Replacing the stock fans in a NZXT H440 - Is it worth it?

haroldj97

I am planning doing a new build soon with no real set budget in my existing NZXT H440 case with a blue/black colour scheme and going more for aesthetics and a silent computer whilst also still maintaining performance . I know this case isn't the best for air flow but I was wondering, would it be worth replacing the stock fans in this case and adding more? There are 3 fan mounts at the front (120mm), 3 fan mounts on the top (120mm) and one on the rear (140mm) and was think of replacing the ones on the front and adding ones to the top with Corsair SP120 fans and replacing the fan on the back with a Corsair AF140 fan for a total of 7 fans.  Is it worth while replacing the stock NZXT fans and more?  

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

7 fans is going to be pretty noisy, especially if you are using stock fans, which are traditionally cheaper. 

Thats what I was thinking. The stock fans now are fairly loud when the system is under load, would think the Corsair ones would be quieter. If not having 7 fans in the case because of noise, would it be worth having 5 Corsair fans in total that replace the 3 on the front and the on the back and also adding one to the top?

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

7 fans is going to be pretty noisy, especially if you are using stock fans, which are traditionally cheaper. 

More fans doesn't necessarily mean more noise but rather less on most cases.

Additional fans means lower RPM and therefor lower noise.

2 minutes ago, haroldj97 said:

Thats what I was thinking. The stock fans now are fairly loud when the system is under load, would think the Corsair ones would be quieter. If not having 7 fans in the case because of noise, would it be worth having 5 Corsair fans in total that replace the 3 on the front and the on the back and also adding one to the top?

If you want the best fans you should totally opt for Noctua rather than Corsair, they have black ones now!

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

If you want the best fans you should totally opt for Noctua rather than Corsair, they have black ones now!

The Noctura industrial ones? If so, being really picky I'm not too sure about the brown corners on them. OK. If I were to add more fans I would plug them all into the PWM fan hub that is included with the case so the RPM of them all would be lower when the system is under little to no load. So would you recommended to get 7 new fans, stick with the ones that are already in the case or just replace the stock ones that are there now?

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

More fans doesn't necessarily mean more noise but rather less on most cases.

Additional fans means lower RPM and therefor lower noise.

That totally depends on the quality of the fans. I've got a similar case. Even when the fans are running at their lowest speed, it's quite noticeable. 

I honestly don't think you'll see much of a difference past 3 fans. Measure your temps with a stress test, replace the 140mm fan, remove a couple of your choosing, and see if the temperature changes. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Or these http://amzn.to/2kbqyfU

They use magnets and black magic. Every time you turn on your computer a tiny goat is sacrificed by the wizards that live inside the fan. 

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Or these http://amzn.to/2kbqyfU

They use magnets and black magic. Every time you turn on your computer a tiny goat is sacrificed by the wizards that live inside the fan. 

There cheaper than the AF and SP ones I was looking. Are theses as good and are they quieter when at lower RPM? So shall I just stick with replacing the ones that are in there now?

2 minutes ago, haroldj97 said:

The Noctura industrial ones? If so, being really picky I'm not too sure about the brown corners on them. OK. If I were to add more fans I would plug them all into the PWM fan hub that is included with the case so the RPM of them all would be lower when the system is under little to no load. So would you recommended to get 7 new fans, stick with the ones that are already in the case or just replace the stock ones that are there now?

They have costumizable corners, CHROMAX! You can buy white extensions for them.

Well if you find them unbearably loud, get new ones.

On a sidenote; I'm using the SP silent versions in my case, one 140mm and five 120mm.

Even with the silent settings on my motherboard they're noticable.

I wouldn't recommend replacing/adding fans untill you know that either
a) The temps in the case are high
b) The noise is unbearable

Replace the fans if it's a must only. I wouldn't recommend replacing them just for kicks and giggles, not really worth it to spend 50$ on fans for no reason IMO, but rather spend that 50$ on better components or a better cooler for your CPU.

1 hour ago, just tilt said:

I wouldn't recommend replacing/adding fans untill you know that either
a) The temps in the case are high
b) The noise is unbearable

Replace the fans if it's a must only. I wouldn't recommend replacing them just for kicks and giggles, not really worth it to spend 50$ on fans for no reason IMO, but rather spend that 50$ on better components or a better cooler for your CPU.

Currently, with an i5 2500k @ stock frequency, temps are around 45 degrees idling and reach 70 - 75 whilst gaming. I am planning on upgrading to an i7 7700k or a AMD Ryzen CPU if they are any good, will probably wait and see then if the temps are any different 

7 hours ago, haroldj97 said:

There cheaper than the AF and SP ones I was looking. Are theses as good and are they quieter when at lower RPM? So shall I just stick with replacing the ones that are in there now?

I haven't used them, although I'm planning to buy them. From what I've read they are incredibly quiet compared to how much air they move. 

On 2/10/2017 at 5:25 AM, haroldj97 said:

Currently, with an i5 2500k @ stock frequency, temps are around 45 degrees idling and reach 70 - 75 whilst gaming. I am planning on upgrading to an i7 7700k or a AMD Ryzen CPU if they are any good, will probably wait and see then if the temps are any different 

Those temps are fine. Unless you've turned your fans down and still find them too loud, there's no need to buy new fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.