AMD R9-290 (non-x) Waterblock with pics

For those that are shopping or are looking for information on waterblocks for a R9-290 non-x graphics card, I hope this info can be of some use.

So in North America I have only seen waterblocks available from EK. (I'm sure every other brand will soon be on the market) Also these blocks say they are for the r9-290x, the make no claim or mention of compatibility for a 290 non-x card.

After the reviews when live late Monday night for the 290 non-x, I was getting the feeling that this card shared the same design as its big brother, the 290x.  In hearing the outstanding news of the price and performance of the 290 non-x, I made up my mind that a pair of 290 non-x's were about to become the successor of my 7970's. (Was also quite annoyed with inability to purchase 290x's, watched Newegg all week and always "out-of-stock")

Tuesday morning I made my purchase of non-x 290's and decided to take a risk and gamble on a set of EK-FC R9-290X Clean CSQ Nickel Plexi blocks. My thinking is that 290x blocks are going to work on a reference 290 non-x card.

Here is the outcome:

7XFmsvJ.jpg

LUOG7h0.jpg

IGGaIWO.jpg

Lx868kn.jpg

W2Hvxh4.jpg

In closing these blocks although not specified to work with a non-x 290, fit and work perfectly!!! :D   They literally just drop on and then screw securely with no problems.

Also for anyone interested in knowing, I bought the sapphire card due to claims that the Asus and Sapphire 290x's came with the better overclocking Hynix RAM modules. Well either that was a lie or the non-x cards don't get the same treatment. Mine have the claimed to be dumpy Elpida modules. I guess I'll know soon enough now that their under water and can really be pushed.

Need speeds and temps noooooooooooooow :)

@ work til 12:30am EST!! :(   I've been sitting here installing the blocks & making this post, CAN NOT WAIT TO GET HOME ALREADY AND GET GOING ON THE OC'S AND TEMPS!!!!!

@ work til 12:30am EST!! :(   I've been sitting here installing the blocks & making this post, CAN NOT WAIT TO GET HOME ALREADY AND GET GOING ON THE OC'S AND TEMPS!!!!!

I'm a few hours behind :) I can wait xD

Hi, would you mind sharing where you purchased the waterblocks? I want to get one, but they seem to be out of stock. (I'm in the U.S.)

If you're in the US, sidewinder, ppcs, frozen cpu. If canada, Dazmode is pretty much all EK now.

Nice, post benches and temps! :)

I'm gonna wait for the nickel plated one by Aquacomputer, not a big fan of EK.

lol Sidewinder will never carry any EK products after the nickel corossion debacle, can't say I blame them.

Fact is, I can't find them in stock anywhere...

God I love that fan design it looks so boss same with reference NVIDIAs man it's cool.

It's like so cool that it puts me off water cooling...

lol Sidewinder will never carry any EK products after the nickel corossion debacle, can't say I blame them.

Yeah, forgot about that. Gary is awesome.

Fact is, I can't find them in stock anywhere...

Place a preorder on FrozenCPU or PPC, orders are fulfilled as and when they receive small shipments. Mine shipped yesterday for example. Both vendors are expecting a large shipment early next week which should take care of all preorders and allow the item to be back in stock.

Hurry up with those benchmarks man!!! Make sure to let linus know too. I'm sure he'd be interested!

I WANT BENCHMARKS.....FAST! please :mellow: ?

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Benchmarks!! Will give me a good idea on the gains for my 290x

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I have the same GPU block for mt 290x, I am waiting on other parts for me to start building my custom loop.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

While I do have my heart set on at least one 290x it is good to see the EK 290x block fit on the 290. Still waiting on any benchmarks comparing the stock 290(X) to the watercooled variety. When you do get a chance post some benchmarks and temps.

Benchmarks!! Will give me a good idea on the gains for my 290x

I WANT BENCHMARKS.....FAST! please :mellow: ?

Hurry up with those benchmarks man!!! Make sure to let linus know too. I'm sure he'd be interested!

Need speeds and temps noooooooooooooow :)

K so I'm at work now but I see the new beta of afterburner was released today(beta 17)   It claims that it unlocks voltage control, So I will try it out when I get home later tonight. I know you guys wanna see some numbers and temps really badly.  

Spoiler**   With my current overclock no matter what bench or game, I Max @ 52c :D

actually ,i was on my crush's facebook page and my heart beat was quite high.. :wub: :blush: ...but it went up 10 folds in expectation for numbers when i loaded this page! :)

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Dude!! We need number now!

I Know! I Know! My weekend plans were ruined by work! I ended up having to work someone else’s shifts along with mine. I've had no time, after work last night I came home but just couldn't stay awake. I woke up today and pretty much headed right back to work.

I'm not making any promises but I'm determined to get some numbers done tonight along with screenshots and possibly a vid of fps while @ 5760x1080 in bf4. ( I won't get home til like 12:30am  though)

Sorry to keep everone waiting and thanks for the massive interest, I don't want to disappoint.

good to see that the waterblock works. if i get an R9 290 myself, i'm definitely considering putting it underwater.

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear