_5960 posted his thread regarding how the RX480 more or less beats the 1060 :P 

Coincidence? I think not...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

This is posted just a few mins after @PCGuy_5960 posted his thread regarding how the RX480 more or less beats the 1060 :P 

Coincidence? I think not...

I posted this yesterday as a status update then went to bed

I just created a 1060 vs 480 thread a while ago :D, I will include the link to this thread in mine as well!

GJ though!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I've got a 1060 6GB by EVGA and I love it, it's small, cool, and powerful- shadowplay is amazing for recording my absolute domination in Overwatch. The truth is the 480 and 1060 trade blows in a lot of games and imo it's pretty much a tossup between the two.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Only issue though is that I'm sure prices have already changed since it was posted, the main issue being random sales on cards, saw a 480 for like $169, was a probably sub par single fan card though

as for the 480 vs 1060, hard to recommend the 1060 when free-sync is going to save you money, and you get a bit of extra VRAM from the 480, and for the DX12/Vulkan future AMD is looking stronger than nvidia

All we need now is for Vega to try and clean up the top end, took AMD far too long to come out with it though

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Only issue though is that I'm sure prices have already changed since it was posted, the main issue being random sales on cards, saw a 480 for like $169, was a probably sub par single fan card though

That's why I did not account any promotion sales or discount

5 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That's why I did not account any promotion sales or discount

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah and when you convert it to local currency it makes things worse. Strix is expensive because of its superior cooler and RGB. RGB is like Apple of stuff now