mouse recommendations for mac

daniielrp

Hi,

I'm looking for a mouse to replace my Mighty Mouse on my Mac. I know what you're thinking... a Mighty Mouse in 2017? WTF?!... Yes it's old, but surprisingly has some decent features I would like to keep on a new mouse. It's going to be used 8+ hours a day at work and I'd like to have:

- Good tracking, I can't stand jumpy cursor control.

- 4-way scrolling. The rollerball on the Mighty Mouse is so good for smooth all directional scrolling, and we log a lot of things in Google sheets, so scrolling in both directions is really useful.

- Nav keys for browser. Most of the work is done in browser-based tools so back/forward is useful (i currently don't have this, so no biggie)

- 1 or 2 extra buttons. I often have a lot of windows open, so make a lot of use of mission control, so even just 1 extra button to open this would be great.

- Wired or wireless, no preference.

- A bit more ergonomic than the mighty mouse :)

Ideally if you use a Mac all day and have a mouse you've used that has been good for you, let me know! 

I use a mac a lot. i love the magic mouse. It needs some getting used to because of the fact that it is so flat, but you can setup gestures to open mission control and swipe between spaces and such. it has omnidirectional scrolling build in and the battery is crazy good. i last a month+ with battery.

1 minute ago, JPotze said:

I use a mac a lot. i love the magic mouse. It needs some getting used to because of the fact that it is so flat, but you can setup gestures to open mission control and swipe between spaces and such. it has omnidirectional scrolling build in and the battery is crazy good. i last a month+ with battery.

I've thought about it a lot, it is just the flat part that concerns me, do you ever get any pain or anything from use?

I agree with the mx master, I have had it for 3 months for my laptop and had a lot of work done with it over the xmas holidays when I was away, its amazing for productivity, especially if you have spreadsheets.

You can also setup 4 additional gestures on the thumb rest and it can connect to 3 different devices at the same time, switching between them is just flipping a button on the bottom. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

23 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a mouse to replace my Mighty Mouse on my Mac. I know what you're thinking... a Mighty Mouse in 2017? WTF?!... Yes it's old, but surprisingly has some decent features I would like to keep on a new mouse. It's going to be used 8+ hours a day at work and I'd like to have:

- Good tracking, I can't stand jumpy cursor control.

- 4-way scrolling. The rollerball on the Mighty Mouse is so good for smooth all directional scrolling, and we log a lot of things in Google sheets, so scrolling in both directions is really useful.

- Nav keys for browser. Most of the work is done in browser-based tools so back/forward is useful (i currently don't have this, so no biggie)

- 1 or 2 extra buttons. I often have a lot of windows open, so make a lot of use of mission control, so even just 1 extra button to open this would be great.

- Wired or wireless, no preference.

- A bit more ergonomic than the mighty mouse :)

Ideally if you use a Mac all day and have a mouse you've used that has been good for you, let me know! 

i actually once used an apple trackpad thing with my PC once, given how well it works with windows i imagine it is badass on OSX. are you a gesture kinda guy ? or a physical mouse kinda guy ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

45 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

i actually once used an apple trackpad thing with my PC once, given how well it works with windows i imagine it is badass on OSX. are you a gesture kinda guy ? or a physical mouse kinda guy ?

I love the gestures on the macbook trackpad, but I only use it as a "laptop" for maybe an hour a day in meetings, the rest of the time it's hooked up to a external monitor/keyboard/mouse. The magic trackpad could be an option...