AMD Ryzen lacks/limits OC on some chips?!

NumLock21
3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD needs to include stock coolers on all of their cpus and not copy intel.

So you can get started on your build as well as test it out until your better cpu cooler arrives. It would suck to have everything arrive, except the cooler, where it will take another week.

The other reason is for backup use. Cooler broke, sending it back for RMA. In the meantime use stock cooler.

But haswell has stock coolers for K chip

22 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah, I got one with my 4790K. Glueing a can of soda on the damn chip would be more effective than that piece of shit alu brick. It can hardly hold base clock without breaking 80-90c. Utter useless.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That's a old cpu

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

That's a old cpu

You don't have to hurt me with my 4460...

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You don't have to hurt me with my 4460...

I have a haswell too. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Even though I didn't plan to get the wraith I'm sad if they are gonna stop making them.

30 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yeah, I got one with my 4790K. Glueing a can of soda on the damn chip would be more effective than that piece of shit alu brick. It can hardly hold base clock without breaking 80-90c. Utter useless.

Mine stayed sub 75 with stock cooling base setting so I think you had a hotter one than the norm

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Mine stayed sub 75 with stock cooling base setting so I think you had a hotter one than the norm

Case cooling and GPU also plays a part. As well as the job you put on the CPU, like benchmarks.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

29 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That's a old cpu

"I'm an old man son, you can't take on an old man!"

- Jack Baker

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Case cooling and GPU also plays a part. As well as the job you put on the CPU, like benchmarks.

Yeah my case cooling probably accounts for my acceptable temps, though that was the main reason I got hi airflow fans so touché

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think it qualifies as a theory. Closest is a hypothesis. 

No, closest would be a wild ass guess. A hypothesis still has some basis in research or prior knowledge of the subject.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, closest would be a wild ass guess. A hypothesis still has some basis in research or prior knowledge of the subject.

A hypothesis is essentially a random guess, it just sounds more professional and implies intent to look up/discover the facts later

Hypothesis... a reminder of your elementary school science projects.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

A hypothesis is essentially a random guess, it just sounds more professional and implies intent to look up/discover the facts later

A hypothesis is a guess that builds off of prior knowledge and limited evidence). It's essentially an educated guess vs. pulling a guess out of one's ass.

A scientific hypothesis takes it a step further: it must be able to be tested.

As it stands, there is no actual evidence supporting the multitude of SKUs rumors are pointing to (they wouldn't be rumors if there was), and there is no prior knowledge regarding Zen SKU possibilities, other than an Octocore was confirmed by AMD. Hence, this thread, and every other one regarding potential SKUs, are wild ass shots in the dark.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

A hypothesis is a guess that builds off of prior knowledge and limited evidence). It's essentially an educated guess vs. pulling a guess out of one's ass.

A scientific hypothesis takes it a step further: it must be able to be tested.

That's a study not a hypothesis, a hypothesis proposes a reasoning for a question, a study tests it to confirm or disprove said hypothesis

That's a study not a hypothesis, a hypothesis proposes a reasoning for a question, a study tests it to confirm or disprove said hypothesis

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hypothesis

Only in Philosophy does a hypothesis not require prior, limited evidence.

Also, nothing I said leads to the conclusion that I was talking about a study. Zilch, nada, null.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

This thread is invalid. AMD already said every Ryzen CPU is unlocked and ready for overclocking. XFR is a feature on the higher-end models that does auto-OC'ing when power and thermals allow it, and they're also the better binned CPUs (not that the lower-end models will OC badly, just not as good as their higher-end counterparts). It also creates an SKU for AMD to sell at a higher price. They're still a business, they need to earn money. Of course they won't include a stock cooler, at those prices they expect people to get their own cooler to slap onto it.

Ye ole' train

i dont get what this post is about, AMD lready stated offcialy that ALL their CPUs have UNLOCKED multiplier, so every cpu is overclockable, some better than the others where the binned chips will come as X variant, only chipset locks overclocking, so you pick nthusiast or mainstream motherboards, thats about it.

I'll probably buy one of the X series chips to overclock like a boss 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Hasn't AMD said that all chips would be overclockable?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Oh, that sounds like some pretty sweet stuff. Also it makes sense xD.

Groomlake Authority

I don't really think it's a bad thing since who wants to OC their chips will buy the X version anyway , and if someone is on a budget will and should be satisfied even with a limited amount of oc IMHO.

Didn't AMD already say the standard chips will come with a standard cooler and the X chips will come with a Wraith cooler? I was sure I read that somewhere not too long ago, like <week.

Well, binning is there, also every chip will be OCable so that's great. Though I'm interested to see XFR and how it does. Also, wouldn't mind having Wraith cooler bundled :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |